Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

No 3pm kick-offs next Saturday

11 minutes ago, daly said:

Similar to the gathering when we get the Trophy 

IMG_20210411_122431.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hairy Canary said:

I agree with this but respect is a two way door. There are many, probably millions, who do not have respect for this gentleman (I’m not including myself in this) and they have every right to hold that opinion. 

the national broadcaster choose to show wall to wall coverage of his life on both main channels simultaneously while BBC 4 decided to come off the air completely. That is not showing respect to people who legitimately hold different view. Sure it is a national event and quite rightly should be the main news story to reflect the clear strength of feeling that the majority clearly feel but there are other people whose opinions need to be reflected and respected. 

I absolutely agree that there is no place for some of the insensitive comments that are being bandied around on a personal level.

I personally have no major feelings either way about the Royals, I would tend to leaning towards they're not particularly necessary in modern society but don't care either way if they were to disband or not. 

The BBC were always going to have intensive coverage of this, and this was nothing compared to what will happen when the Queen goes. Where though I think it was total overkill was taking over both BBC 1&2 with EXACTLY the same coverage. However like has been said already, in this day and age of 100s of channels and the Netflix of the world I don't really see why people had the need to put in official complaints about it 🤷‍♂️

6 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Is it the queue for 1p5wich season tickets?

Perhaps it'll be the queue for refunds when they figure out that pension funds and Sheikhs have sightly different fiscal responsibilities?

• Haha 1

Bitter and twisted doesn't go half the way to describing how some people view the D of E.  As always there are two sides to everything and those people who latch on to the bad things, fail to take into account the good things - his worth to the navy and his service in the war for one thing and the DofE awards scheme for another.

The Duke was a mixed bag of good and bad, like most people - he was a product of his time and his birth and no-one can control the circumstances into which they are born.  So he hunted, a normal part of the times he lived in as a well off toff - but he stopped once it was clear times were changing and it was seen as unacceptable.  Culling deer is another thing - a necessity, but people find that difficult to accept.  Alongside that he was a key member of the group that set up the World Wild Life Fund - so again there are two sides to it.  

Unless he did something illegal, then although you may not have liked some of the things he did, he should not be judged by today's standards on things he did 50 years or more years ago. As for his gaffs - or jokes as they were intended to be - they were quite funny by old standards - the slitty eyes thing on one level funny (if you are a certain age and can remember when you used to pull the corners of your eyes back and pretend to be chinese....for fun) on another level offensive....but then people are so easily offended these days..... 

3 hours ago, daly said:

You should count your blessings to be living in the U.K. under the present regime 

Perhaps you’d prefer the dictator of North Korea or the number of African Countries living under dictatorship 

Are they the only two choices? A dictatorship or a monarchy? Or could we perhaps catch up with most of the countries in the rest of Europe who are doing rather well without a royal family?

8 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

the slitty eyes thing on one level funny (if you are a certain age and can remember when you used to pull the corners of your eyes back and pretend to be chinese....for fun) on another level offensive....but then people are so easily offended these days..... 

Sounds hilarious!

Oh the japes you must've had, old bean!

Ripsnorting!

10 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Are they the only two choices? A dictatorship or a monarchy? Or could we perhaps catch up with most of the countries in the rest of Europe who are doing rather well without a royal family?

Why do you hate our country?

12 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

You do know how many have a monarchy in Europe i assume. Before you go and check the answer is 12 !

1 minute ago, TIL 1010 said:

You do know how many have a monarchy in Europe i assume. Before you go and check the answer is 12 !

So 38 that don't then? Which means Dylan is correct when he states "most of the countries in the rest of Europe" 

Times change, or more to the point the way we think changes over time.  What was considered acceptable ‘then’ is considered unacceptable ‘now’, however what I do find amusing is how some pour scorn on those that lived, or were brought up, in different times and the way they thought about things.  Does the way we think about things always change for the better?  Anyone, no matter what age they are now can change their way of thinking should they wish to, although some do not wish to or understand what is required to do so, so be it.  However, one thing I am certain of is that in another 50 years we will, well I won’t as I’m unlikely to be here but, as a collective, no doubt think in a different way and have alternative ideals to those currently considered acceptable.  Does it make what is acceptable now wrong or just different and in the future should scorn be poured upon ‘current’ thinking.  In my opinion, just different and no, and perhaps we need to understand, that if we think the way we think about things now is so right and/or laudible, we wouldn’t have arrived here without taking the journey.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

Don’t act like you wouldn’t have been there

Whereas I'm sure you would have been a brave resistance fighter, as evidenced by your dedication to posting memes you found on 4chan.

• Haha 2

What I don’t understand is why BBC 1 , BBC 2 AND their News Channel all showed exactly the same programme plus they took BBC 4 off the air altogether. Radio 2 is still playing nonstop “ sad “ music, goodness knows what will happen when Her Maj goes.

6 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

While we have our “moments” on here, I agree completely with this. There is so much talk about how we now have a more tolerant society and yet people can’t wait to jump on the internet or have a protest because they’re not getting their way. Respect seems to be a thing of the past.

I put your "moments" down to your age FF, and make allowances! 

Seriously thought, appreciate the reply. (apologies for the late response, been out @ Sunday League match this morning, in the April hail!) 

Whilst people may not agree with others points of views / beliefs etc, they should ALWAYS have the right to expect to be able to follow them without prejudice, surely? 

Personally I did think there was too much coverage across the board on Friday, but just because id seen the news, doesn't mean the people are working / with kids / etc have, so for a monumental news item like this, it needs to be given expansive coverage. I get that. 

Moving a kick off time isn't too much of an inconvenience as we arent allowed in atm. Changing the dates would be more problematic with other fixtures etc. Im sure they will find a way though.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

That's why I said "most". The 12 includes Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco and Luxembourg. There are 51 countries in Europe so "most" seems an appropriate word to use to me.

2 hours ago, kirku said:

Why do you hate our country?

You are making 2 ridiculous assumptions there -

My country is the same as your country.

I hate my country.

I've read some rubbish over the last 48 hours but you just won the Gold medal.

4 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I hate my country.

He was joking, old boy.

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well done for ignoring the point, but then that doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, I'm not sure your final point of "casual racism was funny, why are people so easily offended these days?" is as profound or as intellectually interesting as you seem to think it is..

So, what do you reckon - they'll move kick offs back to 4.30pm?  I doubt they'd move them forward to say 12.30 as that'd divert people's attention.

28 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I hate my country.

It was parody so I guess I'll take the rubbish gold medal

5 minutes ago, Kathy said:

Again, so is our game on then?

I think you're mistaking this for a football forum! 

Oh, hold on.................

Currently, there are a handful of games on the Friday night (Everton v Spurs & Reading V Cardiff, and two PL games and an FA Cup semi-final) on Saturday that look to have been schedule for TV. I'd imagine there is some negotiation going on with the broadcasters to plan for any schedule changes. There is also the situation at Rotherham to consider who are already playing Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday so any movements of games that involves teams they are playing could create further complications. 

I'd suggest ours could be left where it is - am assuming the 2000 kick-off was to cater for extra time and penalties from the FA Cup semi should it get that far and avoid any overlap. I would have thought the league might direct the 1500 games be moved forward to 1230 to avoid any clash.

10 minutes ago, kirku said:

It was parody so I guess I'll take the rubbish gold medal

I think you need to look up the word 'parody' in your dictionary.