Big O

Championship Players

Given (touch wood) we are now virtually in the premiership, which players would you take with you from other championship clubs that are realistic (I.e. we aren’t getting Ivan Toney). I’m assuming a few clubs will be under financial duress given COVID so there may be some bargains to be had.

I would go for:

Grimes - Swansea (assuming they don’t come up). I think he is a good player, good range of passing and engine. Would be good competition for Kenny McClean.

Dike - Barnsley (think he is on loan), looks a bright prospect and I’m making the assumption we would want to let Idah go out on loan.

Fry - middlesboro - maybe a little unrealistic but they probably need the cash. Looks a good centre half, maybe we could give them Andrew O on loan for the season in exchange.

O-Hare - Coventry - maybe one for the future but looks a good player, bright and good feet.

Rothwell - Blackburn - played well against us in both games.

Massengo - Bristol city. I know we have been linked and he looks a good player.

anyone else exciting people? 

Michael Olise at Reading. Technically he’s the part. Question marks over his attitude though.

• Like 1

As for Ivan Toney, he’s had a fantastic season but the juries still out on whether he can make the step up like Teemu did prior to his toe injury.

But I’d like to sign him just to send the Brentford fans potty again over parachute payments ha ha 😘

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Michael Olise at Reading. Technically he’s the part. Question marks over his attitude though.

Watched him for the first time Friday night, if his attitude is ok he’d be worth the reported £8m

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Watched him for the first time Friday night, if his attitude is ok he’d be worth the reported £8m

Definitely. He has that X factor about him that Farke likes I would imagine - technical, creative, makes things happen. He’s a very good player, and as you say, it the attitude is right then I’d be very happy with signing him if possible. But there will 100% be a lot of competition for his services, and so therefore I’d hazard a guess he goes for a fair bit more than his reported release fee of £8mil.

14 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Definitely. He has that X factor about him that Farke likes I would imagine - technical, creative, makes things happen. He’s a very good player, and as you say, it the attitude is right then I’d be very happy with signing him if possible. But there will 100% be a lot of competition for his services, and so therefore I’d hazard a guess he goes for a fair bit more than his reported release fee of £8mil.

A player like that, at that age doesn’t want to be in Norwich. I’m sorry. He wants to play for a team in a big city with a big name. 

Josh Windass - doubt he’ll want Div 1 footy. Always puts in a shift. Reasonable goal average for AMF. 

I doubt Stieperman is going up with us 😂

11 minutes ago, WD40 said:

A player like that, at that age doesn’t want to be in Norwich. I’m sorry. He wants to play for a team in a big city with a big name. 

Couldn’t comment either way on that myself, I have no idea what Michael Olise as an individual thinks and wants.

1 minute ago, Foxy2600 said:

Josh Windass - doubt he’ll want Div 1 footy. Always puts in a shift. Reasonable goal average for AMF. 

I doubt Stieperman is going up with us 😂

Not sure what’s funny about that, but I thought Marco looked incredibly sharp when he came on against Huddersfield. His first touch and weight of pass looked better than ever.

34 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Would any team pay more than the release clause? With a normal transfer, the selling club would usually accept the largest bid but if more than one club meets the release clause, doesn’t the player then get to choose which club he signs for?

Problem with Championship players is that they will often come with inflated price tags, certainly higher than options from overseas, so it seems likely we’ll be more likely to go that route (obviously allowing for work permit issues).  I can’t remember what the ‘homegrown’ rule in the PL is, though.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Would any team pay more than the release clause? With a normal transfer, the selling club would usually accept the largest bid but if more than one club meets the release clause, doesn’t the player then get to choose which club he signs for?

Dunno, that’s a very good point buddy - I’m not too clued up on how such transfers work?! £8mils a steal on ability alone though!

52 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Correct, I don't think any club will pay more out of the goodness of their hearts! Assuming the £8m release clause exists, of course.

2 hours ago, Big O said:

Given (touch wood) we are now virtually in the premiership, which players would you take with you from other championship clubs that are realistic (I.e. we aren’t getting Ivan Toney). I’m assuming a few clubs will be under financial duress given COVID so there may be some bargains to be had.

I would go for:

Grimes - Swansea (assuming they don’t come up). I think he is a good player, good range of passing and engine. Would be good competition for Kenny McClean.

Dike - Barnsley (think he is on loan), looks a bright prospect and I’m making the assumption we would want to let Idah go out on loan.

Fry - middlesboro - maybe a little unrealistic but they probably need the cash. Looks a good centre half, maybe we could give them Andrew O on loan for the season in exchange.

O-Hare - Coventry - maybe one for the future but looks a good player, bright and good feet.

Rothwell - Blackburn - played well against us in both games.

Massengo - Bristol city. I know we have been linked and he looks a good player.

anyone else exciting people? 

Dike has a 20m deal with Barnsley if they get promoted.

40 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Dunno, that’s a very good point buddy - I’m not too clued up on how such transfers work?! £8mils a steal on ability alone though!

Yeah, nobody is paying more than the release clause, it doesn't gain you any advantage Reading would still have to accept £8million bids even if someone comes in with £12 million. It would still come down to which prospective buyer offers him the best deal. 

The sentiment is good with this post but I feel the players that are too good for the Championship will be too expensive for us. I think we’d be more likely to buy up and coming players (from Peterborough for example) to replace the youngsters going out on loan such as Idah, Andrew O, Martin etc.

Apart from that I can see us buying from abroad if we want PL ready players. The Greek forward we are linked with is an example. 

• Like 2

Dike has a £17m price tag payable by any club who will pay, not exclusively Barnsley.  See comments on EFL on Quest yesterday.

Fry and Olise would be my picks. Always been a fan of Phillip Billing too, he'd be awesome in 'the Tettey role' I reckon. Probably too pricey, though... I think they paid about £15m for him from Huddersfield.

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Fry and Olise would be my picks. Always been a fan of Phillip Billing too, he'd be awesome in 'the Tettey role' I reckon. Probably too pricey, though... I think they paid about £15m for him from Huddersfield.

Billings would be out of our league wages wise I would suspect. 

2 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Barnsley will win play-offs, so Dike won't be available.

11 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Barnsley will win play-offs, so Dike won't be available.

It is a brave poster who predicts the play-offs this far ahead! If it ends up as the current four, and Brentford, AFC and Swansea keep up their returns to form then I think Barnsley would have their work cut out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

As for Ivan Toney, he’s had a fantastic season but the juries still out on whether he can make the step up like Teemu did prior to his toe injury.

But I’d like to sign him just to send the Brentford fans potty again over parachute payments ha ha 😘

He'll get goals though, to you don't get 27 goals in the championship if you're not a good striker. Someone will spend money on him if they fail to go up, won't be us though

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Not sure what’s funny about that, but I thought Marco looked incredibly sharp when he came on against Huddersfield. His first touch and weight of pass looked better than ever.

If Marco gets any involvement next season we’ll be coming straight back down.     Sadly he has the worst touch in the squad.    You don’t spend a career losing control and possession at will, then suddenly at 30 ish miraculously develop that skill!!!

21 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It is a brave poster who predicts the play-offs this far ahead! If it ends up as the current four, and Brentford, AFC and Swansea keep up their returns to form then I think Barnsley would have their work cut out.

I just get the feeling that Ismael is more of a competitor than Cooper or Frank.  Certainly better than Woodgate. On their day they can beat anyone etc......

33 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I just get the feeling that Ismael is more of a competitor than Cooper or Frank.  Certainly better than Woodgate. On their day they can beat anyone etc......

Nobody has given us a better game than Barsnely.

30 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I have said before it wouldn't surprise me if he was in Webber's thoughts as a replacement if Farke leaves. Ismael and Farke were on the same year-long coaching course in 2014.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If Marco gets any involvement next season we’ll be coming straight back down.     Sadly he has the worst touch in the squad.    You don’t spend a career losing control and possession at will, then suddenly at 30 ish miraculously develop that skill!!!

I think we need to be more ruthless this summer, Farke was loyal to his players last time we got promoted, rightly so. But the likes of Stiepermann, Vrancic Zimmermann arent good enough for the top flight. Theyve done well for us in the past, that was 2 years ago. We have to push on to another level.

• Like 6