Uncle Fred

Ownership - it’s time for the debate

Credit to Delia she has once again got us back into the premier league.

However we continue not to have a pot to p  in so again it’s going to be yet another miserable season of getting stuffed most weekends and having the usual relegation battle.

now surely is the time for her to sell up get some new investment into the club and help us move forward.

this is as far as Delia’s ownership can take us but I would love us to be challenging for a top 6 finish in the premier league.

so folks I put forward the motion of Delia out stinking rich Chinese Billionaire in 

6 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

However we continue not to have a pot to p  in so again it’s going to be yet another miserable season of getting stuffed most weekends and having the usual relegation battle.

now surely is the time for her to sell up get some new investment into the club and help us move forward.

this is as far as Delia’s ownership can take us but I would love us to be challenging for a top 6 finish in the premier league.

so folks I put forward the motion of Delia out stinking rich Chinese Billionaire in 

She won't sell but if there ever was a time to sell surely it's now.

No debt, players worth millions, stadium and training facilities are modern and we're in the PL.

With heavy heart I have to agree. I suspect emi and max will be sold - leaving us needing a big spend to secure our status in the prem. 

last time we had the skill but were totally out muscled by lower half teams like palace. McClean et al looked like boys against men in the middle of the park.

We'll never progress to a level we deserve to be under Delia & co. By that I mean a solid Premiership outfit. I just dont believe the cash will ever be available. But you appreciate the real love for the club they have and it's hard to find a caring buyer nowadays

• Like 1

What can be said that hasn't already been said before?

Delia is and has been a great owner for us, saved us and has taken us to be (certainly in the last ten or so years) a top 26 team.

Great point above that now would seem best time to sell (or rather us being the most attractive we have been) in terms of talent already here, no debts, great management structure pitch side and board level. Great player and academy as well! Again, hats off to the delia et al.

I can see why people love her, and obviously there are plenty of cases where the rich owner comes.in and it doesn't work (and that's awful to think all we now have, how proud we.are of our team the way we play and recruit and the way that there is this connection between fans and ncfc could be lost if we had some get rich quick fool in Mike Ashley style or Tony what's his name formerly of villa or an Ellis short style billionaire) but, ultimately I think she has found her level as taken us as far as she can, with the finances available to her without going in debt!

The way I see it, she has three choices. To get us to be solid in the premier League she either needs to accept that we will go in debt and spend money to make money (in the safe knowledge in my opinion, that if it all goes wrong Fulham style, the assets are there ie. Aaron's, Cantwell and Emi) 

2. Accept she has taken us as far has her pockets can go! Seek serious investment or sell outright. My argument to this one is better the devil you know. We aren't in the boat of Ipswich where we hate the owner so why risk it totally? Yes I get to get to the next level, but we are never to be a man city, so shall we just enjoy the ride of getting to the premier League, rather than being in it. Not my belief totally but a popular one amongst fans 

3. Keep it how it is. Say we aim and spend like a top 26 club and that's what we are. Trouble is, players that are good enough for that get bored and will move on, and it's a tough gig to keep replacing them. Same with the dof and manager. And let's be fair, not every side bounces back.

To be clear, I have been critical of Delia and the boards reservations to not go for it (atleast just a bit) last time in the premier League. However, they have done well since bringing in giannoulis and Gibson  for 7-9m a piece, as well as 5m ish on Hugill. By Norwich standards, that's spending some, especially by being in the champ and covid (I accept we sold huge assets - although should of got more for jamal but I always moan in that) I hope that we go into the summer window with a good battle chest for farke, I think it will be likely around 20m, but I'd love to see him get 50/60m. He is the right man for sure. 

19 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

With heavy heart I have to agree. I suspect emi and max will be sold - leaving us needing a big spend to secure our status in the prem. 

last time we had the skill but were totally out muscled by lower half teams like palace. McClean et al looked like boys against men in the middle of the park.

McLean has improved though. And I was anti Kenny until like November this year! And he and the rest of the side have become far more streetwise (by means of knowing how to win free kicks or when to go down, every week we have mastered that, Hanley Arrons and Todd especially) which was so sorely lacking against teams like west ham.

I think skipp and Sorenson are huge step ups for us.

Here's an idea: if you want to support a club owned by billionaires who pay ludicrous transfer fees and wages, why don't you bore off and support Man City (or just about any established Premier League club).

I'm immensely proud to support a self-sufficient club who buck the trend. I'd be pretty devastated if we started spaffing money up the wall when we've worked so hard to recover from the last time we tried that.

We're the envy of most clubs outside the Premier League and there are a fair few Championship clubs with far richer owners who would gladly trade places with us. We're arguably one of the best run clubs in the country. I can't fathom why some people don't understand or appreciate that.

Edited by Petriix
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Petriix said:

Here's an idea: if you want to support a club owned by billionaires who pay ludicrous transfer fees and wages, why don't you bore off and support Man City (or just about any established Premier League club).

I'm immensely proud to support a self-sufficient club who buck the trend. I'd be pretty devastated if we started spaffing money up the wall when we've worked so hard to recover from the last time we tried that.

We're the envy of most clubs outside the Premier League and there are a fair few Championship clubs with far richer owners who would gladly trade places with us. We're arguably one of the best run clubs in the country. I can fathom why some people don't understand or appreciate that.

I think you're overreacting a tad here. Why would any of us go and support another team, it's not about that. It's about being ambitious and wanting our club to compete at the highest level. For that to even happen, we would need additional investment or a new owner. If for example and suitable well vetted new owner came forward that might even be able to persuade our younger stars to stay put with lucrative contracts and then we could add 3-5 seriously good players, which would no doubt thrust us into being mid / upper premier league team. I for one admire the strategy in place and with our finances I understand why it's done, however I don't really want to see us be a yo yo club for the next ten years without showing any real ambition to push on. Sometimes you need to take a bit of a gamble even if it's on a more cautious approach.

46 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

And you were doing so well.... 

2 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

And you were doing so well.... 

I started the thread very positively 

35 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

We'll never progress to a level we deserve to be under Delia & co. By that I mean a solid Premiership outfit. I just dont believe the cash will ever be available. But you appreciate the real love for the club they have and it's hard to find a caring buyer nowadays

Name a couple of these "solid Premiership" teams that we could aspire to be like?

I understand the desire of those who think that money is the answer, but what I don't understand is why they can't see that the path we are on with the present policy is working to the extent that we are building resources as we are going along and making the club stronger and stronger - all without new investment.   

Look at the value of the squad now compared to four years ago and tell me we are not on a good path.  We are building - it is working.  Also, the squad and the football it is playing is better than last time we went up, not shipping goals, with Farkeball clearly at it's best level so far.  So, improving finances, improving and developing players - with more clearly going to come through - and a potentially stronger PL season next season - and if you are not optimistic after watching the kind of football we can play after the last match, you never will be.

It's like people say "Why can't we be a rich club"........well there are an awful lot of people from all sorts of clubs, incuding rich ones who look at Norwich and say - "Why can't we be like Norwich"

• Like 11

I think we need to let next season play out. I'll be really disappointed if we go back up and do the exact same thing we did last time but I do feel this squad is maybe two or three signings away from being able to give staying up a really good shot.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Name a couple of these "solid Premiership" teams that we could aspire to be like?

You can see the Premier League table for yourself. A number of established mid premier league teams out there now. You might not like the names, nor would you want to play like them, but theyre established. Something we have failed to achieve yet.

We're about to spend over £8.5M apiece on 2 defenders in the middle of a financially crippling global pandemic, one of them a fully fledged international, which was unfathomable a few seasons ago where we had to sell Maddison and the Murphy's to stay afloat.

I'd say we aren't doing too badly at all

Edited by AJ
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, AJ said:

We're about to spend over £8.5M apiece on 2 defenders in the middle of a financially crippling global pandemic, one of them a fully fledged international, which was unfathomable a few seasons ago where we had to sell Maddison and the Murphy's to stay afloat.

Don’t forget Lewis and Godfrey. 

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t forget Lewis and Godfrey. 

We didn't sell Lewis and Godfrey to stay afloat though, although we did get good money for them. Look how well it has been reinvested to be fair, I don't think anyone expected us to be as good as we have been this season although I'm sure we'd all have been hoping we'd be in the fight

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

I enjoy the way these figures creep up.

The reported figures were £8m for Gibson and 7m euros for Dimi (so about £6m).

4 minutes ago, Petriix said:

We're the envy of most clubs outside the Premier League and there are a fair few Championship clubs with far richer owners who would gladly trade places with us. We're arguably one of the best run clubs in the country. I can't fathom why some people don't understand or appreciate that.

Spot on Petriix!

Remember that lot down the road waving their notes in the air, joyous at the news of their new billionaire owner? That went well didn't it? And the same goes for any number of "great" clubs languishing in the lower leagues having been taken over by wealthy asset-stripping dilettantes promising success but delivering debt and failure.

The financial state of English football clubs has long been precarious, and post covid will be tipping into calamatous. Norwich City's "self-funding" model is the one shining light in this increasingly murky world. It is a model that is completely transparent, and guarantees our future survival; something I value far more than a reckless gamble on foreign money that is extremely unlikely to pay off. Again, compare that lot down the road; they have just announced new owners, but none of their fans have a clue about who their new owners really are, or what their real intentions are. It may go well for them, equally (more likely) it may go very badly. Why would any true fan want to take such a risk with the very survival of their club. 

Sadly, the near future suggests that many clubs will go bust unless they are bailed out by their bigger elite brothers (I wouldn't hold my breath pending that possibility). Norwich City's self-funding model provides the ONLY genuine prospect for a football club to ensure its long-term future remains within its own control, rather than be subject to the whim of some wealthy chancer. We should praise Delia to the the heavens for putting the club's survival above any temptation to make multi-millions selling off to one of those chancers. 

If your only interest in football is winning at all costs then follow Petriix's advice and change your allegiance to Man City or Liverpool. Me, I will be sticking to my local club that I have supported ever since I became conscious of its existence, just like millions of fans up and down the country who support their special team often with not the slightest prospect of any glory whatsoever. I very much doubt I shall ever see my club get close to lifting the premier league title (So much has irrevocably changed since '92-'93), but boy am I happy and proud to be supporting a team that does things the right way, and brings us seasons like the one we are currently experiencing. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Well I’m glad there had been some level headed replies to this (what has to be a wind up) of a thread. 

We are currently enjoying what will most probably be our most successful season ever and still “we need investment to kick on”??? We are going in the right direction under our current owners, who are also die hard fans. But that isn’t enough for you??

If you aren’t happy now, with I can only imagine about half the football pyramid saying “why can’t we be Norwich”, then this club and/or sport simply aren’t for you. 

• Like 1

Let’s count ourselves lucky that we have come through one of the worst things in history (Covid), with a football club that is still financially sound and a team that will win the Championship.

Im sure we would all love to go back to the days of the early/mid 90’s when we were competing with and beating the best in England (and Europe) but unfortunately that ship has sailed due to the amount of money and greed now in the game.

Yes we could be lucky and secure a very rich owner (a la Man City or even Leicester) but we could also end up like Bolton, Wigan or even them lot down the road.

Yes, I would love us to be champions of England but I would rather have our club stay afloat and have a decent team to be able to go and watch in 5 years time.

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

How dare anyone have an opinion that differs yours!

I like our model.  It's a model we can be successful with.  You just look at Newcastle and Sunderland, big clubs with wealthy owners, heavily over spent year after year and are no better than us and in Sunderland's case a lot worse than us.  Ditto Portsmouth, Bolton, Wigan.  Even Villa came within a whisker of not making it to the PL in the season they got promoted and a VAR decision away from being relegated last season (vs Sheff Utd ball over line incident).  Had that of happened they would be in serious financial trouble now.  

Bournemouth, if they don't go up are going to be in trouble and there are many clubs that are poorly run, within a whisker of things going bad whereas we have no real debt, an academy to die for and a scouting network which gets it right more often than not.

If we had billionaire owners, is a player going to come to us or a team in or near London?  It's our age old problem.  So rather than trying to compete in an arena we're not comfortable why not stick to what we're good at and has worked since the year dot.  Buy good young players off the lower leagues/abroad and develop our own.  As we become more successful we will be able to hang onto more and more players especially if we can maintain PL status, but until then I am happy with our progression, our wage structure, our objectives.

Stick to what we're good at and don't sell out is my message.

• Like 3

I think this comes down to are you happy being a yo yo club or want to be a permanent fixture in the premier league. My view is there is zero chance of long term membership of the premier league  happening under the current model 

I am not thinking the short term which we can all agree has been a fabulous season but looking long term 

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Fancy seeing you here

• Haha 3

I can totally understand why Waveney etc want the stinking rich billionaire.

The only problem is that I would guess Webber and Farke might not be quite so delighted... and there’s no way on earth I’d swap them over any new prospective owner that is highly unlikely to let Stuart and Daniel effectively run the show.

Personally, I’m very happy with what we’ve got, it’s far more satisfying and gratifying seeing this model build success than just a simple matter of ‘we can buy who we want’ - and let’s not forget, the strike rate for success with these stinking rich owners in English, and probably World, football is not exactly great. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

You can see the Premier League table for yourself. A number of established mid premier league teams out there now. You might not like the names, nor would you want to play like them, but theyre established. Something we have failed to achieve yet.

OK, since you won't give an example or two to back up your argument, I'll have a go, and when I show you're talking BS, don't reply that I chose the wrong one.

If you ignore the big six plus Everton, since they all have financial resources and an established history we will never have, who are you left with?

Leicester.

That is it.

There are no other "established" clubs. And even Leicester have no divine right to stay where they are - one poor managerial choice and it could fall apart. All the rest are either having a *temporary* good run, or in serious danger of going down, just like the very long list I could recite of former "established" clubs that are now languishing in the Championship or even lower.

So your post is basically " Why aren't we Leicester?"

Nuff said.

• Like 1

Marcus Evans is now looking for a club!

He'd fit all of your Delia-Outers criteria.

You could even class him as local too.

And he's far richer than Delia

He even has experience owning a football club. So he must know more than Delia and hubby, right?!

Successful business owner, exactly what we need! Not THE COOK AND HER COHORTS.

Sounds perfect, right?

• Like 3
  • Haha 6