Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Swansea take a stand against online abuse

What does not posting on social media for 7 days actually achieve? 

the social media platforms are the ones who need to do more, and simply ban the perpetrators, after reporting details to the authorities if applicable.

Social media platforms only survive if they have enough people to advertise to.... they need the advertising money to survive. If everyone stopped for a week as a protest, they'd lose a weeks advertising money. They need to be doing more to stop abuse. They are not.

No one should be allowed on social media without proving who you are ... it should be like opening a bank account. At the moment, people get banned and then just open a new account. Not acceptable in the slightest.

• Like 1

I wish the Norwich City FB page would f-u-c-k-i-n-g delete all those spam posts re. dodgy streams, dodgy investments, and other dodgy hoo-hah.

Why stop at a week, make it a month and engage as many clubs as possible in it.

Edited by TIL 1010

20 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I wish the Norwich City FB page would f-u-c-k-i-n-g delete all those spam posts re. dodgy streams, dodgy investments, and other dodgy hoo-hah.

Problem is the second you ban the accounts posting them the bots just make new accounts.

Twitter is a cesspit - it gives validation to people who aren't worthy of a platform, you can tweet fake news, abuse and hateful content and get thousands of clicks. Before its existence, the lonely losers that use the platform to abuse people could only shout at the TV in their parents spare bedroom. If I were a coach, i'd tell my players to delete it, never use Twitter again, the negatives far outweigh any benefits. 

Edited by Wardogz
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

the social media platforms are the ones who need to do more, and simply ban the perpetrators, after reporting details to the authorities if applicable.

It’s got us talking & thinking. This thread & numerous others would not exist if they hadn’t done it. It raises wider awareness, takes a stand. That’s half the battle when it comes to issues and social persuasion 

14 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

It’s got us talking & thinking. This thread & numerous others would not exist if they hadn’t done it. It raises wider awareness, takes a stand. That’s half the battle when it comes to issues and social persuasion 

Spot on! And perhaps by "inconveniencing" all the fans of a club in this way it perhaps raises the issue that all the fans of a club have a role in doing their little bit to call out the vile racists that post this stuff. 

53 minutes ago, Wardogz said:

Twitter is a cesspit - it gives validation to people who aren't worthy of a platform, you can tweet fake news, abuse and hateful content and get thousands of clicks. Before its existence, the lonely losers that use the platform to abuse people could only shout at the TV in their parents spare bedroom. If I were a coach, i'd tell my players to delete it, never use Twitter again, the negatives far outweigh any benefits. 

Absolutely agree Wardogz and is why i refer to it as Twatter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Exactly, a championship club doing something like that is barely a dip in the pool, if every football club in the UK did it, maybe it would.

19 minutes ago, AJ said:

Exactly, a championship club doing something like that is barely a dip in the pool, if every football club in the UK did it, maybe it would.

Yet it is still making the front page of major news websites

No number of standard virtuous press releases would have done that

The disgusting racism has been covered well by legends like Henry and Ian Wright, there's no excuse for it ever. But I also wanted to add something about the impact social media hate has on young players like Cantwell.

He gets a lot of abuse on social media and it's an absolute disgrace. He's a young lad who's worked hard, improved his abilities hugely and been instrumental in our success.  

This season is particularly tough for young lads like Todd who have grown up in the social media era. They don't know any different and in empty stadiums, the only fan reaction they see is on social media, they're missing out on the adulation they'd normally get in the stadium, the adulation they deserve. So who can blame Todd if he occasionally lashes out at pathetic online cowardly trolls.

I hope the lads get a huge parade in front of the fans in the City, they've given us something to smile about in lockdown.

5 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Agreed

Birmingham and Rangers are doing the same as Swansea. Hopefully this is just the start

2 hours ago, Wardogz said:

But I also wanted to add something about the impact social media hate has on young players like Cantwell.

I agree with this and the wider point with Swansea's action, but just to go back to the above selective quote of Wardogz post, I would like to point out that poster(s) on this forum have indulged in some pretty disgusting abuse of "our" Todd. It is any public access platform , I really don't get what people get out of it? What goes on in their heads?

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Stopping VPN usage may help. So many abusers and cyber criminals use dodgy ones to hide their activity.

But you can genuinely use a VPN to hide your connection from criminal activity / hackers too - Its a no win KG.  

6 hours ago, Greavsy said:

You've pretty much answered your own question as to what it achieves.

If the social media platforms lose several big accounts such as football clubs with millions of followers between them, even temporarily, they will lose followers and advertising revenue. That may then spark them action and they may indeed 'do more'.

I hope more follow suit.

Racism is unfortunately here and is unlikely to go ever, it's inbred with some, it's like a religion to others and whilst children learn from their racist parents, friends etc there will always be racists in the world.

All social media has done is to give the spinless gutless ones a forum to say what they like with little or no consequences.

I had a good mate when I was younger who was racially abused a bit an he and I got in to a few scuffles together because I would defend him both verbally and physically, but to me he was just my mate and the colour of his skin made no difference to me.

Would be interesting if we joined in, considering its highly likely we'll secure promtion within the next 7 days. 

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

But you can genuinely use a VPN to hide your connection from criminal activity / hackers too - Its a no win KG.  

But its likely the abusers are using a dodgy VPN.

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

But its likely the abusers are using a dodgy VPN.

A VPN is a VPN surely?! 

2 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

A VPN is a VPN surely?! 

Apparently not. Some VPN providers are actually monitoring rather than protecting and in that way can hack away while you believe you are incognito.

Obviously there are just some complete boneheads who enjoy what they are doing and will not stop. To call them just racist detracts away from their sheer enjoyment of upsetting someone in anonymity.

Its like Spam. Why don't they charge for emails. Surely 10p an email wouldn't  break the bank but might stop the spammers.

Didnt realise that, and totally agree - however they will always find a way around it. unfortunately. 

I have said for years the only way to get the social media to do anything is to hit them in the pocket. I still can't believe people who get abuse stay on these platforms. If you look at the money people like Ronaldo and Messi make from social media you can maybe understand. It has to be everyone leaving at the same time. If the money the big stars make on social media is true then how much do the sites themselves make? Collective power. The best way I can put it is if I went in a pub and got abuse and the landlord didn't protect me I would never go back. Leave on mass and they will start sorting out the problems. 

Its society's problem not football's problem.

We have had 4 years of Trump legitimising racist comments from a position of power and Johnson and Co are little better. If they were held to account for their comments in a court of law, as they should be, then we might start winning the battle against racists.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Would be interesting if we joined in, considering its highly likely we'll secure promtion within the next 7 days. 

For exactly that reason I'd imagine they probably aren't keen on the idea.

Fortunately I haven't seen or heard of any racial abuse of our players lately, unfortunately it's probably only a matter of time - especially if we make it into the limelight of the Premier League. Social Media companies definitely have the ability to do more to detect these things and block them from being posted in the first place, the government needs to take a more forceful approach on making them do it