Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Placheta

Stop being such a drama queen. How can you be said to have 'had your chance' with 25 minutes off the bench.

I know Placheta hasn't set the world alight this year, but lets be honest, he's still contributed more than Hernandez has this season. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Stop being such a drama queen. How can you be said to have 'had your chance' with 25 minutes off the bench.

I know Placheta hasn't set the world alight this year, but lets be honest, he's still contributed more than Hernandez has this season. 

This. Christ, this reeks of 'Hugil is awful never play him again' posts we kept seeing.

Young lad, new team, strange country, couldn't speak the language. Give him a chance to settle, like we had to give Vrancic, Stiepermann, Zimmermann etc. before passing judgement.

• Like 4

Have to agree with Canaryking. Great chance to come on and make an impact with the league leaders against a fairly modest team. Made no impact at all. Where is this so called pace. 

We’ve often said how Todd and Emi aren’t wingers, they drift central and swap positions. Placheta is an out and out winger and not the type that plays intricate passes, but he’s asked to play like that in this system. He should have come on and stayed wide on their last man to stretch the play - that’s tactical and on Farke. 

Stiepermann on the other hand knows this system well and couldn’t get in the game at all. Not pressing. Not passing. 

• Like 1

If you're writing him off after that 2nd half performance you might as well write off every one of those attacking players. We looked like a side who didn't know you are allowed to pass to one another.

He's yet to really make a mark and he still looks very raw. Interesting that he was preferred to Onel today. Feels like a candidate for a loan spell next season though.

Placheta was always going to be a longer term project, he is raw but with undoubted potential. Singling him out when the whole team struggled in the second half today is incredibly harsh, as always let’s leave it to DF to develop him rather than slagging him off. 

Thing is, he's going to play in the Euro's in the summer.  Let's not knock him, praise him, and raise his fee!😉

Jeez, it takes a really special personality to start a thread slagging off Placheta when we've just won to go 8 points clear at the top with 15 to play for.

• Like 2

I would have expected a Polish international playing for the best team to stand out a bit more in the Championship.

Not sure at the moment. It won't be easy to progress in the Prem.

I agree with all of the above comments saying that he needs time.

The problem is that we probably won't be able to give him too much time next season in the PL... we can't afford to carry any passengers.

I hope that he gets a good preseason and adapts to the PL well. His pace could be vital when we want to counter attack.

41 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Young lad, new team, strange country, couldn't speak the language. Give him a chance to settle, like we had to give Vrancic, Stiepermann, Zimmermann etc. before passing judgement.

Indeed, has plenty of work to do but no problem with that for the very reasonable factors you’ve mentioned. A work in progress, just not suited to those who need everything NOW! They will never learn of course - Hello Rupp!

There was a glimpse of what he’s capable of when he was completely surrounded by 3, if not 4, Derby players out by the touchline. He had absolutely no right to be able to navigate his way out of that impossible spot, but that he did - a great bit of skill.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Sorry that’s it, had your chance, Hernandez won’t be happy staying on the bench.

F597CD4D-4CAA-4A99-8DCE-1AB001C71652.jpeg

Was difficult for him because his time on the pitch coincided with us having one of the worst periods of football we have had for a long time. We seemed to literally fall apart and were incapable of even simple passes. It was all very strange but we battled away at the back and got the 3 points which is all that matters in the end.

I suppose he's in a similar position to what Dowell was in a couple of months ago. He's coming off a long period out of the team due to a few niggles and he needs a run of games to get up to speed and comfortable, but the team is playing well so he can't get them. Dowell ended up getting his chance after a while, but with so few games left this season it is unlikely that Placheta will get his chance before the season is out.

He hasn't really lived up to expectations this season but there are many reasons for that which have already been pointed out earlier in the thread, but he's still young and has three years left on his contract so it's probably a bit too soon to write him off. He hasn't exactly shone in the Championship this season so the Premier League will likely be beyond him next year, which means a season-long loan spell is probably his best bet to find his feet in English football and show what he can do.

Just a reminder that when we went up last time there were plenty on here saying Cantwell was still very raw and would need another season out on loan. As it turned out he proved to be a genuinely talented PL player that season much lauded by the pundits. I'm sure Webber and Farke will know exactly what to do in developing Placheta's undoubted talents.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Just a reminder that when we went up last time there were plenty on here saying Cantwell was still very raw and would need another season out on loan. As it turned out he proved to be a genuinely talented PL player that season much lauded by the pundits. I'm sure Webber and Farke will know exactly what to do in developing Placheta's undoubted talents.

Agreed Horsefly, and who knows, coupled with extra time to settle in ala Rupp and a European Championship to help get him up to speed (minutes permitting), he may even be more suited to the Premier League where pace is more important than in the Championship. Wouldn’t be the first player to do so!

• Like 1

Definitely think he could do a Cantwell, and by that I mean look non-descript in the Championship, look like he might need a loan as seasoning, then come alive in the Premiership. We'll be on the back foot a lot more in the Premier, and that kind of pace he has haring into spaces is exactly what could give us a valuable counter-attacking weapon.

Put it this way, Hernandez was our best player in Project Restart for fundamentally similar reasons.

• Like 1

Placheta's Norwich career so far was typified by a moment in the second half today where he burst forward out of defence with the ball creating a 4 vs 4 break. Then he tamely passed the ball straight to their defender.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised by him suddenly developing an end-product. Nathan Redmond was a similar pacey winger who added the quality later and has gone on to become a decent Premier League player. I won't write him off just yet, but he's got a big improvement to make if he wants to have an impact next season.

11 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Definitely think he could do a Cantwell, and by that I mean look non-descript in the Championship, look like he might need a loan as seasoning, then come alive in the Premiership. We'll be on the back foot a lot more in the Premier, and that kind of pace he has haring into spaces is exactly what could give us a valuable counter-attacking weapon.

Put it this way, Hernandez was our best player in Project Restart for fundamentally similar reasons.

Well said, Gunny.

Re your last point, I also thought Onel was by far and away head and shoulders our best player in project restart. He is another player that I can add to the list that certainly doesn’t have any questions to answer about whether he can cut it or not - question answered emphatically for me. Maybe a good example of a player being better suited to the Premier League than the Chsmpionship as discussed above in fact.

I just don’t think his close control and decision making is good enough currently.  I guess he will probably need a lot more game time.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I would have expected a Polish international playing for the best team to stand out a bit more in the Championship.

Not sure at the moment. It won't be easy to progress in the Prem.

Agreed.

It has just been so disappointing to see a player with so much pure pace but a complete reluctance to ever just knock the ball past a full back to try and use it. 

It can't be on Farke's instruction because Aarons seems to try that several times a game. 

I do understand why he'd have been reluctant to take risks today with us 1-0 up, but in various other games our lead hasn't been that perilous, and he has still turned his back and played the ball backwards.

Farke is clearly good at developing players, although nobody ever has a 100% success rate or have methods which work with every personality type, I wouldn't rule out Placheta improving, but at the same time I'm just not quite convinced that he has the necessary cutting edge in his locker!

13 minutes ago, Petriix said:

Placheta's Norwich career so far was typified by a moment in the second half today where he burst forward out of defence with the ball creating a 4 vs 4 break. Then he tamely passed the ball straight to their defender.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised by him suddenly developing an end-product. Nathan Redmond was a similar pacey winger who added the quality later and has gone on to become a decent Premier League player. I won't write him off just yet, but he's got a big improvement to make if he wants to have an impact next season.

No, Redmond still has very little end product. 

In fact, in terms of goals + assists he still hasn't bettered his final season with us. Hasn't progressed at all. 

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

No, Redmond still has very little end product. 

In fact, in terms of goals + assists he still hasn't bettered his final season with us. Hasn't progressed at all. 

I think he's got a little more end product than Placheta. I'd be ecstatic if he gets as good as Redmond.

At the moment Pepe is the classic 'headless chicken'..... lots of prancing around, acheiving very little. His defensive/tracking back is nowhere near the level of Emis, in fact I watched him closely today and he was lost ,defensively.

Looks nervous and trying too hard, can see why we bought him, but its gonna take time by the look of him.

8 minutes ago, Petriix said:

I think he's got a little more end product than Placheta. I'd be ecstatic if he gets as good as Redmond.

Well yeah obviously.

I'd be ecstatic if he gets as good as Adrian Forbes. 

• Like 1