Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

No 3pm kick-offs next Saturday

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Bitter and twisted doesn't go half the way to describing how some people view the D of E.  As always there are two sides to everything and those people who latch on to the bad things, fail to take into account the good things - his worth to the navy and his service in the war for one thing and the DofE awards scheme for another.

The Duke was a mixed bag of good and bad, like most people - he was a product of his time and his birth and no-one can control the circumstances into which they are born.  So he hunted, a normal part of the times he lived in as a well off toff - but he stopped once it was clear times were changing and it was seen as unacceptable.  Culling deer is another thing - a necessity, but people find that difficult to accept.  Alongside that he was a key member of the group that set up the World Wild Life Fund - so again there are two sides to it.  

Unless he did something illegal, then although you may not have liked some of the things he did, he should not be judged by today's standards on things he did 50 years or more years ago. As for his gaffs - or jokes as they were intended to be - they were quite funny by old standards - the slitty eyes thing on one level funny (if you are a certain age and can remember when you used to pull the corners of your eyes back and pretend to be chinese....for fun) on another level offensive....but then people are so easily offended these days..... 

What makes you think he stopped hunting? He didn't.

What you fail to understand is that there are two sorts of people who kill animals. Those who do it because it's their job and it's necessary and those that do it purely for pleasure.  The Duke was one of those sick individuals who did it for pleasure.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

What you fail to understand is that there are two sorts of people who kill animals. Those who do it because it's their job and it's necessary and those that do it purely for pleasure.  The Duke was one of those sick individuals who did it for pleasure.

I must admit grouse shooting seems a particularly barbaric 'sport' as in breeding and then hunting / killing for pleasure. I used to when young go fishing but frankly that also falls into the same category in a truly civilized society. Fox hunting is thankfully already banned. These comments by the way have zero to do with faming or fishing for food just respect for other creatures. 

Edited by Yellow Fever

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

I can’t see why our game would get changed ? 8pm ko should give plenty of time for the funeral ? 

What about the wake? Pressed ham sandwiches and jugs of mild beer followed by a fight between William and Harry.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I think you need to look up the word 'parody' in your dictionary.

Is that parody?

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

Vanessa?

Well, according to Dylan, it's definitely a taxi for me..

3 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Bitter and twisted doesn't go half the way to describing how some people view the D of E.  As always there are two sides to everything and those people who latch on to the bad things, fail to take into account the good things - his worth to the navy and his service in the war for one thing and the DofE awards scheme for another.

The Duke was a mixed bag of good and bad, like most people - he was a product of his time and his birth and no-one can control the circumstances into which they are born.  So he hunted, a normal part of the times he lived in as a well off toff - but he stopped once it was clear times were changing and it was seen as unacceptable.  Culling deer is another thing - a necessity, but people find that difficult to accept.  Alongside that he was a key member of the group that set up the World Wild Life Fund - so again there are two sides to it.  

Unless he did something illegal, then although you may not have liked some of the things he did, he should not be judged by today's standards on things he did 50 years or more years ago. As for his gaffs - or jokes as they were intended to be - they were quite funny by old standards - the slitty eyes thing on one level funny (if you are a certain age and can remember when you used to pull the corners of your eyes back and pretend to be chinese....for fun) on another level offensive....but then people are so easily offended these days..... 

You miss the point. There is the man and there is the instituition he formed as DoE. All due sympathy to his family, and in truth we know very little as a fact about the man. But the instituition stinks, why should there be all this fuss, so much forced "respect" and uncalled for deferance. If the funeral was televised on BBC2, five minutes on the News and maybe another 1 hour documentary again on BBC2 would have been sufficient.

7 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

What about the wake? Pressed ham sandwiches and jugs of mild beer followed by a fight between William and Harry.

Will Harry be in fancy dress again?! 😉 

40 minutes ago, Kathy said:

Again, so is our game on then?

I've not seen any confirmation but the initial press release suggested this only affected 3pm kick offs so our game should be untouched.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, kirku said:

This is a dead serious thread..

No laughing on the message board until Phil the Greek is in the ground please.

28 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I must admit grouse shooting seems a particularly barbaric 'sport' as in breeding and then hunting / killing for pleasure. I used to when young go fishing but frankly that also falls into the same category in a truly civilized society. Fox hunting is thankfully already banned. These comments by the way have zero to do with faming or fishing for food just respect for other creatures. 

I'm afraid that fox hunting is very much alive and kicking. Seek out 'Keep The Ban' on Facebook or Google

46 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

From the animal’s perspective what is the difference between being killed by someone for sport and because it’s their job eg a slaughter man in an abbatoir? 

Are beef, lamb, pig and poultry farmers sick individuals rearing animals just so they can have them slaughtered in your view?

54 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Jokes by definition are funny.

I agree. But they're also not funny if you don't get them. Kirku repeated an oft-used retort of the ignorant right when addressing people who criticise traditionally British things;

"I don't like those red phone boxes"

"Why do you hate your country?!?!"

"I don't like nonces, especially Royal ones"

"Why do you hate your country?!?!"

"Roast Dinners are overrated"

Etc, etc.

So it was a little bit of a rib tickler, but a joke can't reach the ribs from over one's head.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

So it was a little bit of a rib tickler, but a joke can't reach the ribs from over one's head.

Now we've got to the real meat of the matter, are roast dinners overrated?

Just now, kirku said:

Now we've got to the real meat of the matter, are roast dinners overrated?

Hope not, just about to tuck into one..... 

Interesting to note that the World Snooker Championship with its 33% indoor audience of 330 is due to start next Saturday. 

If only George Orwell had written 2021.

5 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Hope not, just about to tuck into one..... 

But did you cook it?

I think that's the critical consideration

1 minute ago, kirku said:

But did you cook it?

It tastes much better if someone has cooked it for you.🍴🍽

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

“Alright , alright lads . We’ve all had a drink .  This ain’t what grandad would have wanted ?  . Now shake hands and we’ll hear no more of it “ 

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

It tastes much better if someone has cooked it for you.🍴🍽

The effort vs reward just isn't there for me, if I'm the one in the hot seat. 

1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

“Alright , alright lads . We’ve all had a drink .  This ain’t what grandad would have wanted ?  . Now shake hands and we’ll hear no more of it “ 

Edward hiding in one of the toilet cubicles🐈

4 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Edward hiding in one of the toilet cubicles🐈

Best keep quiet where Andrew is ! 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, kirku said:

But did you cook it?

Yep I cooked it, but I didn't hunt the beast myself though..... 

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Yep I cooked it, but I didn't hunt the beast myself though..... 

Bon appetit