Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Farke speaks today on his future at Norwich.

'There is no time to think about my individual future. I am more worried about winning football matches. There is no time to be selfish.

"I have a contract until June 2022. I have always fulfilled my contracts. Nobody needs to be worried.'

Granted, not a lot of detail there, but how do you read that folks? It’s the bit right at the end that is what leaves a lot of questions for me, and has led me to this post.

‘Nobody needs to be worried’.

Now Daniel isn’t stupid and must surely have realised the question wasn’t about what could happen in the next few weeks, he would surely know that that was about what happens in ‘22. He was very careful with what he said there about not breaking contracts, but ‘nobody needs to be worried’ could very much be taken either 1 of 2 ways - he keeps his word and indeed sees his contract out until the end of next season, or could it be a subtle hint that we don’t need to worry because he won’t be going anywhere, he just can’t say as much yet? 

Most of us want Farke and Webber to continue on onto new contracts but we're just going to have to wait and see. I think they'll both go and we'll have to trust the succession plan.

• Like 1

Would be a disaster if they both left at the same time without their replacements already know and how you can know who the next head coach will be if the there is uncertainty over the sporting director is questionable. You don't want a situation where Webber appoints the new head coach, then leaves, as the next sporting director may not think they are the best person for the job.

Webber's mantra is he wants to leave the club in a better place than he found it, and even if Norwich get relegated next season he will have fulfilled that, but is would be a disservice if he left the club with no leadership in place. Hopefully Farke will agree a new contract, maybe even just a year extension, to help transition the club when a new sporting director comes in - a far bigger upheaval than head coach.

I don't think Farke's comments hint at anything beyond the next few months and 'nobody needs to worry' is more about him not looking to leave this summer. I do feel that he'll not want to stay much longer though - the fact his family have never left Germany suggests he has always had one eye on returning there.

I read this differently. I don't think we've been made hugely aware of much interest from other clubs in Farke's work, and as he has said, he always honours his contracts. My view is that he will come round to negotiations when the season is over, and not left such matters distract him from the most important thing, making sure we're back up and with a team that's got a chance to compete.

He's given himself a chance to fight for it this time around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its really a case of have they taken Norwich as far as they can - and would they go further elsewhere ?

Webber especially seems to be good at getting clubs onto a secure financial basis with the buy in from the owners and fans on a self sustaining basis. Not sure how that would translate to the big 6 and if their fans would accept a bit of austerity and fewer trophies (I note Man City's latest statement 'Cant afford Aguero replacement' so maybe thing are changing).

So just possibly Farke/Webber are as well placed here to get us into the top 5/6 as anywhere and become true legends!

12 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Its really a case of have they taken Norwich as far as they can - and would they go further elsewhere ?

Webber especially seems to be good at getting clubs onto a secure financial basis with the buy in from the owners and fans on a self sustaining basis. Not sure how that would translate to the big 6 and if their fans would accept a bit of austerity and fewer trophies (I note Man City's latest statement 'Cant afford Aguero replacement' so maybe thing are changing).

So just possibly Farke/Webber are as well placed here to get us into the top 5/6 as anywhere and become true legends!

I just can't see that they wouldn't have keeping us in the EPLC as the next big challenge, and an achievable one. They haven't done all they can do here yet!

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It must be so. The aim, once having got the playing side how they want, must be to see how far they can go with it.  It has always been my view that the top of the PL is possible - challenging for at least the top six.  That's not to say we will do that, but that surely has to be the aim - or to put it another way - to do as well as you can and see where it takes you. Could be next season, or maybe a  successful season next year to stay in the PL with ease would then set us up for a challenge the following season.  Football is a funny old game, so who knows, but we have a winning formula that seems to be getting better and better - so the sky is the limit!

We need to do all we can to keep him, but he will probably feel next year is about the right time to move on. He will feel rightly that he has the potential to manage in the champions league.

Question is, can we replace him with someone good .... big point in the clubs history when it comes to replacing him and Webber.

The issue is what Webber wants to do? If he’s ambitious then the next step will be for a different mindset to his last 5 years as surely to move up the pyramid he’ll be working with much bigger budgets and damn more pressure on his shoulders. Do we as a club need to seriously look to external investment to match his ambitions and if we can would a bigger budget be enough to persuade him to sign up for other three years. Also the same for Farke.....there’s the catch, the current set up was built by Webber & Farke so do we want to change the strategy or staff? 
We can only wait and see, but it’s been a fantastic four years and I’m sure next year will be pretty awesome too, so thanks to both for their Sterling Work whatever the outcome in 2022.

If I'm not mistaken, hasn't Webber expressed an interest in working in Spain one day, with Barcelona the ultimate dream? Obviously that's a long way off and in all likelihood will never happen, but if he's serious about chasing it then he'd need to either move to Spain or a Premier League club that competes regularly in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

The issue is what Webber wants to do? If he’s ambitious then the next step will be for a different mindset to his last 5 years as surely to move up the pyramid he’ll be working with much bigger budgets and damn more pressure on his shoulders. Do we as a club need to seriously look to external investment to match his ambitions and if we can would a bigger budget be enough to persuade him to sign up for other three years. Also the same for Farke.....there’s the catch, the current set up was built by Webber & Farke so do we want to change the strategy or staff? 
We can only wait and see, but it’s been a fantastic four years and I’m sure next year will be pretty awesome too, so thanks to both for their Sterling Work whatever the outcome in 2022.

We should only look to and accept exterrnal investment if it is the right thing to do in term of the overall plan, whatever that might be now, and not in the hope of matching one person's ambitions, however valuable that person.

• Thanks 1

I don't think with Webber it is a case of Norwich having to match his ambitions or not being big enough for him. He has stated he wants to work abroad and has even talked about working in other sports. I think he is someone who wants to move about and experience as much as possible in his career, rather than just sticking in one place. While I could see a potential short extension for either/both Webber and Farke, I can't imagine either of them will be around beyond 2023. Webber might do one more year as the was effectively a year lost due to Covid - but if Norwich survive next season in the Prem it would seem the natural point for them to feel it is time to move on. German clubs have been hovering around Farke for a longtime, he could most likely land a pretty plum Bundesliga job whenever he wants and I'm sure there would be plenty interested in Webber should he be available.

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

We should only look to and accept exterrnal investment if it is the right thing to do in term of the overall plan, whatever that might be now, and not in the hope of matching one person's ambitions, however valuable that person.

That is true, but surely our plan as a club is to take that next step too isn’t it? Again it’s only a line of thought, what we’re doing now is great but surely it would be better to be a club those like the future Buendia’s & Aarons see as attractive place to be not just a stepping stone to bigger and better things? 

Many thanks for all your work and the success you have brought to the club and the team you have left us with.  Good luck in the future with your next venture.  Words of congratulation for the job Daniel has done over his 5 years.

Daniel will leave in 2022, to stay longer will be an anticlimax to the splendid job he has done to date.  Webber has announced his departure the comments about staying too long apply to him as well as Daniel.

We can but hope the next encumbents in the seats occupied by Farke and Webber are up to the job.     

Good place to jump in as a new poster. 

For me people are looking at this the wrong way round a bit. 

Its what farke and webber get offered elsewhere that will dictate what they do

If we finish tenth next season, with an improved squad that could push on, with money to spend, then it would surely take something extraordinary to shift either of them? 

Unless farke gets offered a top division job, or webber, why would they just walk? Would make no sense. 

Edited by Wrathofthefarkely

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I don't think with Webber it is a case of Norwich having to match his ambitions or not being big enough for him. He has stated he wants to work abroad and has even talked about working in other sports. I think he is someone who wants to move about and experience as much as possible in his career, rather than just sticking in one place. While I could see a potential short extension for either/both Webber and Farke, I can't imagine either of them will be around beyond 2023. Webber might do one more year as the was effectively a year lost due to Covid - but if Norwich survive next season in the Prem it would seem the natural point for them to feel it is time to move on. German clubs have been hovering around Farke for a longtime, he could most likely land a pretty plum Bundesliga job whenever he wants and I'm sure there would be plenty interested in Webber should he be available.

I agree with that. I don't think it would be a great problem if they did leave at about the  same time, provided Webber does what supposedly he has already planned for, which is to advice the board on his successor as sporting director.

Then the new person, assuming they were in place first, could pick Farke's replacement. It is not unlikely that Webber would also have a new head coach in mind and that whoever that was would figure on the new sporting director's short list of such anyway. Possibly, if he carries on impressing, the Barnsley head coach.

I think it all depends in which league we are in. If relegated next season I really can't see Farke sticking around for another bash at the Championship. If we stay up then at a lot will depend if the new DF wants Farke and indeed if Daniel wants to work for him.

Webber has long said he will leave next year. It would be a massive u-turn for that not to happen, and probably won't unfortunately.

I'm 99% sure Webber will stick to his word and leave at the end of next season. He doesn't seem like one to change his mind about something like that.

We'd obviously be looking at either an external or internal hire. Aside from not having an extensive knowledge of sporting directors, Keiran Scott is a name that has been mentioned a lot and would make sense from a continuity point of view. Same vision, ethos, strategy etc.

You would assume Farke's future would be resolved once they know who is replacing Webber.

Farke's comments were pretty much identical to the last time he was due to sign a contract, which were pretty non-commital. Ideally, he would give us (at least) another two years, as it would also ensure a bit of stability at the club.

I have a sneeky feeling he'll leave too though. His relationship with Webber seems pretty key and I think he'll be happy to leave on a high. He mentioned that he had offers last season and, whilst I believe he's loved his time here, I think he'd prefer to test himself in the Bundesliga, nearer to his family. 

If they do leave, it will be a shame because I feel like they have only grown the club to 75% of it's potential... not to sound ungrateful but I feel like they could establish us in the PL and expand the stadium if they stayed another 5 years!

I can see a similiar thing happening at the end of next season as to when Lambert left.

Club in a tremendous position ... everything pointing towards putting down roots in the top flight BUT the pilot pressing the ejector button!

14 minutes ago, Indy said:

That is true, but surely our plan as a club is to take that next step too isn’t it? Again it’s only a line of thought, what we’re doing now is great but surely it would be better to be a club those like the future Buendia’s & Aarons see as attractive place to be not just a stepping stone to bigger and better things? 

Indy, this may surprise you but I no longer know what the board's plan are, because Delia never talks to me nowadays. We were that close and then she totally cut me out of her life. Just like Megan whatshername and Piers  bl**dy Morgan.

It is the sheer ingratitude that rankles. I have spent decades as her staunchest defender no matter how awful it was, even down in League One, setting up multiple happy clapper accounts. Can you imagine how tiring it is to pretend to be some sunny optimist in the Lake District when we are losing to Tranmere Rovers or Carlisle United......

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I can see a similiar thing happening at the end of next season as to when Lambert left.

Club in a tremendous position ... everything pointing towards putting down roots in the top flight BUT the pilot pressing the ejector button!

I will only start to worry if we get leaked audio of DF a bit worse for wear and indulging in some bawdy banter with the lads at the end of season dinner. Can’t see it happening myself.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

do feel that he'll not want to stay much longer though - the fact his family have never left Germany suggests he has always had one eye on returning there.

This point you make at the end reminds me, Bethnal. When I posted the thread I completely forgot about that, but I do believe this is the single most important factor in what happens next re Daniel and the potential for him to stay on or not.

If you think about it, he never did move his family over here so this suggests strongly to me that he’s always known he would return to Germany once he’d fulfilled his desire to manage in England.

I know exactly what it’s like to be separated from your nearest and dearest for many years from my times split between the US (Florida) and here. It is certainly achievable but it takes a certain type of mentality to make it work and be as much at peace with the situation as is possible.

This would also explain why there has not been any apparent obvious attempts to lure him away from other clubs in the country. I cannot believe there’s not been any clubs over here that haven’t looked at Daniel without admiring glances for the remarkable and sterling job that he’s done here. And the reason for that? I have a hunch that it may already be very well known in industry circles in England that signing him up is not a possibility, because he will be returning to Germany in 2022 for reasons beyond even football that are understandably completely non negotiable. 

So, given a bit more thought to the situation prompted by Bethnal, my feeling now is that I think this brilliant man of honour will not only be leaving our club at the end of next season, but with certainty, returning to Germany too. And good luck to him. In my opinion he will be irreplaceable and the next manager/coach is going to have one hell of a task living up to our current boss - but then, maybe our next manager is already sat in the dugout at Carrow Rd already? Easily my favourite EVER Norwich City manager or coach.

2 hours ago, pete said:

Many thanks for all your work and the success you have brought to the club and the team you have left us with.  Good luck in the future with your next venture.  Words of congratulation for the job Daniel has done over his 5 years.

Daniel will leave in 2022, to stay longer will be an anticlimax to the splendid job he has done to date.  Webber has announced his departure the comments about staying too long apply to him as well as Daniel.

We can but hope the next encumbents in the seats occupied by Farke and Webber are up to the job.     

Totally agree. If we stay up next season I think they will both regard the five year stint as 'job well done'.  If we get relegated again it would be stretching credulity to think that we could do it AGAIN and bounce back. Particularly as the key players would no longer be here. I don't think either would have the stomach for a sixth year knowing the odds would be increasingly stacked against them. One more season I'm afraid.

• Like 1

I do recall Farke saying that at some point he could go to a big club that has already won many titles and cup just to win another title or cup but he didn't seem so interested in that.
It seemed as though Farke & Webber really were quite intent on seeing out some project here. Exactly what their end goals (no pun) are/were I don't know.

I actually think Farke likes the idea of doing a Guy Roux or Volker Finke. They were two managers, at Auxerre and Freiburg respectively, who were there for very long periods of time and created teams that punched well above their weight in the process. The question remains - does he want to do it here?

5 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I agree with that. I don't think it would be a great problem if they did leave at about the  same time, provided Webber does what supposedly he has already planned for, which is to advice the board on his successor as sporting director.

Then the new person, assuming they were in place first, could pick Farke's replacement. It is not unlikely that Webber would also have a new head coach in mind and that whoever that was would figure on the new sporting director's short list of such anyway. Possibly, if he carries on impressing, the Barnsley head coach.

I’ve not watched Barnsley this season, but I thought Ismael has them playing as an up and at them, very physical and direct team, almost the polar opposite to our style? I would have thought Russ Martin would be a more compatible choice, although I could see the club being reluctant to appoint an ex-player as it hasn’t ended well in the past. Having said that, Mark Robins might be on the list too. 

Chances are, the next head coach will be like most of our signings and completely out of the blue. Either that or it will be whoever is in charge of Borussia Dortmund II.

Webber is interesting. I can see him staying here for a couple of years but in reality it will be completely dependent upon what jobs are available. There might be not a great deal much about, who knows?

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I would have thought Russ Martin would be a more compatible choice, although I could see the club being reluctant to appoint an ex-player as it hasn’t ended well in the past.

Dave Stringer did quite well !

• Like 1