I have a confession:

I’ve been quite critical of Cantwell on this forum, not that I thought he was a bad player I just thought he had a long way to go to be the player people think he is already. My confession is Cantwell has matured greatly since the Bournemouth game (when he and Buendia were taken out of the team for attitude problems).  Cantwell is now looking a real rounded player I hoped he’d become. I’m looking for a great pre-season and Cantwell taking his game up another notch.

I’ve also been critical of Dowell in the fact that I said the jury is still out and what we had seen (up to his recent run) has been underwhelming. Dowell has started to raise his game and show decent form enough to see why we’ve bought him. He looks if he keeps progressing a hybrid of Stiepermann and Vrancic. Like Cantwell I hope he has a really strong finish to the season and an excellent pre season so he take take his game to the next level in the Pl.

Congratulations, well done to Cantwell and Dowell. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jersey Canary said:

I have a confession:

I’ve been quite critical of Cantwell on this forum, not that I thought he was a bad player I just thought he had a long way to go to be the player people think he is already. My confession is Cantwell has matured greatly since the Bournemouth game (when he and Buendia were taken out of the team for attitude problems).  Cantwell is now looking a real rounded player I hoped he’d become. I’m looking for a great pre-season and Cantwell taking his game up another notch.

I’ve also been critical of Dowell in the fact that I said the jury is still out and what we had seen (up to his recent run) has been underwhelming. Dowell has started to raise his game and show decent form enough to see why we’ve bought him. He looks if he keeps progressing a hybrid of Stiepermann and Vrancic. Like Cantwell I hope he has a really strong finish to the season and an excellent pre season so he take take his game to the next level in the Pl.

Congratulations, well done to Cantwell and Dowell. 

I am confident that they will sleep and therefore play better now they know that they have your approval.

• Haha 3

I'm going to agree with this. 

It may sound unfair, but the impression I got last summer with Cantwell was that unlike Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis, he had let the fame and success of the previous go to his head a bit. Farke was clearly unimpressed too, hence his removal from the squad in the early part of the season. 

However, he has clearly got his head down and grafted this season, and we're seeing the results on the pitch. He's developing into an excellent player, and to buy someone like him in the summer would cost us a good £20m. Last summer, I wouldn't have been disappointed to see him go, but I'm bloody glad he didn't.

• Like 1

Young players can easily get their heads turned, that's why it's a revelation to have players like Aarons in the team who despite being linked to some big named teams has continue to plow on with consistently top drawer performances. Part of that is down to the ethos of the team, being a family owned club and all that jazz, but also due to the way that Farke and Webber manage the youngsters. Just looking at Maddison, and maybe to an extent Godfrey they know they are being looked after, but with the Murphy's there's also the other side of that where they make the leap to soon and fail

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It may sound unfair, but the impression I got last summer with Cantwell was that unlike Aarons, Godfrey and Lewis, he had let the fame and success of the previous go to his head a bit. Farke was clearly unimpressed too, hence his removal from the squad in the early part of the season. 

However, he has clearly got his head down and grafted this season, and we're seeing the results on the pitch. He's developing into an excellent player, and to buy someone like him in the summer would cost us a good £20m. Last summer, I wouldn't have been disappointed to see him go, but I'm bloody glad he didn't.

I remember agreeing with someone who had said that Cantwell would probably be more suited to the top flight than the championship, so although we knew he was a good player I dont think I wouldve been massively disappointed if he had moved on in the summer. But he proved me wrong. Think hes had inconsistent spells through this season but like the rest of them have kicked on after xmas.

6 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm struggling to think of a similar player that you could get for just £20M. Maybe I'm unaware of a young English attacking midfielder on the fringes of the national U21 team that we could snap up...

5 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I never specified English, did I?

Being English massively inflates the price tag. You might find a few players of similar age and ability...But, my point is that we won't be signing anyone anywhere near as good as Cantwell in the near future. The only way such players end up here is because we develop them.

• Like 1

Just now, Petriix said:

Being English massively inflates the price tag. You might find a few players of similar age and ability...But, my point is that we won't be signing anyone anywhere near as good as Cantwell in the near future. The only way such players end up here is because we develop them.

Of course, that is quite clear. 

My point was just a throwaway remark really that wasn't supposed to be the main point of my post, as I know that we won't be spending £20m on anyone this summer and we're highly unlikely to find someone better than Cantwell within our price range, unless we can unearth another Buendia.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

My point was just a throwaway remark really that wasn't supposed to be the main point of my post, as I know that we won't be spending £20m on anyone this summer and we're highly unlikely to find someone better than Cantwell within our price range, unless we can unearth another Buendia.

Ok, I just thought you were under-valuing Cantwell at £20M. I'd be livid if we sold him for that.

Just now, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Remember Dennis Man from Steau Bucharest, we were linked to him in the summer then their chairman started talking to the press. Think we wanted him but were being put off by how public it became. He joined Parma in january for around £12m, they look they are getting relegated to Serie B. 7 points adrift and teams above them having games in hand. Maybe one we might revisit.

11 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Ok, I just thought you were under-valuing Cantwell at £20M. I'd be livid if we sold him for that.

No, not at all. I know Cantwell is worth more than that in the current market; I just plucked a random(ish) figure to show how important he is to us, because we'd need to spend at least that to replace him like-for-like.

• Like 1

Both are excellent reminders that us lot are basically idiots who barely deserve to comment on footballing matters at all!

I'll admit I was wrong about both. Especially Cantwell. What a stunner of a season he's had!

• Like 1