BroadstairsR

Arise Sir Grant Hanley

Up and until the recent (very) present I have readily accepted the given that GH was a decent central defender at Chumps level but would be inadequate in any Premier League defence.

Gradually I have begun to doubt that analysis. Today there was no doubt left. Not only was he everywhere and everthing today he also guided a rookie partner through a difficult patch.

Injury spell behind him he now proves his pedigree each and every game.  How many current PL defenders can you accredit to be superior to this all-round performer? There will be  a few who have cost millions, but otherwise? 

MoM. No doubting that. It was a tired performance. GH was wide awake throughout.

(Special mention also to Todd Cantwell who never stopped working when the tide was against.)

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 6

I’ve been interacting against my better judgement with some fool on Faceache who reckons Webber has only made three good signings in his time here (Pukki, Buendia, Krul) but Hanley is right up there with them IMO, absolutely vital to this team as a leader and a defender. 

• Like 1

Hanley will be more exposed next season (as will our whole defense) but he will be invaluable when grinding out results and fighting vs the Burnleys of the PL. We conceded far too many headed goals last season and he was missed.

We still need four centre backs next season though - ideally buying/loaning another ball-playing CB. 

To be fair most central defenders peak at around 30 years old so its pleased to see he's probably having one of his best ever seasons.

Hes been a rock defensively for us throughout the season.

48 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

Was immense today, MOTM by a country mile

Totally agree - he seemingly won every tackle, every header and even surged upfield on occasions. With the regular starts he's had and the injury free nature of the season he seems vastly improved to that player who made an F A Cup appearance v Portsmouth and hacked down an opponent when he turned slower than the Titanic!   

Whilst a new centre back is still a must in the summer, there's no doubt Hanley has developed considerably under Farke, and has most certainly earnt his chance of Premier League football next season. Whether or not he has improved enough to be a Premier League regular will only be seen when he comes up against the division's top attackers, but he deserves the opportunity to show what he can do. Fingers crossed he can take it, because he's clearly a top bloke and leader in the dressing room.

Big Grant was immense today, didnt miss a header, tackle, made at least 2 important blocks and on top of all that guiding and hopefully inspiring young Andrew along who can only hugely benefit from such towering performances. Very much one of our key players now for me.

45 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Whilst a new centre back is still a must in the summer, there's no doubt Hanley has developed considerably under Farke, and has most certainly earnt his chance of Premier League football next season. Whether or not he has improved enough to be a Premier League regular will only be seen when he comes up against the division's top attackers, but he deserves the opportunity to show what he can do. Fingers crossed he can take it, because he's clearly a top bloke and leader in the dressing room.

We will still need another defender next season and Hanley will have a long season with the Euros so cover will be needed.

3 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Up and until the recent (very) present I have readily accepted the given that GH was a decent central defender at Chumps level but would be inadequate in any Premier League defence.

Gradually I have begun to doubt that analysis. Today there was no doubt left. Not only was he everywhere and everthing today he also guided a rookie partner through a difficult patch.

Injury spell behind him he now proves his pedigree each and every game.  How many current PL defenders can you accredit to be superior to this all-round performer? There will be  a few who have cost millions, but otherwise? 

MoM. No doubting that. It was a tired performance. GH was wide awake throughout.

(Special mention also to Todd Cantwell who never stopped working when the tide was against.)

Agree with all of that, was the clear standout player in a poor overall team performance. He’s really come so far this season since settling into a run of games, an absolute rock in the air and on the ground, and surprising handy with the ball at his feet too; several times he set Giannoulis away today.

He really deserves a shot next year in the PL although the CB area will need strengthening regardless. So we will most certainly buy one. But I could absolutely see Hanley doing a ‘Krul’ of last season - I.e. not completely trusted for returning to PL football, so Fahrmann comes in as a potential suitor but Krul is given the chance to keep the number 1 spot - which he more than did.

This could definitely be Hanley, and I wouldn’t mind one bit!

Also to add:

I simply cannot wait for the fans of our first few opponents to rip into our club for STILL having Grant Hanley at the back (I.e. exactly what happened on football Twitter when he skewed that own goal in on the first game of last season at Anfield), only for them to be completely silenced when they realise the man is an absolute monster.

1 hour ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Agree with all of that, was the clear standout player in a poor overall team performance. He’s really come so far this season since settling into a run of games, an absolute rock in the air and on the ground, and surprising handy with the ball at his feet too; several times he set Giannoulis away today.

He really deserves a shot next year in the PL although the CB area will need strengthening regardless. So we will most certainly buy one. But I could absolutely see Hanley doing a ‘Krul’ of last season - I.e. not completely trusted for returning to PL football, so Fahrmann comes in as a potential suitor but Krul is given the chance to keep the number 1 spot - which he more than did.

This could definitely be Hanley, and I wouldn’t mind one bit!

We will need a CB to be good competition for Gibson and Hanley, that isnt Zimmermann I'm afraid. Gibson, Hanley, NEW CB, Zimermann and one of Famewo/Omobamidele.

We have been linked with a CB at Lens, I think his name is Loic Balde. 

Yes he’s come a long way since conceding that goal vs Liverpool.

he’s now really comfortable receiving the ball and playing it out , when he first started with Farkeball you could see the nerves.

My last game was away at Sheffield Utd last season who were flying high but he was immense and dominated their attackers, that game could have gone either way.

We need 4 CBs going into next season and he’s definitely on the list.