Crabbycanary3

Transfer rumour - Greek striker

9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The obligatory Youtube highlights video here (don't complain to me about the background music)

What, no Fozzy Flick? Can't be any good... 

Looks good at corners and a good eye from range but quite a few lumps straight into the keeper there, and a number of penalties. Bit inconclusive I'd say... 

He sounds good but I’m a bit nervous about signing him. I believe when we signed RvW he was the top scorer in the Portuguese 1st tier, he scored on his debut for us but then scored just 1 more goal for us, in a cup fixture against Rotherham 2 years later. Though there has been some debate over the years that CH’s defensive style of play didn’t suit him.

I feel a bit more confident with Webber still at the club as he has made some brilliant signings but not all of them have been great - Drmic, Duda, Heise, Roberts to name a few, which is why I’m glad we’ve signed Giannoulis and Gibson on loan with an option to buy and didn’t cough up the cash straight away.

He might turn as a perfect replacement for Pukki who’s already 31 but what we must remember is that if we sign him although we could have another Sutton/Robins/Ekoku/Holt on our hands, we might end up with another RvW/Naismith/Drmic.

I can’t say yes or no though as we need to sign a decent striker this summer as backup for Pukki, and there’s going to be big arguments on here over each one we’re rumoured with signing

5 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

He sounds good but I’m a bit nervous about signing him. I believe when we signed RvW he was the top scorer in the Portuguese 1st tier, he scored on his debut for us but then scored just 1 more goal for us, in a cup fixture against Rotherham 2 years later. Though there has been some debate over the years that CH’s defensive style of play didn’t suit him.

I feel a bit more confident with Webber still at the club as he has made some brilliant signings but not all of them have been great - Drmic, Duda, Heise, Roberts to name a few, which is why I’m glad we’ve signed Giannoulis and Gibson on loan with an option to buy and didn’t cough up the cash straight away.

He might turn as a perfect replacement for Pukki who’s already 31 but what we must remember is that if we sign him although we could have another Sutton/Robins/Ekoku/Holt on our hands, we might end up with another RvW/Naismith/Drmic.

I can’t say yes or no though as we need to sign a decent striker this summer as backup for Pukki, and there’s going to be big arguments on here over each one we’re rumoured with signing

Scored a lot of goals at his level in a pretty technical league. Looks a relatively sound proposition. If true, we've scouted him for some time. We do need competition for Pukki, especially if he gets injured next season and he isnt getting any younger. Means Hugill will play 3rd fiddle or be shipped out, with the potential of Idah going out on loan. A step in the right direction in my book, if true.

1 hour ago, ncfcstar said:

Van Wolfswinkel

Mastoola’s point is perfectly valid though. Luis Suarez is an excellent example that doing well in the Dutch Prem doesn’t mean you have to be average elsewhere. As Luis Suarez most certainly wasn’t or isn’t. 

As for Van Wolfswinkel. That bloke got here a decade too soon. I reckon the RvW we saw at Sporting Lisbon etc would have been a fantastic fit in this Daniel Farke side. 

• Like 1

The thing I'd be worried about is that he doesn't have much of a scoring record outside this season with Venlo. Could just be a striker who hit a hot spell and may be found out, or could be one who's got it to click.

Sounds good. Ticks our usual boxes. Price, profile etc.

Of course there's always the RVW experience/risk, but our scouting and recruitment are so much better these days.

The computer says "Yes!"

18 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

But none of us were exactly creaming ourselves when Teemu signed, as he hadn't pulled up many trees before coming here.

Now, he's splitting the logs with his bare hands

For every RvW, there is a Teemu. We have got more Teemu's right than RvW's wrong over the years

14 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

With the greatest of respect Hazza buddy, any player in the world may or may not work out at a new club. But what do you propose? Never ever sign another player again that’s doing well at his current club?! Only sign strikers that have a 1 goal in 54 strike rate to avoid disappointment?!?

2 hours ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Pint of Ouzo! That's not a good idea! 

Next game against Bournemouth? Though we might not be playing them any time soon after next Saturday mate 😜

48 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

I get nerves but as @Alex Moss says, no signing can ever be a sure thing.

I have no idea if we're interested in this guy or not but the profile looks promising- a good age, strong goal scoring record but not likely to cost the earth and also someone who would have to be comfortable competing for a start rather than just being handed it.

I trust Webber and co to have a good sense of how he'd fit into our style of play. Loan-to-buy deals are great but it severely limits the pool of players available to you. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Next game against Bournemouth? Though we might not be playing them any time soon after next Saturday mate 😜

Will put it in the diary ! I will detox till then ! 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I get nerves but as @Alex Moss says, no signing can ever be a sure thing.

I have no idea if we're interested in this guy or not but the profile looks promising- a good age, strong goal scoring record but not likely to cost the earth and also someone who would have to be comfortable competing for a start rather than just being handed it.

I trust Webber and co to have a good sense of how he'd fit into our style of play. Loan-to-buy deals are great but it severely limits the pool of players available to you. 

Agreed, Kingo, and I feel you’re absolutely right.

Who knows if we’re really after him, must admit I’ve not watched the highlights reel like some of you guys to get an idea of what he’s about, but there’s no arguing that the strike rate for a player in a relegation threatened side is nothing short of exceptional in any division.

But for a multitude of reasons, I reckon this might well have legs. 

Re KC’s point about trepidation when signing a new player, it makes me wonder how many of our previous signings have you guys thought ‘what a signing, can’t go wrong!’?. I felt that way about Emi after watching his highlights reel. I thought wow, when you’ve got that much natural ability I can’t really see this guy failing. Though he’s surpassed even my initial gut feeling for sure, what a baller! 💫

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

Agreed, Kingo, and I feel you’re absolutely right.

Who knows if we’re really after him, must admit I’ve not watched the highlights reel like some of you guys to get an idea of what he’s about, but there’s no arguing that the strike rate for a player in a relegation threatened side is nothing short of exceptional in any division.

But for a multitude of reasons, I reckon this might well have legs. 

Re KC’s point about trepidation when signing a new player, it makes me wonder how many of our previous signings have you guys thought ‘what a signing, can’t go wrong!’?. I felt that way about Emi after watching his highlights reel. I thought wow, when you’ve got that much natural ability I can’t really see this guy failing. Though he’s surpassed even my initial gut feeling for sure, what a baller! 💫

Buendia is one that springs to mind for sure. 

However I was also a big fan of the Ben Marshall signing which shows how much I know.

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Mastoola’s point is perfectly valid though. Luis Suarez is an excellent example that doing well in the Dutch Prem doesn’t mean you have to be average elsewhere. As Luis Suarez most certainly wasn’t or isn’t. 

As for Van Wolfswinkel. That bloke got here a decade too soon. I reckon the RvW we saw at Sporting Lisbon etc would have been a fantastic fit in this Daniel Farke side. 

I didn't deny that, but my point is just as valid too (I agree with you re: RvW and Farke).

RVW was a good player in my view, just wasnt the right signing for us at the time. We never played to his strengths and was a doomed signing before he even kicked a ball. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

I didn't deny that, but my point is just as valid too (I agree with you re: RvW and Farke).

In fairness, any player in the world is either going to do either well, or not 😉🤪

Yep, RvW I bet would have hit the ground running here I’m sure buddy. To play in such a confident environment would have been a game changer for him too I feel. Not only that but you just know Farke would have really got the best out of him. I suspect the management back then, as nice a bloke as Chris Hughton was, just didn’t know how to make a player believe. Complete chalk and cheese compared to the club and personnel we have now!

9 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

RVW was a good player in my view, just wasnt the right signing for us at the time. We never played to his strengths and was a doomed signing before he even kicked a ball. 

Can we agree the matter is closed now for the purposes of this thread? Please?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Can we agree the matter is closed now for the purposes of this thread? Please?

Having Snodgrass on the right didn't help him at all..

• Haha 1

Undecided on this one. It's certainly plausible though as it fits our profile.

The fact he's coming from the Netherlands has upsides and downsides. Obviously the Eredivisie isn't a bad league and the Netherlands has produced many great players and had some stars pass through, but it has had some turkeys as well. Also, there are always loads of goals flying in which may exaggerate goalscoring records.

The fact he has scored so many for a struggling side is a bonus. RvW was playing for a top(ish) side in Portugal so adapting to a relegation battling side is a factor not to be underestimated. Giakoumakis wouldn't have this. 

Eight of his goals this season have been penalties. Obviously all goals count, but if he wasn't the designated taker then his stats would still be good, but not as impressive as they currently are.

Also, at 26, this is his first season scoring at this rate. His last three seasons have been unspectacular in Greece with a short loan in Poland where he scored three times, so is this season a one-off or is he just a late bloomer?

Ultimately, if Farke, Webber, Scott et al. decide he's worth a punt then I'd back them, but I'm not totally convinced at this stage.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

To those bringing up RvW, do we genuinely believe he wouldn't have the potential to hypothetically do well in this team? 

I think any posters on here would score a goal or two playing in this side. The amount of chances we create in some games

Thanks for all the consolation quotes on my comment, I really am grateful for it. As you can probably guess I was just fearing we would find ourselves in the same problem that we had before - a self funded club, playing in the 2nd tier, with a high wage bill. As others have said though, no signing is guaranteed to work out - just take Sanchez from Arsenal to Man Utd into example: same league, same level club, hopeless.

We all know that we’ve got to sign a decent striker this summer in case Pukki gets injured and to give the Fin a run for his money. I can’t see how Idah or Hugill would cut it in the top flight. Forwards tend to be the most expensive players though, but I certainly agree with of the positive claims that others have made:

1) Goals Scored - To score 24 league goals in a single season is very impressive, but to score them for a relegation threatened side seems incredible. Having scored them over just 26 games he almost averages a goal every game.

2) Injury Proneness - The last thing we want is to do is sign an injury prone striker (Drmic, Naismith), but having made 26 league league appearances so far this season it does sound like he isn’t very injury prone.

3) League Strength - I myself do believe that the Dutch 1st tier is quite strong, as there are some quite big teams in it.

Signing the striker will be a big challenge and a huge gamble, but it has to be done. It would be great if we signed him and he turned out to be the perfect fit - I would love to see us become an established PL side. However, next season will be our last chance to do it as Webber only has 1 year left on his contract and is set to leave when it expires.

32 minutes ago, AJ said:

To those bringing up RvW, do we genuinely believe he wouldn't have the potential to hypothetically do well in this team? 

I think any posters on here would score a goal or two playing in this side. The amount of chances we create in some games

First question - yes. 

Looking back 10 years on I will say something that I doubt anyone would agree with. I think RvW was too advanced to play in such a pedestrian Chris Hughton team.

Case in point, we laughed, and many took the p1ss when he played that apparently bizarre pass to no one during the game against Fulham or Spurs (can’t remember which, could have been neither). But on reflection the best part of 10 years on, I now think that if he plays that pass in 2021 then this Norwich side are on the same level creativity wise, and that ends up in the back of the net. I wouldn’t mind betting he played that pass out of frustration simply to illustrate just how damn incapable we were in terms of attacking vision and movement (with the exception of Wes), a kind of show of petulance towards Chris Hughton’s anti football. Or more likely, he did it instinctively and thought to himself I can see this is a side who have absolutely no idea how to play nor read the beautiful game. Then again, I’ve not seen it for a long time and it might just have been cr@p ha ha, but I still believe we couldn’t have been a worse fit for him at the time, he was a quite capable striker everywhere else which wasn’t a fluke, we were the exception for some ‘strange’ reason. Thank god times have moved on for our club 🙏

Edited by Alex Moss

29 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

First question - yes. 

Looking back 10 years on I will say something that I doubt anyone would agree with. I think RvW was too advanced to play in such a pedestrian Chris Hughton team.

Case in point, we laughed, and many took the p1ss when he played that apparently bizarre pass to no one during the game against Fulham or Spurs (can’t remember which, could have been neither). But on reflection the best part of 10 years on, I now think that if he plays that pass in 2021 then this Norwich side are on the same level creativity wise, and that ends up in the back of the net. I wouldn’t mind betting he played that pass out of frustration simply to illustrate just how damn incapable we were in terms of attacking vision and movement (with the exception of Wes), a kind of show of petulance towards Chris Hughton’s anti football. Or more likely, he did it instinctively and thought to himself I can see this is a side who have absolutely no idea how to play nor read the beautiful game. Then again, I’ve not seen it for a long time and it might just have been cr@p ha ha, but I still believe we couldn’t have been a worse fit for him at the time, he was a quite capable striker everywhere else which wasn’t a fluke, we were the exception for some ‘strange’ reason. Thank god times have moved on for our club 🙏

I don't think he'd ever have been a great success in the Premier League- he was too lightweight an unable to cope with any physicality. Even in this team defences would have have worked him out pretty quickly. He probably wouldn't have been the disaster he was under Hughton but I don't think he'd have been a great success. I think Hooper would have done well in this side though.

He's much better suited to being the main man in a weaker leagues top team where all he needs to do is finish the chances he's given. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

I don't think he'd ever have been a great success in the Premier League- he was too lightweight an unable to cope with any physicality. Even in this team defences would have have worked him out pretty quickly. He probably wouldn't have been the disaster he was under Hughton but I don't think he'd have been a great success. I think Hooper would have done well in this side though.

He's much better suited to being the main man in a weaker leagues top team where all he needs to do is finish the chances he's given. 

Hooper wouldn't get within a million miles of a Farke team. His work rate was just nowhere near what Daniel requires from his strikers. (and there is no way that Webber would have signed off on the pie bill either). 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Hooper wouldn't get within a million miles of a Farke team. His work rate was just nowhere near what Daniel requires from his strikers. (and there is no way that Webber would have signed off on the pie bill either). 

That might be true but I'm thinking in comparison to RVW- Hooper had more strength, and that low center of gravity that allowed him to deal with the more physical aspects of Premier League football while Ricky got knocked off the ball with ease.

9 minutes ago, king canary said:

That might be true but I'm thinking in comparison to RVW- Hooper had more strength, and that low center of gravity that allowed him to deal with the more physical aspects of Premier League football while Ricky got knocked off the ball with ease.

Yes - completely agree with that. Unfortunately RVW just wasn't up to the physical demands of English football. 

The useful thing about van Wolfswinkel was that he was a cautionary tale. I would be amazed if Webber and Farke were interested in any striker who was so limited as a player. Whoever arrives will be more than just a lightweight pure goalscorer.

14 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The obligatory Youtube highlights video here (don't complain to me about the background music)

Saw them as well - loved his attitude where most of the time he’d score and goal and immediately get the ball out of the net as the team are often behind. 

Will he want to go to another team fighting for their life in the division again?