dylanisabaddog

Looking for 3 teams worse than us next year

Hopefully the teams that come up with us. I assume Newcastle will get rid of Bruce in the summer so they're an unknown. I'm hoping Burnley continue their downward trajectory.

Something that has surprised me is how poorly Wolves have done this year given just how many good players they have.

Not that I think they will struggle next year mind, but still. But yeah, Newcastle is a funny one.

Well I'd certainly fancy us to pip whoever comes up with us next season from the champs, Watford might do okay but really hard to see any of the teams currently occupying the play-offs staying up. 

So that just leaves one / two of Palace, Southampton, Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton that we need to finish above of. I can't see Villa / Wolves / Leeds and anyone above getting dragged into it. But I think with a couple of quality additions we could really give those 5 teams a serious test, and some! 

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler
  • Like 2

Sort out our impending CDM issue and retain our jewells and there will a number of teams worse than us next season, that's for sure.

My only concern is the usual issue of physicality. Looking at clubs like Burnley and Crystal Palace, they fill their ranks with big athletic individuals who appera to have football skills as a second priority. Thisof course is nothing new but we need to be ready for that type of lower PL team when they rock up to CR.

Can't frickin wait

• Like 1

Not guaranteed that Bielsa will still be there and as we all know he's the greatest coach the planet has ever seen.

Wouldn't be massively surprised if they follow a similar path to a certain other unpleasant Yorkshire club.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, East Rider said:

Sort out our impending CDM issue and retain our jewells and there will a number of teams worse than us next season, that's for sure.

My only concern is the usual issue of physicality. Looking at clubs like Burnley and Crystal Palace, they fill their ranks with big athletic individuals who appera to have football skills as a second priority. Thisof course is nothing new but we need to be ready for that type of lower PL team when they rock up to CR.

Can't frickin wait

That was definitely what caused us problems last time. We need a brick ****house who can play football for Skipp's position.  Hanging on to the crown jewels is going to be the difficult thing.

Newcastle, Burnley, Brighton, whoever wins the play offs (I actually think Watford will have a decent season). 

I actually really don't see us being in the relegation battle this time next season. 

Let's hope Newcastle remain a basket case.

Bielsa leaves Leeds and Leeds then do a Leeds.

Barnsley and Swansea get promoted with us.

And we get some luck next season too.

This is a question for after the transfer window has shut. 17th would still be a great achievement for me.

21 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

This is a question for after the transfer window has shut. 17th would still be a great achievement for me.

This^^

I will be very happily surprised if we stay up, but what happens with players in and out may help us.

Being realistic, if we could keep our best squad and build on them we’d still be favourites to go down, we won’t have massive funds to spend while Watford probably will. To think we won’t be in a relegation battle is a little unrealistic but you never know we could just have the experience of those from last time to call on.

• Like 1

Think a few of you are underestimating Burnley a bit- I know they lost to a crappy Newcastle side today but if Dyche stays I think they will be fine.

The one I'd keep an eye on is Crystal Palace- if they decided to move on from Hodgson as their fans want they may try to switch to more 'attractive' style and that sort of change can unsettled a team if done too quickly. 

Also in an ideal world a team like Barnsley win the play-offs- I think they'd be pretty ill equipped for a season in the Premier League and might just take the money and look longer term.

LDC, while I doff my cap at your positivity, 4th from bottom after 38 games will be the realistic target at the outset for the club at this stage of development. Anything above that is bonus territory. If we manage to stay up next year, then we can hopefully start looking upwards. 

We'll need our best players to stay & perform consistently, some very shrewd recruitment (e.g. CB, CDM, ST, probably a FB or two for depth), luck with injuries and probably a bit of luck in general. Sadly finance is king and I would hazard a guess we'll be in 20th position in that regard when the starting gun is fired. 

Brighton, Burnley and Newcastle have been fairly poor at times this season, Southampton possibly if Ings gets injured or sold. I think palace and wolves have enough in the squad to finish midtable again. Leeds and Villa, who knows, could see one of them in the fight if they lose a player or two. I think we can compete, just hope we do a better job this time around and invest in our weak spots at CB and CF!

44 minutes ago, Felixfan said:

I fear we will be favourites to go down again.

I’m not sure what this actually means? Favourites with the bookies? In which case that means nothing, just a load of idiots who think Norwich went down with a poor record last time, so it will happen again. Ditto brainless “experts” like Adrian Durham (TBF apparently he’s said he’s will stay up?) who can’t see any further than two seasons ago. Or do *you* think we’ll go down again?

Edited by Nuff Said

Cannot abide this attitude of can we find "three teams worse than us".  What is it that gives people such a negative outlook?   How about trying to see how many teams we might be better than next season?  You might find more than three then.........

5 hours ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

Brighton, Watford, Newcastle, Brentford, Palace and Burnley

Dont see Palace or Burnley going down. They are like two finely honed engines designed to finish 12th and 13th in the Premier league. Burnley maybe more likely to go down.

I fancy Palace to struggle next season. Hodgson is likely to leave and eleven of their first team squad are out of contract. They'll all need replacing and players that are any good cost a bomb at Premier League level. A new coach and a mixed bag of players might spell trouble, but then again Watford did it for years and it worked.

6 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Cannot abide this attitude of can we find "three teams worse than us".  What is it that gives people such a negative outlook?   How about trying to see how many teams we might be better than next season?  You might find more than three then.........

It's experience and knowledge that gives us a realistic outlook. 

Don't underestimate the difficulty of going up and staying up, especially for a self funded club. It would be a wonderful achievement.

• Like 1

You'd expect the other two promoted teams to struggle so that leaves one from Burnley, Palace and Newcastle all of whom have oldish squads with several players out of contract at the end of the season.

Pretty negative statement OP.

Perhaps three teams 'not as good as us' would have been a better way of putting it.

I suppose most of us are already glancing at the way the lower end of the Premier League is unfolding in order to assess our chances for survival next season.

I guess it will be the usual suspects ie. the three promoted sides, the Burnleys and the Brightons and perhaps a Villa  or Leeds will do a Sheffield United.

Some teams do not have Premier League perpetuity written in their DNA. Teams like the two B's above, along with Palace and even Newcastle (who shouldn't but always seem to have.) I'm surprised by Spam. They won't repeat this season's achievements in a hurry.

Last time around I was actually more positive. I assumed that Farkeball would take the Premier League by storm and that we would attain a respectable position, perhaps lower-mid. This could have been the case without the selective injuries and the break.

The run-in was a stunner and although I believe us to be stronger, more experienced and wealthier atm I am currently more wary. So much depends upon the Summer dealings .... in and out.

The ins didn't work out too well last time, but as I said "more experienced" now.