Sign in to follow this  
Indy

Credit to the owners and hope Webber does stay beyond next !

A reply I posted on another thread got me thinking just how a continuous improvement process this club has gone through from top to bottom! Credit to our owners on taking a totally new direction back four years ago when we we’re heading for trouble again, I had my doubts on Webber but by god he’s proven to be the best appointment this club has ever made!

Have we ever been so financially sound?

The training facilities are revamped with the most technically advanced equipment and set up we’ve ever had. Sport science has really been noticeable.

The youth set up is cat 1 and the envy of many clubs, along with our recruiting has been superb, we have a squad value we could only have dreamed off!

Our youth set up is greatly improved by Neil Adams and his overview and loan set up, meaning when needed the youngsters appear ready to make the step up for us.

We’re about to join the elite league with the potential of another massive cash injection into the club again.

Farke and his management team have total respect of our players, they get the best out of them and we’re playing some of the best football ever and catching the eye of even the most vitriolic pundits.

The only minor negative is our capacity, we really need to develop the city stand and increase the capacity to 30,000 which could easily be sold.

Has to be one of the best times to be a Canary, pretty well set for potentially moving on a step and staying up next season. Fingers crossed it’ll be a full capacity for the first home game of the premiership season.

Edited by Indy
  • Like 7

56 minutes ago, Indy said:

A reply I posted on another thread got me thinking just how a continuous improvement process this club has gone through from top to bottom! Credit to our owners on taking a totally new direction back four years ago when we we’re heading for trouble again, I had my doubts on Webber but by god he’s proven to be the best appointment this club has ever made!

The training facilities are revamped with the most technically advanced equipment and set up we’ve ever had. Sport science has really been noticeable.

The youth set up is cat 1 and the envy of many clubs, along with our recruiting has been superb, we have a squad value we could only have dreamed off!

Our youth set up is greatly improved by Neil Adams and his overview and loan set up, meaning when needed the youngsters appear ready to make the step up for us.

We’re about to join the elite league with the potential of another massive cash injection into the club again.

Farke and his management team have total respect of our players, they get the best out of them and we’re playing some of the best football ever and catching the eye of even the most vitriolic pundits.

The only minor negative is our capacity, we really need to develop the city stand and increase the capacity to 30,000 which could easily be sold.

Has to be one of the best times to be a Canary, pretty well set for potentially moving on a step and staying up next season. Fingers crossed it’ll be a full capacity for the first home game of the premiership season.

It really cant be understated what a huge turn around this club has had on and off the pitch which wouldnt have happened without him. 

Back in the early 90s we had a club that combined promising youngsters with players that didn't quite make it at other teams, and beat Bayern Munich whilst going third in the original Premiership season with a cavalier, attacking style of football. Then we gradually moved away from that...

...and in its own way, the recruitment of Webber has brought everything full circle. We play a very appealing brand of football, augmented with faith in youth and with players who didn't always quite make it elsewhere.

For the want of a better phrase, he's given us our club back, and we should all be grateful.

The last four years have been fascinating and amazing in equal measure, the transformation we've been lucky enough to see here is something fans of most other clubs could only dream of.

I keep having to remind myself to enjoy these times while they last because as we know football is always moving and the good times can never last forever. When Farke and Webber decide they want a new challenge and leave us it's going to be gutting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indy said:

Spot on Indy! But let's not forget the man who was the mastermind behind this complete rethink of our structure. Take a bow Ed Balls, who at that time was our (unpaid) chairman. I remember the interview he gave to Radio Norfolk after the sacking of Alex Neil; despite much criticism he announced that there would be no quick replacement, and that the club would take the time necessary to completely rethink its business and footballing model. His first major decision was to appoint a Director of Football, and he chose Webber for that post. He then worked with Webber to make the left-field appointment of Farke as Head Coach. Together they agreed, along with the board, a business model in which the club would financially sustain itself through astute recruitment of emerging foreign talent and a massive investment in our youth academy. The story since has been a remarkable one of unity of purpose resulting in success beyond that which could have been reasonably expected (take a look at the fan message boards of our opponents to see how much City are admired as a paradigm of how to run a club successfully). I know that Ed Balls is not everyone's "cup of tea", no doubt his political affiliations prove too much for some. However, even Tory opponents regarded him as a man of prodigious intellect, possessing an exceptional skill in forensic analysis of any issue he turned his mind to. That he did this for free to put NCFC on its current path to success is something that should never be forgotten nor undervalued.

• Like 4

He is exceptional and I do worry what our future will look like when he leaves. Unless he has an eye on a particularly talented outsider, I would hope Kieran Scott gets the nod to ensure continuity.

Looking back at what has made him so good:

- A positive footballing philosophy - this has been important part of the enjoyment of the past four years and enables us to remain proud of our club, even in defeat.

- Trust and loyalty to Farke - many would have fired their manager after the poor run of form at the end of last season, however Webber hired him for a reason and kept faith. It must be invaluable for a manager to have that.

- Belief in youth - The number of times we could have signed a more experienced head in a position where a talented youngster is coming through. Now we're reaping the benefits - and my word how it has worked. Omobamidele is a perfect case in point - how many were calling for a new centre back last summer? It will be interesting to see what happens with Idah, McCullum, Famewo and Omobamidele next season. 

- Transparency and honesty - Look back through the early interviews from DF and SW and it's like they're fortune tellers. So many times you hear the same old cliches and empty promises about playing good football and promoting youth but never actually doing it. They are remarkably honest and it's so refreshing to see.

- Community - The work that they've done with the Nest is great to see. Following on from the previous point, it's also nice to see them doing interviews with fan groups like the TNC and ACN podcasts. It adds a real personal touch and the interviews are always fascinating.

- Sticking to his guns - A true belief of all of the above. They haven't wavered from a single one. It is so common for a manager to change tactics or formation when things are going wrong. It is so common to panic buy 'experienced pros' in the transfer market. It's so easy to get a new manager when things aren't looking so rosy. Hands up who has called for one of the above in the last four years? Huge respect for this.

What's interesting is that none of the above is groundbreaking. Which fan doesn't want to watch a team full of homegrown players, playing attractive football and being coached by a manager who has been given time to 'put his finger prints' on his team. It's just a shame that modern day football is a pressure cooker that forces clubs to make irrational, short term decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

He is exceptional and I do worry what our future will look like when he leaves. Unless he has an eye on a particularly talented outsider, I would hope Kieran Scott gets the nod to ensure continuity.

Looking back at what has made him so good:

- A positive footballing philosophy - this has been important part of the enjoyment of the past four years and enables us to remain proud of our club, even in defeat.

- Trust and loyalty to Farke - many would have fired their manager after the poor run of form at the end of last season, however Webber hired him for a reason and kept faith. It must be invaluable for a manager to have that.

- Belief in youth - The number of times we could have signed a more experienced head in a position where a talented youngster is coming through. Now we're reaping the benefits - and my word how it has worked. Omobamidele is a perfect case in point - how many were calling for a new centre back last summer? It will be interesting to see what happens with Idah, McCullum, Famewo and Omobamidele next season. 

- Transparency and honesty - Look back through the early interviews from DF and SW and it's like they're fortune tellers. So many times you hear the same old cliches and empty promises about playing good football and promoting youth but never actually doing it. They are remarkably honest and it's so refreshing to see.

- Community - The work that they've done with the Nest is great to see. Following on from the previous point, it's also nice to see them doing interviews with fan groups like the TNC and ACN podcasts. It adds a real personal touch and the interviews are always fascinating.

- Sticking to his guns - A true belief of all of the above. They haven't wavered from a single one. It is so common for a manager to change tactics or formation when things are going wrong. It is so common to panic buy 'experienced pros' in the transfer market. It's so easy to get a new manager when things aren't looking so rosy. Hands up who has called for one of the above in the last four years? Huge respect for this.

What's interesting is that none of the above is groundbreaking. Which fan doesn't want to watch a team full of homegrown players, playing attractive football and being coached by a manager who has been given time to 'put his finger prints' on his team. It's just a shame that modern day football is a pressure cooker that forces clubs to make irrational, short term decisions.

Where to start with this? A brilliant post from start to finish.

I would be very surprised if Kieran Scott doesn't get the gig when Webber inevitably moves on to bigger and better things.

If you've not already heard this, it gives me confidence that we're putting our eggs in the right basket: 

Listening to Russell Martin talking on Sky when he was a studio pundit for the Huddersfield game, he seems to be the perfect fit to replace Farke (although obviously I'd give Farke a lifetime contract). He talked so passionately about the way we play and what we've achieved, about our academy model, and looking at MK Dons' possession statistics this season it sounds like he's cut from a very similar tactical cloth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Where to start with this? A brilliant post from start to finish.

I would be very surprised if Kieran Scott doesn't get the gig when Webber inevitably moves on to bigger and better things.

If you've not already heard this, it gives me confidence that we're putting our eggs in the right basket: 

Listening to Russell Martin talking on Sky when he was a studio pundit for the Huddersfield game, he seems to be the perfect fit to replace Farke (although obviously I'd give Farke a lifetime contract). He talked so passionately about the way we play and what we've achieved, about our academy model, and looking at MK Dons' possession statistics this season it sounds like he's cut from a very similar tactical cloth.

Fingers crossed on Kieran Scott. I can only imagine he's been doing more interviews recently so that he gets experience doing more media stuff and the fans get to know him a bit in preparation for taking over. I don't think I know of another scout that's been given so much exposure at any other club.

I thought about the prospect of Russell Martin being NCFC manager recently. I would love him to take over eventually but I think he needs a few more years of experience before he comes here. Let him (hopefully) succeed with MK Dons, test himself at another club and then come here. That would be more similar to Farke's experiences at Lippstadt and B Dortmund II before joining us. This makes even more sense if we're aspiring to stay in the PL next season.