Big O

Championship Players

Here are a few that i feel could improve our team / squad;

Jed Wallace, Matt Grimes, Connor Roberts, Callum Styles, Marcus Tavernier, Arnaut Danjuma, Lloyd Kelly, Gustavo Hamer, Massengo, Josh Koroma, Alan Browne, Josh Dasilva, Seny Dieng, Ilias Chair, Adam Reach, Michael Olise.

13 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I have said before it wouldn't surprise me if he was in Webber's thoughts as a replacement if Farke leaves. Ismael and Farke were on the same year-long coaching course in 2014.

They play absolutely woeful football, nothing like what we play under Farke so don’t hedge your bets on that one

7 hours ago, HB1989 said:

Jed Wallace, Matt Grimes, Connor Roberts, Callum Styles, Marcus Tavernier, Arnaut Danjuma, Lloyd Kelly, Gustavo Hamer, Massengo, Josh Koroma, Alan Browne, Josh Dasilva, Seny Dieng, Ilias Chair, Adam Reach, Michael Olise.

Not a bad list. I would add Dyksteel and Fry at Boro. They looked good when I saw them play admittedly this was only a couple of times. 

2 hours ago, YellowSubmarine said:

They play absolutely woeful football, nothing like what we play under Farke so don’t hedge your bets on that one

Possibly because of limited playing resources and he would change his methods with us.

Fry and Grimes are the two I really like in positions we need.

Adam Armstrong flies under the radar a bit considering his goal scoring record this season. I can't say I've seen much of him to make a judgement though.

9 hours ago, HB1989 said:

Corrrrrr what a pretty awfull list that is. Theres about 4 players on there that would improve what we have.

3 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Corrrrrr what a pretty awfull list that is. Theres about 4 players on there that would improve what we have.

I stopped at Jed Wallace, assume it got no better

Always liked what I saw of Jamal Lowe when he was at Pompey. Think he has a bit more in him that DF could unlock

Just now, CDMullins said:

I stopped at Jed Wallace, assume it got no better

Danjuma and Kelly good players but let's wait and see what Bournemouth do, I think they will go up. Plus even if they dont will want big money.

Da Silva is very good at Brentford but as above they may still go up and are also a side who get big money for players.

Chair at QPR looks quite bright and supposedly theres big question mark's over Olises attitude etc.

Watching the pinkun Q&As with the journos last week they seem to think we will be looking at £7m-£10m bracket. So I think we will probably be looking abroad for new signings.

1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

Always liked what I saw of Jamal Lowe when he was at Pompey. Think he has a bit more in him that DF could unlock

You should look at what Swansea fans think of him 🤣

Yeh, don't think he has been a regular starter for them, just feel he showed a lot of potential at Pompey and might fit into our squad and playing style better.

The honest question is really, how many Championship really make the step up to the PL and who would improve our squad at a price we would pay?  Maupay cost £20m and his scoring record last season was 1 less than Pukki.  McBurnie cost £17.5m and after 59 games still has 4 less PL goals than Pukki.  Players like Maddison and Watkins have done well but I can't see us spending that kind of money.

1 minute ago, Mark .Y. said:

Yeh, don't think he has been a regular starter for them, just feel he showed a lot of potential at Pompey and might fit into our squad and playing style better.

We need to improve this time round, not add players who dont improve what we already have.

4 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

We need to improve this time round, not add players who dont improve what we already have.

I bow to your superior scouting skills

14 minutes ago, seanthecanary said:

The honest question is really, how many Championship really make the step up to the PL and who would improve our squad at a price we would pay?  Maupay cost £20m and his scoring record last season was 1 less than Pukki.  McBurnie cost £17.5m and after 59 games still has 4 less PL goals than Pukki.  Players like Maddison and Watkins have done well but I can't see us spending that kind of money.

There is a reason that these players are playing in the Champs, usually it is that they are not good enough and when they were coming through the ranks were judged to be not good enough. Occasionally there is an exception, more often you can pay good money for a player whose standards just drift back to an upper Champs level. That is not to demean these players, who are good players, but to recognise the massive gulf in quality to the EPL. If we spend £30/£40 million on half a dozen new player and 1, maybe 2, make the step up Webber will have done his job.

Burnley seem to have done well picking up from the championship over the last few years so it can be done. Sure you spend a little more but there's less adapting to do in some cases. Hendrick, Brady, Tarkowski, Wood & Brownhill have all been solid if unremarkable additions for them.

Dael Fry from that list would be an interesting one. I can see him slotting nicely next to Gibson if Hanley doesn't step up. Either way we will need solid competition. Would be all over Phillip Billing if he was available for not too much as well.

1 hour ago, seanthecanary said:

Maupay has done pretty well, Watkins has stepped up excellently, Bowen is a key player at West Ham, Brighton's sold defence is based on players from the Championship (Dunk, Burn, Webster) there are plenty of examples if you look.

Edit- will add 11th placed Villa have a core of players picked up from the lower leagues- Konsa, McConnell, Cash, Watkins all regular starters.

Edited by king canary

1 hour ago, BigFish said:

There is a reason that these players are playing in the Champs, usually it is that they are not good enough and when they were coming through the ranks were judged to be not good enough. Occasionally there is an exception, more often you can pay good money for a player whose standards just drift back to an upper Champs level. That is not to demean these players, who are good players, but to recognise the massive gulf in quality to the EPL. If we spend £30/£40 million on half a dozen new player and 1, maybe 2, make the step up Webber will have done his job.

If he signs six players and one is good enough for the Premier League he's done his job? What?

Just now, king canary said:

If he signs six players and one is good enough for the Premier League he's done his job? What?

At the £5m to £8m price range if he gets one genuine Premier League player out of 5/6 I think so.

Think about it, unless someone leaves how many of Saturday's starters will kick off the first match in August?

I suspect the answer is 10, though with 2/3 new guys on the bench.

1 minute ago, BigFish said:

At the £5m to £8m price range if he gets one genuine Premier League player out of 5/6 I think so.

Think about it, unless someone leaves how many of Saturday's starters will kick off the first match in August?

I suspect the answer is 10, though with 2/3 new guys on the bench.

Personally I think that's a terrible strategy, basically throw enough **** and hope some sticks.

If we're spending £40m in fees I'd much rather we bought 3 players we were confident on even if they cost more than just take a handful of punts.

If we don't sell anyone this summer then I'm confident this squad has significantly less holes than last season- another central defender, a defensive midfielder and a striker are all needed, another central mid would be nice. So if you can combine grabbing one or two on loan or on a free then you shouldn't need to spread the budget so thin.

18 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I have said before it wouldn't surprise me if he was in Webber's thoughts as a replacement if Farke leaves. Ismael and Farke were on the same year-long coaching course in 2014.

I think the styles are too different for Ismael to be considered a Farke replacement, you'd need to overhaul Norwich's squad to really get the best of the high press style he is a proponent of using. Norwich will likely look for someone who plays a possession style that Farke deploys.

Barnsley identified high pressing as the the most effective style of football and have brought in a coaches and players to specifically play that way for the last 4 years. 

5 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think the styles are too different for Ismael to be considered a Farke replacement, you'd need to overhaul Norwich's squad to really get the best of the high press style he is a proponent of using. Norwich will likely look for someone who plays a possession style that Farke deploys.

Barnsley identified high pressing as the the most effective style of football and have brought in a coaches and players to specifically play that way for the last 4 years. 

Cooper has always struck me as an obvious option.

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

100%, although Ismael has done an amazing job, he had the players that were brought into play that way already. They dont stop running.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Cooper has always struck me as an obvious option.

Definitely, the fact he and Webber have already worked together and are friends means I'm pretty sure he'd be No.1 choice to replace Farke - just a matter of whether he available/willing to come when Norwich need him. Wouldn't be massively surprised if someone like Palace weren't considering him to replace Hodgson.

3 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Possibly because of limited playing resources and he would change his methods with us.

Nah, they played good stuff under Struber. Ismael has just made them like Bolton in the PL. It would hurt your eyes, trust me

To get real quality will take real money, our best option to add that quality might be to use the loan market.  Our record in the loan market Skipp apart has not been good and is particularly poor especially PL last season.  But City offer young PL players an opportunity.  If we can use the international loan market effectively we can get quality without needing to spend millions although loans will not come without expense.  This time we will be looking at loanees from the top clubs.

Positions to be given attention depend on who we lose but presume a RB, DM, AM and Stiker.  We can provide any players taken on loan first team opportunities in those positions.  Players will only be allowed on loan provided first team is an option.  If we can source from Championship players to meet PL standard for reasonable fees then invest but taking chances on potential is a risky business.

The added complication for next season is the impact of the new work permit rules. The January window was very quiet so the boundaries of the new rules haven't been fully tested and what the 'exceptions panel' who will be used for players who don't meet the automatic points criteria are looking for is a bit of an unknown.

It could be that players already based in England suddenly have a jump up in price as there are less players available from the continent. While most Premier League clubs will likely be unaffected as they will look to buy from the 'big leagues', Norwich who have worked more from less illustrious leagues may find their options limited. 

I'm intrigued to see what the summer brings transferwise - having seen a picture of a Norwich scout in Argentina and the recruitment team talking about targeting Asia it could be some interesting names that pop up. (Also it should be easier to spot the nonsense rumours as much of the European press hasn't picked up on the new rules).