Sign in to follow this  
Matt Juler

No 3pm kick-offs next Saturday

10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

While we have our “moments” on here, I agree completely with this. There is so much talk about how we now have a more tolerant society and yet people can’t wait to jump on the internet or have a protest because they’re not getting their way. Respect seems to be a thing of the past.

I agree with this but respect is a two way door. There are many, probably millions, who do not have respect for this gentleman (I’m not including myself in this) and they have every right to hold that opinion. 

the national broadcaster choose to show wall to wall coverage of his life on both main channels simultaneously while BBC 4 decided to come off the air completely. That is not showing respect to people who legitimately hold different view. Sure it is a national event and quite rightly should be the main news story to reflect the clear strength of feeling that the majority clearly feel but there are other people whose opinions need to be reflected and respected. 

I absolutely agree that there is no place for some of the insensitive comments that are being bandied around on a personal level.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

While we have our “moments” on here, I agree completely with this. There is so much talk about how we now have a more tolerant society and yet people can’t wait to jump on the internet or have a protest because they’re not getting their way. Respect seems to be a thing of the past.

I usually agree with you but this time I don't. I'm quite a moderate person but I've been astonished at the media reaction to the Duke's death, especially the BBC. It is being stuffed down our throats non stop. I'm being asked to show respect for a man that I had no respect for whatsoever. Despite his position he regularly used terms like Bongo Bongo land and referred to the Chinese as "slitty eyes". He refused to apologise for the Chinese comments despite the damage what he had said may have done to economic and political relations with China.

When he wasn't being rude he spent his time shooting innocent defenseless animals for fun. He was a disgusting man in every respect and although I won't celebrate his death I certainly won't mourn it. Why should I? He's just someone who happened to take a fancy to a 13 year old girl when he was 18.

• Like 5

Its ok to have respect for the person and his family but I have zero respect for the institution which they represent. Its archaic and not needed in todays world.

Too many British people are still too happy to be subservient to the Monarchy.

Looks like the HRH Prince Philip RIP thread has hit the buffers so unless Pete’s got a day off this one looks like it’s heading the same way.

He’s way too smart a cookie not to spot the scallywags trying to sidle onto this one 😀

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Haha 1

The is an ironic correlation that those that are most demanding of forced, instituitionalised "respect" for this Europrean economic migrant who spent most of his life living off the state are most opposed to Europeans, particularly Germans, and especially economic migrants who live off the state.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Looks like the HRH Prince Philip RIP thread has hit the buffers so unless Pete’s got a day off this one looks like it’s heading the same way.

He’s way too smart a cookie not to spot the scallywags trying to sidle onto this one 😀

Unfortunately this is the lack of respect for people who hold a different view that I was referring to. Shutting down other points of view  like the BBC did the other day is not acceptable 

17 minutes ago, duke63 said:

Its ok to have respect for the person and his family but I have zero respect for the institution which they represent. Its archaic and not needed in todays world.

Too many British people are still too happy to be subservient to the Monarchy.

You should count your blessings to be living in the U.K. under the present regime 

Perhaps you’d prefer the dictator of North Korea or the number of African Countries living under dictatorship 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, daly said:

You should count your blessings to be living in the U.K. under the present regime 

Perhaps you’d prefer the dictator of North Korea or the number of African Countries living under dictatorship 

There are middle ways. Plenty of which are very successful. 

17 minutes ago, daly said:

Dare I suggest you start paying attention to what our present regime are up to?

• Like 1

Just a thought but how come the EFL can postpone kick offs for this, but when we wanted the Preston game put back they couldn't do anything and it had to be agreed by us and Preston.

I'm sure all clubs would agree to delay kick off and rightly so I think, but it would be interesting to have clarity on who actually decides it.

23 minutes ago, daly said:

Do a bit of digging into the history of the British Monarchy over the last few centuries and you will find its not that far removed from some African countries.

The British Empire is NOTHING to be proud of.

• Like 1

The quote that makes me smile is when he asked the Scottish driving instructor        “ how do you keep the locals sober long enough for them to pass their test ? “ 

10 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Whatever your personal views are on the royal family , why can't people just show respect for some one who has passed away? 

What a society we live in. 

Social media broke down the barriers of respect some time ago Greavsy and allowed people access to a world of abuse and insensitive comments by merely twitching their fingers on a phone or laptop.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Herman said:

Definiely not North Korea.😀

Please educate yourself on the North Korean regime and the suffering that goes on there if you think this is an acceptable comparison / joke.

I like James Felton but to me he’s gone through a similar process to all of you guys in the non football section. Taking the extreme view each time (of either side) and looking for a chance to get one over the others at every opportunity. Hours and hours day after day.

I said this on the Till1010s now deleted thread last night. I’m rather indifferent to the royals but can see the impact and importance they have to many around the world even if not to me. A billboard, tv coverage, or the efl making its own choice to postpone games really isn’t that much of an inconvenience . KingCanary on that thread had likened the postponements of games to the forced mourning of North Korea but it was wrong on all counts. Nobody is making you mourn anything. The royals haven’t dictated this. If the EFL believe  that many football fans think moving the games is appropriate then take up the issue with them.

• Like 2

Surely this has - as usual, turned into a left wing outpouring which should be moved to ‘Non-Football’. 

I’m bloody sure the BBC have done this for a reason. Knowing a few people that worked there, it’s not beyond the realms of fantasy that they want to ram it down our throats, so it stirs up anti-Royal sentiment - we are being ‘played’. 

Moving football kick-offs for Dookies funeral is just beyond the pale. 2 minutes silence etc....ridiculous! The guy said he wanted no fuss🙄

1 hour ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I usually agree with you but this time I don't. I'm quite a moderate person but I've been astonished at the media reaction to the Duke's death, especially the BBC. It is being stuffed down our throats non stop. I'm being asked to show respect for a man that I had no respect for whatsoever. Despite his position he regularly used terms like Bongo Bongo land and referred to the Chinese as "slitty eyes". He refused to apologise for the Chinese comments despite the damage what he had said may have done to economic and political relations with China.

When he wasn't being rude he spent his time shooting innocent defenseless animals for fun. He was a disgusting man in every respect and although I won't celebrate his death I certainly won't mourn it. Why should I? He's just someone who happened to take a fancy to a 13 year old girl when he was 18.

Wasn’t it the other way round?

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Wasn’t it the other way round?

Anything spouted by Witchell is likely to be the wrong way round. 

15 minutes ago, Grekm said:

Please educate yourself on the North Korean regime and the suffering that goes on there if you think this is an acceptable comparison / joke.

I like James Felton but to me he’s gone through a similar process to all of you guys in the non football section. Taking the extreme view each time (of either side) and looking for a chance to get one over the others at every opportunity. Hours and hours day after day.

I said this on the Till1010s now deleted thread last night. I’m rather indifferent to the royals but can see the impact and importance they have to many around the world even if not to me. A billboard, tv coverage, or the efl making its own choice to postpone games really isn’t that much of an inconvenience . KingCanary on that thread had likened the postponements of games to the forced mourning of North Korea but it was wrong on all counts. Nobody is making you mourn anything. The royals haven’t dictated this. If the EFL believe  that many football fans think moving the games is appropriate then take up the issue with them.

Having family from the old DDR I roughly know what it is like to live in extreme authoritarian state. And they definitely would not be allowed to make stupid jokes on the state of their state like I did. Wind your neck in, stop being so po-faced and appreciate that the English use humour a lot to help make sense of strange and unusual happenings.

14 hours ago, Petriix said:

Most 90+ year olds are massive racists. They grew up in a different era and find it hard to move with the times. Doesn't mean anyone shouldn't wish her well or mourn her eventual passing. Just not any more than when any other elderly lady passes.

Just to be clear , are you including ALL 90+ year olds ? Those of African decent ? Chinese? Caribbean? Or just ones that Twitter has told you are racist ? 

First I'm no monarchist, absolute or constitutional. It's clearly at source a mediaeval institution that's struggling to stay relevant in the 21st century as anything other than a soap opera.

That said, we all have to play the cards we are given. The D of E did well; a man of his time certainly with all the inbred views one would expect being born in 1920s (I used to see the same type of 'slitty' eyes comments in my parents) but on balance did far far more good than harm and clearly represented the Queen and country well. I wish we could all say the same when our lives are eventually measured.

However, the wall to wall coverage on BBC let alone 'moving' all of Saturdays sport because of his non-state funeral is excessive - and will only polarize views and damage the monarchy further. He was at all times practical and opposed to mindless ceremony we are told. In that light move the funeral to 1pm for those that wish to watch it and have a minutes silence plus the national anthem played at all sports events at more or less their normal times. I'm sure he would regard this as a far more fitting tribute than those who would turn the country upside down for most to ignore and others to only gossip at as if Harry and William have made up.

I certainly will have better practical things to do than gawp at such a sad event. Well played Phillip.

22 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

Just to be clear , are you including ALL 90+ year olds ? Those of African decent ? Chinese? Caribbean? Or just ones that Twitter has told you are racist ? 

You're mistaking my understanding and acceptance for prejudice. I'm just saying that it's understandable that a lot of (obviously white) old people are racists. And we're not likely to be able to educate them at this point. It's about picking your battles.

3 minutes ago, Petriix said:

You're mistaking my understanding and acceptance for prejudice. I'm just saying that it's understandable that a lot of (obviously white) old people are racists. And we're not likely to be able to educate them at this point. It's about picking your battles.

You need to be careful you don’t add fuel to an already well stoked fire. 
Racism is an assumption of superiority. A superiority  based solely around “race” (in itself a relatively modern concept) . 
My grandad would be 90+ if he was still alive. He was a marine commando in the War. 
My grandad fought alongside many different “races” drawn together as the commonwealth. He fought with Sikhs, Muslims , Poles and when the yanks finally turned up we allied with American units made of Black naval airmen . 
Grandad was in awe of these guys - particularly the black Americans - who he said were far braver and disciplined than their white counterparts . And had to sleep in different buildings - a concept even 1940’s Britain didn’t really get 
Many British military personnel would say the same . There wasn’t a racist bone In my grandads body . 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I must say that you seem to be a very nasty, prejudiced and bigoted individual.

The fact is the coverage won’t be changed, moaning about it won’t change it, it won’t change what will happen when the queen dies and sitting there watching the BBC with a shaking, clenched fist hoping Stalin would rise from his grave and get another far left “cannibal island” gulag going isn’t going to change anything.

even on the day he died the list of things you could have watched, the channels you could have watched or alternative activities you could have done was infinite.

If you are mad about the coverage of Prince Phillips death, it’s your fault.

Pic attached, attendance at Stalin’s State funeral

6E177085-B7C3-449E-9B8E-E3679D24C01A.jpeg

Edited by The Real Buh

28 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

The fact is the coverage won’t be changed, moaning about it won’t change it, it won’t change what will happen when the queen dies and sitting there watching the BBC with a shaking, clenched fist hoping Stalin would rise from his grave and get another far left “cannibal island” gulag going isn’t going to change anything.

even on the day he died the list of things you could have watched, the channels you could have watched or alternative activities you could have done was infinite.

Similar to the gathering when we get the Trophy 

30 minutes ago, The Real Buh said:

'Everyone who disagrees with me is a communist. I'm very smart.'

1 minute ago, king canary said:

'Everyone who disagrees with me is a communist. I'm very smart.'

Don’t act like you wouldn’t have been there