Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Steve Bruce - ‘You get relegated playing the Norwich way’

I’ve got a feeling this will cause much debate...

Apart from the fact it was actually down to a crippling injury list to key personnel and being a few signings short rather than the style of football we played, I would like to know how many of the Premier League’s top teams have got there ‘playing the Newcastle way’? I’ll have a wild guess at... NONE.

https://www.football365.com/news/bruce-you-get-relegated-playing-the-norwich-way

I’m getting the sense of this ageing about as well as Bilic’s comments on West Brom ‘trying something not like Norwich did ’ prior to this season...

Edited by Hank shoots Skyler

It might actually be true, but a) I’d much rather spend my hard-earned cash watching us play any day of the week and b) you do readily get promoted again!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Apart from the fact it was actually down to a crippling injury list to key personnel and being a few signings short rather than the style of football we played, I would like to know how many of the Premier League’s top teams have got there ‘playing the Newcastle way’? I’ll have a wild guess at... NONE.

https://www.football365.com/news/bruce-you-get-relegated-playing-the-norwich-way

Don’t worry Steve, you’ve a great chance of being relegated AND boring people to death on the way.

Cracking game this, Steve.

It’s called the Norwich way vs the Newcastle way 😘

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 2

A man guilty of sending out teams to lose in some of the most appalling games of football witnessed in the PL

3 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It might actually be true, but a) I’d much rather spend my hard-earned cash watching us play any day of the week and b) you do readily get promoted again!

Very true, BP. And anyway, Steve Bruce has focused on the one thing that was NOT the reason for our relegation though. 

I feel our style of play is EXACTLY the right way to play in the Premier League. It’s what got us some very memorable results against some of the leagues best sides. What didn’t however was the multiple injury issues, and lacking that little bit of extra bit of quality at CDM and defence. And I’d like to think we’re well on the way to having addressed what’s possibly there, ignoring the obvious i.e unforeseen injuries. Couple that with the growth of Emi, Todd, Max etc, then yes we really do have every reason to be quite optimistic.

But the style of play? Could not be further from the truth, Steve 🥬 

• Like 2

Makes me rage that managers like Bruce/Hodgeson/Moyes/Allardyce etc are stealing a living as Premier League football managers. The be all and end all of their gameplan is sit back and give it to the fast lad to run with, that's it, it's their entire identity and they're only there to keep the clubs head above water so their owners can skim off some TV money every year. You can bet they set their scouts certain parameters so that they look at height, speed and build before they even consider footballing ability because it makes their jobs so much easier if they can just tell their team to out muscle and outrun other teams and nick something from a set piece. 

• Like 1

Maybe Bruce hasn't looked at the table in a while but Leeds are an attacking team and are sitting pretty in 9th place and are 16 points ahead of Newcastle. 

• Like 1

A truly appallingly manager, and to think there have been times, I remember especially when Worthington left, that quite a few idiots wanted him here..... 

Thing is teams get relegated by Bruce playing the Bruce way too.

Which do fans prefer to watch?

Also, Bournemouth played some good football when they first came up and managed to stay up. As have Leeds this season, annoyingly so 

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

A truly appallingly manager, and to think there have been times, I remember especially when Worthington left, that quite a few idiots wanted him here..... 

Some on here would have swapped Farke for Warnock at the start of this season, I kid you not..

Strange that there now seems to be a growing list of managers who feel it necessary to comment on the way we play and how our club is run.

Suggests to me that we must be doing something right.

Besides I'd take what Pep thinks over what dinosaur Bruce thinks all day long

• Like 2

Much as I don’t like the way Bruce’s teams play, I think he was merely stating the obvious regarding what happened to us last season. More to the point, without significant strengthening of the squad, does anyone really think it won’t happen again next season?

Also get the fans calling for your sacking due to boredom and end the season with the least goals for by playing the Bruce/Hughton way

12 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Much as I don’t like the way Bruce’s teams play, I think he was merely stating the obvious regarding what happened to us last season. More to the point, without significant strengthening of the squad, does anyone really think it won’t happen again next season?

I have no idea. I don’t think the relegation was all down to Farke’s style of play though, what we must also remember is that there was very little PL experience in the side due to already being in debt we couldn’t strengthen much - I believe it was only really Krul, Hanley, Klose, Byram and Tettey that had any

• Like 1

Bruce really is a dinasour. Newcastle are the only team in the Premier League still playing the style they do. I'm baffled that he spent all that money on Jamal then put a left sided midfield player hugging the line in his way. Did he not notice how we played before he signed him? They're the only club in the Premier League that consistently leaves its full backs one on one with the opposition.

Jamal may not have been a top 6 player but he's definitely good enough for Newcastle. His signing would suggest to me that Bruce and his coaching staff haven't got the faintest idea what they're doing. He's stuck in the 1980's

36 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I have no idea. I don’t think the relegation was all down to Farke’s style of play though, what we must also remember is that there was very little PL experience in the side due to already being in debt we couldn’t strengthen much - I believe it was only really Krul, Hanley, Klose, Byram and Tettey that had any

This has to be right. We got relegated, not because of the style of play, but because we lacked experience and the squad depth to cope with our injuries. And yes, we were lacking in quality in some areas.

What Bruce means is that playing the Man City way is much harder to do than playing the Newcastle way and is beyond his team. If they tried to do that they would fail. To be fair he can’t suddenly transform Newcastle’s playing style into ours. They would certainly get relegated in the transition period. We have been playing like this now for a few years so hopefully that will stand us in good stead for the next attempt.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Cracking game this, Steve.

It’s called the Norwich way vs the Newcastle way 😘

I totally forgot about THAT volley from Teemu!

The fact we are undeniably a far better and balanced outfit now than the one that went up in 2019 does actually make me really excited to see what we can do next season. As opposed to last time round, now expectations have been tempered, we probably bloody will go and finish 6th or something now ha ha 😂

13 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

I don't recall us being all guns blazing and attack attack attack, we were just **** at defending, mainly because we didn't have any fit defenders.

2 minutes ago, shaunieboy77 said:

Buying a striker for 40m and playing him on the right wing isn't the most productive way of getting goals out of him. 

Yes, it’s like they’ve spectacularly pulled off some weird wrestling move called the ‘Reverse Thierry Henry’ or something