Big O

Championship Players

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'm intrigued to see what the summer brings transferwise - having seen a picture of a Norwich scout in Argentina and the recruitment team talking about targeting Asia it could be some interesting names that pop up. (Also it should be easier to spot the nonsense rumours as much of the European press hasn't picked up on the new rules).

You're the man in the know, so do you know how easy it will be to get permits for players playing in Asia? I know that Latin American countries such as Brazil, Argentina and Mexico are ranked pretty highly under the new system which will make them attractive propositions but I don't think I've seen Asia mentioned anywhere.

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Definitely, the fact he and Webber have already worked together and are friends means I'm pretty sure he'd be No.1 choice to replace Farke - just a matter of whether he available/willing to come when Norwich need him. Wouldn't be massively surprised if someone like Palace weren't considering him to replace Hodgson.

Steve Cooper as manager would be a problem for some of our fans who somehow think that there is a correlation between ability and good looks 🤣

Edited by Mr Angry
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Steve Cooper as manager would be a problem for some of our fans who somehow think that there is a correlation between ability and good looks 🤣

Iain Dowie did have his moments as a manager

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

You're the man in the know, so do you know how easy it will be to get permits for players playing in Asia? I know that Latin American countries such as Brazil, Argentina and Mexico are ranked pretty highly under the new system which will make them attractive propositions but I don't think I've seen Asia mentioned anywhere.

South Korea and Japan are both in the top 50 ranking, and any player that appears for more than 70% of games for one of those nations gets an 'auto pass'. 

1 hour ago, YellowSubmarine said:

Nah, they played good stuff under Struber. Ismael has just made them like Bolton in the PL. It would hurt your eyes, trust me

That's sooooooo wrong. Certainly didnt play that way in the 2 games weve has against them this season.

No way would I take Steve Cooper. Don’t doubt his tactical ability, but I do doubt how he handles things when the going gets tough, in recent games he has looked like a little boy lost despite them getting past Millwall. He sweats like Gary Glitter in Mothercare 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He sweats like Gary Glitter in Mothercare 

Blimey! 

41 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

No way would I take Steve Cooper. Don’t doubt his tactical ability, but I do doubt how he handles things when the going gets tough, in recent games he has looked like a little boy lost despite them getting past Millwall. He sweats like Gary Glitter in Mothercare 

I shouldn't be still laughing at that last sentence but.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, king canary said:

Personally I think that's a terrible strategy, basically throw enough **** and hope some sticks.

If we're spending £40m in fees I'd much rather we bought 3 players we were confident on even if they cost more than just take a handful of punts.

If we don't sell anyone this summer then I'm confident this squad has significantly less holes than last season- another central defender, a defensive midfielder and a striker are all needed, another central mid would be nice. So if you can combine grabbing one or two on loan or on a free then you shouldn't need to spread the budget so thin.

we need a number 10, a central defender for cover and a replacement for Skipp - this should be our priorities. 

Just now, Haus said:

we need a number 10, a central defender for cover and a replacement for Skipp - this should be our priorities. 

I'm honestly not convinced we need an out and out 10 next season, certainly not more than we need a striker to really push Pukki. 

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

The added complication for next season is the impact of the new work permit rules. The January window was very quiet so the boundaries of the new rules haven't been fully tested and what the 'exceptions panel' who will be used for players who don't meet the automatic points criteria are looking for is a bit of an unknown.

Interesting to read from Ornstein that the panel will remain for this summer, was meant to only be there for January.

I wonder if they regret rushing Soto back?

1 hour ago, kirku said:

Interesting to read from Ornstein that the panel will remain for this summer, was meant to only be there for January.

I wonder if they regret rushing Soto back?

I think they wanted to either get him a move to a better league or Omotoye out on loan and have a better look at him around colney. Hasnt really worked out

38 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

I think they wanted to either get him a move to a better league or Omotoye out on loan and have a better look at him around colney. Hasnt really worked out

My theory is that they rushed him through the appeals board while it still existed.

Seemingly, there was no other viable route to a work permit in the near future.

Just now, kirku said:

My theory is that they rushed him through the appeals board while it still existed.

Seemingly, there was no other viable route to a work permit in the near future.

I think this is it.

There was a window for a work permit so they took it and as it happened just as we had a striker crisis too much got read into it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Maupay has done pretty well, Watkins has stepped up excellently, Bowen is a key player at West Ham, Brighton's sold defence is based on players from the Championship (Dunk, Burn, Webster) there are plenty of examples if you look.

Edit- will add 11th placed Villa have a core of players picked up from the lower leagues- Konsa, McConnell, Cash, Watkins all regular starters.

I didn’t say there weren’t players that can’t step up and of course there are plenty of examples of those that have but there are plenty of high priced flops as well. My question was more who we could buy to improve the team at a price we would/could pay. How much is someone like Toney worth for example? Out of our price range I would bet. I also wasn’t saying Maupay has been a failure, the point is that he hasn’t done any better than Pukki and cost £20 million. We won’t be spending £20 million on top Championship players. 

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I'm honestly not convinced we need an out and out 10 next season, certainly not more than we need a striker to really push Pukki. 

We need another striker because the opposition needs more to think about. Not because our sole striker needs even more pressure. Quite simply, we need to *add* another dimension, not replace the one we have.

Signing a physical striker with solid heading ability, but who also has eye for positioning and IQ to capitalize on Teemu's movement, would seriously cause headache for opposition. Single defensive strategy wouldn't be enough. This would decrease their defensive efficiency requiring reallocation of resources away from their offense.

...Think Brentford would let Ivan Toney go if unpromoted? 😈

5 hours ago, Move Klose said:

That's sooooooo wrong. Certainly didnt play that way in the 2 games weve has against them this season.

It’s not wrong, they play Sh!t football. End of. 

52 minutes ago, YellowSubmarine said:

It’s not wrong, they play Sh!t football. End of. 

🤣🤣🤣 End of. Sorry 😪😪😪

2 hours ago, seanthecanary said:

I didn’t say there weren’t players that can’t step up and of course there are plenty of examples of those that have but there are plenty of high priced flops as well. My question was more who we could buy to improve the team at a price we would/could pay. How much is someone like Toney worth for example? Out of our price range I would bet. I also wasn’t saying Maupay has been a failure, the point is that he hasn’t done any better than Pukki and cost £20 million. We won’t be spending £20 million on top Championship players. 

I actually think this could be the perfect year to go shopping in the Championship. Covid has hit this league hard, clubs likely won't be able to hold out for the kind of prices they might have asked for 12/18 months ago. I agree a striker from the Championship probably isn't on the table but a defensive midfielder or a central defender may be affordable from clubs with financial issues.

4 minutes ago, king canary said:

I actually think this could be the perfect year to go shopping in the Championship. Covid has hit this league hard, clubs likely won't be able to hold out for the kind of prices they might have asked for 12/18 months ago. I agree a striker from the Championship probably isn't on the table but a defensive midfielder or a central defender may be affordable from clubs with financial issues.

I agree, there will not be a lot of money spent on transfers, and some clubs will be desperate for the cash. 

On 11/04/2021 at 16:48, ged in the onion bag said:

If Marco gets any involvement next season we’ll be coming straight back down.     Sadly he has the worst touch in the squad.    You don’t spend a career losing control and possession at will, then suddenly at 30 ish miraculously develop that skill!!!

Bit harsh ...

1 hour ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Bit harsh ...

Just an honest view of what I see every time he plays.   In forming that view I don’t have a grudge and want all our players to do well.   Sadly, his touch, passing, general quality, ability to protect the ball, and consistency are all lacking.   His pressing isn’t particularly efficient and for a supposed big guy he rarely wins headers.   Fair play to him, he did contribute well in our 18-19 season but has been nowhere near that level since.   
I applaud the club for looking after its players but when we are clearly punching above our station financially, sometimes players who aren’t good enough for the level need to be moved on...... is that harsh or just a fact of life?   Survival of the fittest! 

In the EPL, we can’t afford to carry players and surely they should want to play anyway.   For this reason, it’s time to replace those that had a chance but couldn’t step up.  I would add  Steips, Mario, Alex T to the list with TT, Moritz and Drmic.    Quintilla falls into that category too and I suspect it’s too early for Platcheta too.

On 11/04/2021 at 15:42, Jersey Canary said:

Billings would be out of our league wages wise I would suspect. 

Billings goes missing. We need that solid 7.5 / 8 shift every week. We can see what a difference having the right man in that role has made to our team. Skipp has to be the number 1 signing (loan) for next year. 

8 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Just an honest view of what I see every time he plays.   In forming that view I don’t have a grudge and want all our players to do well.   Sadly, his touch, passing, general quality, ability to protect the ball, and consistency are all lacking.   His pressing isn’t particularly efficient and for a supposed big guy he rarely wins headers.   Fair play to him, he did contribute well in our 18-19 season but has been nowhere near that level since.   
I applaud the club for looking after its players but when we are clearly punching above our station financially, sometimes players who aren’t good enough for the level need to be moved on...... is that harsh or just a fact of life?   Survival of the fittest! 

In the EPL, we can’t afford to carry players and surely they should want to play anyway.   For this reason, it’s time to replace those that had a chance but couldn’t step up.  I would add  Steips, Mario, Alex T to the list with TT, Moritz and Drmic.    Quintilla falls into that category too and I suspect it’s too early for Platcheta too.

I agree with your views on Stiepermann, not good enough I'm afraid, he was half decent 2 years ago and made a decent contribution but like i say that was 2 years ago.

I dont think we can afford to be as loyal to our current group as we were last time, at the time I totally understand why we were. The likes of Vrancic, Zimmermann, Stiepermann need to be improved on.

Recruitment was a disaster last time round, we cant afford to get 4 loan signings wrong. Fahrmann, Amadou & Robert's all had their loans cancelled early, and Duda well he was just a passenger in games.

This is the time to push on, to improve on what we have, theres a good nucleus of a squad to build on, we cant just add players who arent any better than what we already have. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Move Klose said:

I agree with your views on Stiepermann, not good enough I'm afraid, he was half decent 2 years ago and made a decent contribution but like i say that was 2 years ago.

I dont think we can afford to be as loyal to our current group as we were last time, at the time I totally understand why we were. The likes of Vrancic, Zimmermann, Stiepermann need to be improved on.

Recruitment was a disaster last time round, we cant afford to get 4 loan signings wrong. Fahrmann, Amadou & Robert's all had their loans cancelled early, and Duda well he was just a passenger in games.

This is the time to push on, to improve on what we have, theres a good nucleus of a squad to build on, we cant just add players who arent any better than what we already have. 

I'd go further - my view is that McLean and Rupp can't step up as main central midfielders in the EPL (they don't have the physique, athleticism or that defensive anticipation) so at best should be squad players.    We will need 3 decent central midfielders ahead of them.    Whether Sorensen can be one of those still remains a question and if we don't get Skipp (suspect we won't) then the priority has to be at least two players who have energy, power and pace to compiment their ability.    As the club are pretty astute, would be surprised if they haven't identified some gems.    

I missed out Zimmermann but true, he is too injury prone.    Hope that both Famewo and Omobamidele get the opportunity to step up, especially Famewo who may quickly establish himself given the chance.    That would allow us more funds to get better quality support / competition for Pukki.

Stuart said he let down Daniel last time.   He'll be doing his best to prevent that happening again.  

Be desperately disappointed if we lose either of Todd or Emi, and Max.    

On 12/04/2021 at 13:03, YellowSubmarine said:

Nah, they played good stuff under Struber. Ismael has just made them like Bolton in the PL. It would hurt your eyes, trust me

Bolton in the PL were a very decent ball-playing side in the later stages of Allardyce's reign. That's just a tired old media trope that went round from their earlier days.

Put it this way, do you really think a team containing Okocha, Djorkaeff, Anelka and Giannakopoulos would be wholly prozaic?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Would buy a season ticket just to watch him!    Absolute gem of a footballer!   

As the old chant went, "Jay-Jay Okocha, so good they named him twice!"

I suspect half the media set who were picking on Bolton at the time were frustrated Arsenal fans, as Allardyce had the voodoo over Wenger - his Bolton teams frequently upset the Arsenal applecart and indeed were capable of upsetting many a top side. Yes, they were rustic early on and in Kevin Davies they had an archetypal yeoman as a focal point for their attacks, but then Anelka was a pretty refined player.

Forgot to mention Hierro, Campo and Diouf as well. They could all play. And Kevin Nolan was a very under-rated box-to-box man who rampaged around the park in his pomp.