TIL 1010

Sorry But Another Scum Thread.

I particularly liked this one:

"Imagine sitting down with your grandchildren in your old age and a lifetime of footballing memories comes down to a single goal in Germany and losing to Inter Milan. It would be horrible."

Imagine sitting down with your grandchildren in your old age and a lifetime of footballing memories comes down to relegation to league one and drawing 0-0 with bottom club Rochdale without a single shot on target. Ah! great days, great days!

Their problem is that they always revert to type and harp on about their past. They'd give their right nut for the last 10+ years we've had if it had been on offer, as would a host of other clubs at champs, league one level.

I liked the post about how they are now "fookin loaded"

Now where have I heard that before🤔

"They have had so many opportunities to establish themselves in the PL but blow it everytime. No doubt they will do the same next season. In all this time, all they have to brag about is a flukey will over Man City. "

or

BBC Sport - Football - In Pictures: Norwich City 0-2 Carlisle United

2009/2010

Club History - Norwich City

2014/15

See the Sky Bet Championship trophy at the Royal Norfolk Show! - News -  Norwich City

2018/19

See the Sky Bet Championship trophy at the Royal Norfolk Show! - News -  Norwich City

2020/21

Teemu Pukki on winning the title and the Golden Boot - News - Norwich City

oh dear, poor us 😆

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I particularly liked this one:

"Imagine sitting down with your grandchildren in your old age and a lifetime of footballing memories comes down to a single goal in Germany and losing to Inter Milan. It would be horrible."

Imagine sitting down with your grandchildren in your old age and a lifetime of footballing memories comes down to relegation to league one and drawing 0-0 with bottom club Rochdale without a single shot on target. Ah! great days, great days!

This is the really odd thing about all their rhetoric. If you're 39 or younger and an Ipswich fan, you'll have only experienced one competition win in your lifetime (coincidentally the same competition I'm about to see us win for the third time in my lifetime)

They aren't even contenders in the league they're in. I don't know how any of them maintain the sense of entitlement through the generations.

• Like 1

This comment made me smile. 

I complemented them on last night's result, but as usual the Nodge mentality: chip on shoulder, inferiority complex.
Let's face it, form is temporary. Class is permanent.

totally agree, class is permanent - and they don't have any! 

Brilliant. The mickey taking is what its all about on a forum.

Of course they are up at the moment but once they find Gordon Gecko is the new owner, they might end up having mickey taking with Linnets supporters instead of us.

And lets face it, you can only win what you are in. So good luck to them in the Papa Johns next season when they come up against our under 21s.

here they are when last in the top flight

their away fans setting off 'oop north'

Charabanc - day out | Stoney Middleton Heritage

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

This is the really odd thing about all their rhetoric. If you're 39 or younger and an Ipswich fan, you'll have only experienced one competition win in your lifetime (coincidentally the same competition I'm about to see us win for the third time in my lifetime)

They aren't even contenders in the league they're in. I don't know how any of them maintain the sense of entitlement through the generations.

When I started going to games the club with the "glorious history" 40 years before was Huddersfield. 

What we saw from them last night was the binners future....

• Like 1

I think its quite amusing they think we're so obsessed with them, todays news peaked my interest as a football fan nothing more.  I've long since considered them being anything close to a rival, I have no idea where they are in the league, and only note their scores if mentioned on here or I've put their game in an acca.

On FB many of my friends are of course City fans, I can't recall any of them even mentioning Ipswich for a long time, yet my Ipswich supporting mate is absolutely obsessed with us, he keeps trying (and failing) to bait us even though I've told him I've long since stopped paying attention to his club.   There's also a bloke, weird looking creature by the name of Andy Cousens (looks like the Gallaghers brother that they don't talk about), who is absolutely obsessed with every Norwich related post going on the MOTD page, Sky page, TalkSport page etc.   He rather bizzarely questioned me posting on a Norwich related post last night then when I totally made him look a tool he blocked me 🤣

7 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

They think we’re obsessed about them but don’t realise we’re laughing at them 

Maybe you should post 'Hilarious' on TWTD just to make sure they're up to speed! 

The irony is that some people on here genuinely are obsessed with Ipswich. It's a little embarrassing. I personally miss the derbies and hope that we can eventually play them again in the premier league. But while we're out of their league, I won't be paying them any attention.

9 minutes ago, Petriix said:

The irony is that some people on here genuinely are obsessed with Ipswich. It's a little embarrassing. I personally miss the derbies and hope that we can eventually play them again in the premier league. But while we're out of their league, I won't be paying them any attention.

Just another team, who happen to be located near(ish) us, nothing else. 

Certainly no threat currently. 

They owe everything they can harp on about to essentially two managers. Ramsey and Robson. Well, bar that flirt with the premier league in the 2000's.

Worth noting that Robson left Ipswich in 1982. The year I was born.

That's the reality here. In the Premier League era they had a season of success in the Premier League. One season. One season in the Europa League under Burley. Yet after being relegated with us back in the mid 90's with the Premier League's heaviest defeat to their name.

One promotion in that time under Burley via the play-offs.

In the same period, Norwich have had four promotions to the premier league (Worthington, Lambert, Neil and Farke) and a total of 6 seasons of premier league football. Not to mention Ipswich have now been in the league below Norwich for the past two seasons with it all but inevitable that it will be three seasons even if they do make the play-offs. For one of those seasons we were two leagues apart to our better.

Great, they did something great with managers cutting their teeth and had great success with them. 40+ years ago.

As sad as it may seem, when I first went to games on my own as a teenager in the 90's I remember the 59'ers coming out onto the pitch and being clapped. 40 years at that point. To remember those games at that time in the late 1990's. You'd have to have been at least 5 at the time I would say.

That's the reality. Only Ipswich fans over the age of 45 are going to have a recollection of that period of success. Older if you go back further. It's perhaps a bit sad to think like that, but it's the reality. As a teen in the late 1990's I knew and understood the achievement of the 59'ers but I wasn't connected to them in the same way those who could actually remember them playing were. Almost like a mythological story you're told as a kid.

Almost easier to see and understand now, when some of my childhood City heroes are now not that far away from the same span of time having passed.

Living in the past is never healthy. You can't gloat about something you didn't even exist for. 

"Obsssession" seems to be a rather overmuch used word.

If it makes them feel more significant than they are then fair enough. I just enjoy a gloat.

This new takeover seems to be built on sand. I make no sense of it, especially from a financial (profit making) point of view. Words are cheap. £40m for that loss-making relic is expensive

They might make it back to the Chumps sooner rather than later but will then be up against a cliff face. Cook talks a good game and seems to like himself  but nothing ever comes off in that footballing graveyard these days (decades.)

The bottom line is that today's events have been yet another excuse for a history-fest. That's what they do best.

Edited by BroadstairsR