Big O

Championship Players

2 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

As the old chant went, "Jay-Jay Okocha, so good they named him twice!"

I suspect half the media set who were picking on Bolton at the time were frustrated Arsenal fans, as Allardyce had the voodoo over Wenger - his Bolton teams frequently upset the Arsenal applecart and indeed were capable of upsetting many a top side. Yes, they were rustic early on and in Kevin Davies they had an archetypal yeoman as a focal point for their attacks, but then Anelka was a pretty refined player.

Forgot to mention Hierro, Campo and Diouf as well. They could all play. And Kevin Nolan was a very under-rated box-to-box man who rampaged around the park in his pomp.

Your post was quite right, they weren't boring by any stretch but there are loads of posters whose views are based on hearsay rather than some insight and any actual appreciation of the game.       

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Your post was quite right, they weren't boring by any stretch but there are loads of posters whose views are based on hearsay rather than some insight and any actual appreciation of the game.       

I am biased though. I am from, and still live there.

1 minute ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Glory Hunter Eh!!!!!!!! 

LOL, nope. Although you need a sense of humour to live round here!

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

I'd go further - my view is that McLean and Rupp can't step up as main central midfielders in the EPL (they don't have the physique, athleticism or that defensive anticipation) so at best should be squad players.    We will need 3 decent central midfielders ahead of them.    Whether Sorensen can be one of those still remains a question and if we don't get Skipp (suspect we won't) then the priority has to be at least two players who have energy, power and pace to compiment their ability.    As the club are pretty astute, would be surprised if they haven't identified some gems.    

I feel bad for saying it, but I agree. I think McLean and Rupp have shown that they can be useful in the Premier League but they're not quite up to being first-choice starters. I'd be happy for them to be in the squad, alongside Sorensen who is still unproven, but central midfield is the key area we need to strengthen and assuming Skipp leaves, we need two midfielders with Sorensen, Rupp and McLean providing competition.

Also, Tettey and Vrancic have been loyal servants but I don't think they have enough about them for a Premier League campaign and at 35 and 32 they're not getting any younger. They should be thanked enormously for their service but we can't give contracts out of sentiment, especially when there are limited non-homegrown places. The same actually goes for Stiepermann as well, although he does still have another year on his contract.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

47 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

LOL, nope. Although you need a sense of humour to live round here!

You must be living all that way from Norwich!    Robbie Savage is probably closer!!!!!! 

7 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Bolton in the PL were a very decent ball-playing side in the later stages of Allardyce's reign. That's just a tired old media trope that went round from their earlier days.

Put it this way, do you really think a team containing Okocha, Djorkaeff, Anelka and Giannakopoulos would be wholly prozaic?

So if they still played poor football in the early PL days, what are you trying to be clever for? 

The statement I made was that Barnsley play Sh!t football, which I just so happened to compare to Bolton when they played sh!t football. 

10 minutes ago, YellowSubmarine said:

So if they still played poor football in the early PL days, what are you trying to be clever for? 

The statement I made was that Barnsley play Sh!t football, which I just so happened to compare to Bolton when they played sh!t football. 

Simple - most of the time Bolton were in the PL, they actually played very decent football. But the footballing press at the time would probably just about prefer to cut their own gonads off than admit that.

Fry 

Grimes / Dasilva 

Lolley

Dabo

Probably about it really.

I also like Woolfendeen from the league below, think Farke could turn him into a mint player to replace the increasingly injury prone and immobile Zimmermann.

Can't think of anybody else off the top of my bonce. I like Ayew at Swansea but can't see us signing a 31 year old on big wages.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Well at present Pukki has not real competition. This need to change next season. TONEY from Brentford would be my choice. 
if Brentford don’t make it to the PL, why could we not go for him. Brentford have sold 1/2 players each season.

Bit of of a punt but Famara Diedhiou currently at Bristol City but leaving in the summer so would be a free transfer. I do rate him and with better players would probably score more goals.

Tyrese Campbell and krystien Bielik would both be good additions. Both suffered bad injuries but were excellent this season.