birchfest

What would you do with our youngsters next season?

With promotion effectively sealed we know that this is going to be an extremely important window for the club to try and secure top flight football for a second season. I think we all know that some extra quality is going to be needed to try and achieve that, I’m certain the club will already be working on getting those targets in the building as soon as possible.

But I think it’s also going to be an important summer for many of our younger players who have been on the fringes, the risk of stunting their development if they don’t get a look in being my biggest concern, whilst also trying to balance who really could come in and make a difference.

So, the options I’m curious to know, who do you keep in the building to be part of the first team squad, who do you send on loan (and to which league/country) and who could be on the way out from the following;

Idah, Martin, Mumba, Omabamidele, McCallum, Omotoyo, Famewo, Soto, Bushiri, Adshed

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I think we’ll find Bushiri another club, Mumba may stay in the squad, the rest on loan

Mumba will stay

13 minutes ago, birchfest said:

With promotion effectively sealed we know that this is going to be an extremely important window for the club to try and secure top flight football for a second season. I think we all know that some extra quality is going to be needed to try and achieve that, I’m certain the club will already be working on getting those targets in the building as soon as possible.

But I think it’s also going to be an important summer for many of our younger players who have been on the fringes, the risk of stunting their development if they don’t get a look in being my biggest concern, whilst also trying to balance who really could come in and make a difference.

So, the options I’m curious to know, who do you keep in the building to be part of the first team squad, who do you send on loan (and to which league/country) and who could be on the way out from the following;

Idah, Martin, Mumba, Omabamidele, McCallum, Omotoyo, Famewo, Soto, Bushiri, Adshed

Idah will go on loan if we sign another striker which I think we will.

Mumba will stay.

Omabamidele will stay.

The rest I see going on loan.

2 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Absolutely no mention of Sinani???

Possibly a loan but I wouldn’t be surprised if we cut our losses with him

18 minutes ago, Don’t be Krul said:

Absolutely no mention of Sinani???

Hes 24 so hardly a youngster in my opinion. He was always a bit of a punt and I don't see him playing in the Premier League any time soon.

48 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Bushri will move on I'd imagine, Famewo, Omobamidele and Mumba seem like the most likely to be here next season, the rest probably loans. However Farke is usually happy to give them a pre season to impress and that can create the odd surprise.

No idea and I think it will be really interesting to see what they do, in terms of incomings and outgoings. It will really test their ethos.

Webber always speaks about not blocking the pathways of young players with potential. Many of the players that you mentioned have impressed, but probably don't seem ready for PL football. Keeping them as second choice is a risk. For example, if we went with Ginnoulis and McCullum at left back and DG got injured for 3 months, we'll be left with a player who was considered too raw for us this season.

With that in mind, I would imagine that a few of our signings will be loan with an option to buy, if we stay up. 

If I had to guess, I would imagine that Idah and Mumba will stay with the squad. Famewo and McCullum as possibilities. The rest out on loan.

I think that Mumba and Omobamidele are the only ones who will be in our squad for next season. Famewo has done well at League One level it seems, but probably needs a Championship loan to see if he's able to make the next step up. McCallum might possibly be considered as a backup to Dimi; if fit, you'd expect Dimi to start every week. Idah, Soto and Martin could do with Championship loans, Omotoye needs another year in League One, Bushiri I think will be moved on, and Adshead only has a year left on his contract so may also be sold. If we rate him enough to offer him a new deal, Championship or League One would be logical destinations.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birchfest said:

Idah, Mumba, Omobamidele & Soto to stay & be squadders.  Poss Martin & McCallum as well.

McAlear, Omotoye, Bushiri & Adshead to be loaned out (also Oxborough & Barden)

Famewo is no longer a youngster (he'll be in 23 in November) and I can't see him progressing with us.

Being back in the PL means there is cash to keep some of the U23 borderlines for another season, at least.

Probably best not to ask the PinkUn considering a decent amount on here wanted Cantwell out on loan to the championship when we got promoted last time out 😉

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Probably best not to ask the PinkUn considering a decent amount on here wanted Cantwell out on loan to the championship when we got promoted last time out 😉

I keep seeing people say this as some kind of gotcha, as if it was a hugely unreasonable opinion at time time.

Cantwell was a squad player in the season we went up and I think thecstep forward he took in pre season was a surprise to everyone, likely even Farke.

10 minutes ago, king canary said:

I keep seeing people say this as some kind of gotcha, as if it was a hugely unreasonable opinion at time time.

Cantwell was a squad player in the season we went up and I think thecstep forward he took in pre season was a surprise to everyone, likely even Farke.

My point is almost exactly what you're saying.

Although quite a few of us thought Cantwells talents were better with us than on loan elsewhere....just sayin'

However the point is we have absolutely no idea where Farke sees our young players. See just 10 days ago the 'mistake not buying another CB, Omobamidele is unproven' for yet another in a long list of examples.

23 minutes ago, hogesar said:

My point is almost exactly what you're saying.

Although quite a few of us thought Cantwells talents were better with us than on loan elsewhere....just sayin'

However the point is we have absolutely no idea where Farke sees our young players. See just 10 days ago the 'mistake not buying another CB, Omobamidele is unproven' for yet another in a long list of examples.

I agree completely with the first and third sentences / paragraphs. However, whilst I never subscribed to the Cantwell hate that he got simply because he wasn't Buendia at the end of the season when Emi was suspended, I cannot see anyone expecting him to make the sort of impact he did, hoping maybe but expecting anything other than the odd cameo in the premiership would have been an irrational position based upon the information available at the time and a loan would have been a sensible idea.

Edited by All the Germans

Most of the youngsters will be best served with a loan than occasional games off the bench in the Premiership. Omobamidele has looked very promising but it's only three games in a set side at the top of the Champs. As others have said, they'll probably get some of the pre-season to show where they are at, but we are certainly a centre-half light. I'd actually keep Famewo or Bushiri as the fifth one (Gibson, Hanley, new signing, Zimmermann, Famewo/Bushiri) depending on pre-season and let Omobamidele and the other one of those two get a season at a Champs or League One side.

Barden and Mair should definitely be on loan. No-brainer for younger goalies.

Idah should, especially if we get another striker. Same for Soto and probably also Martin. 

Adshead is a funny one. He was good in League One with Rochdale so proven at that level, so the question is - how's he done abroad during his loan in the Netherlands? Is he ready to pull a Cantwell? 

Omabamidele is the interesting one. He hasn't really been pushed yet so the games against Bournemouth, Watford and Barnsley will be interesting. But it's very unusual to see youngsters playing at Centre Back in the Premier League. If we do let him go elsewhere we definitely need an open recall clause.

9 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Omabamidele is the interesting one. He hasn't really been pushed yet so the games against Bournemouth, Watford and Barnsley will be interesting. But it's very unusual to see youngsters playing at Centre Back in the Premier League. If we do let him go elsewhere we definitely need an open recall clause.

I'm not sure such a thing exists anymore dylan. It's certainly been the case that this season the only time that any team could recall a loan was during the January transfer window (I think there might have been a small exception for emergency goalkeeper situations). 

I don't know if this was a one-off thing because of the COVID shortened season, but if I understand it correctly it will be the same again next season (but I could be wrong). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

depends who we sign in summer and who leaves.

We have the over 21 home grown thing to think about again as well. Currently we have:

Krul, Hugill, Cantwell, Dowell, Hanley, Byram, Gibson as the likely players we'll use in our 25

Leaves room for 1 more. Possibly we go for a loanee or 2 but can't see us looking domestically to find much permanent, maybe one more CM? Might mean we keep someone like Famewo or McCallum around if they look good in summer.

I'd imagine Mumba and maybe Omobamidele will stick around but all the other fringe players will be loaned out or sold including Idah and Martin

Edited by Tetteys Jig

28 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

Krul, Hugill, Cantwell, Dowell, Hanley, Byram, Gibson as the likely players we'll use in our 25

Aarons now too (I think)?

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think that Mumba and Omobamidele are the only ones who will be in our squad for next season. Famewo has done well at League One level it seems, but probably needs a Championship loan to see if he's able to make the next step up. McCallum might possibly be considered as a backup to Dimi; if fit, you'd expect Dimi to start every week. Idah, Soto and Martin could do with Championship loans, Omotoye needs another year in League One, Bushiri I think will be moved on, and Adshead only has a year left on his contract so may also be sold. If we rate him enough to offer him a new deal, Championship or League One would be logical destinations.

Not a dig but I'm intrigued on the logic that Famewo needs to prove himself in the Championship but Mumba who has one start at this level is ready for the squad.

Just now, king canary said:

Not a dig but I'm intrigued on the logic that Famewo needs to prove himself in the Championship but Mumba who has one start at this level is ready for the squad.

I can totally see on paper that Famewo has more experience, but from what little I've seen of Mumba I think he has a similar skill set to Aarons and I think there's a good chance he'll make the step up. As ever, in Farke we trust!

2 hours ago, All the Germans said:

Aarons now too (I think)?

under 21 so doesn't need to be named.

To be honest we don't have to name a 25 man squad, we have big Andy, Mumba, Idah, Martin, Macallam, Barden and Famewo that would all potentially feature next season that wouldn't need to be named.

Signing players is going to be very different in the coming window, players from overseas will be tough to buy and English players will be expensive.  I wonder if less players will be loaned out than we expect. 

It’s pretty simple for me, if Farke thinks they are good enough to play regularly, keep them at the club, if not loan out. Be really sad to see players like Idah bench warming for a year with only a handful of minutes to show for it when they could be tearing up the Championship and getting ready to be a regular.

3 hours ago, All the Germans said:

I agree completely with the first and third sentences / paragraphs. However, whilst I never subscribed to the Cantwell hate that he got simply because he wasn't Buendia at the end of the season when Emi was suspended, I cannot see anyone expecting him to make the sort of impact he did, hoping maybe but expecting anything other than the odd cameo in the premiership would have been an irrational position based upon the information available at the time and a loan would have been a sensible idea.

Surely you mean “I cannot see anyone on this forum expecting him”? What the coaching team thought is very different and AFAIK completely unknown.

14 hours ago, birchfest said:

I would send them all out on loan. Add in Sitti to that list.

I would expect us to buy some more talented young players off the lower tiers who are about 2 years away from the first team to gap fill some of the gaps in the Under 23’s

I forgot Barden, Mair and Sinnani. Yes another year on loan unless Sinnani has a blistering pre season in that case they might keep him to be used as sub for his unpredictability. If he doesn’t work out we can always loan him out in January. 

As has been mentioned, unless some of them 'do a Cantwell' and force their way into the squad or first XI by having a blinding preseason, I expect most of them to go on loan. If I had to guess, Mumba and McCallum may be the closest to staying on as backups and providing cover to the full back positions along with Byram, whereas at the other end of the scale, Famewo and Bushiri may be moved on permanently due to their age and the fact Omobamidele may be viewed as a better prospect anyway.

On the face of it you'd think Omobamidele and Mumba are fairly certain to be in the squad next season, everyone else will be out on loans I'd imagine. It's tough to blood youngsters in the Prem when you've got to fight for survival, it makes it more unlikely that young players will be making any surprise bursts into the squad but it can happen.

McCallum as backup to Dimi is probably the only other one 

Edited by AJ

AO has already been likened to Ben Godfrey-although it could just be wishful thinking-and he has looked assured in his performances so far against lesser opposition. I think the way he performs in the games against the promotion contenders may determine if he is in the squad next season-I hope he is.