On 09/04/2021 at 17:59, Herman said:

From what I have heard, Sixpack would be more suited for the NCFC fakebook page. 

Last minute against Millwall - ball is played to Dowell without a Millwall player close to him - his legs suddenly turned to jelly allowing Jed Wallace to take the ball from him. Good thing it was a sticky pitch or Wallace would have scored. I deal in facts with my argument not fake ! 

Dowell, like McClean, Hugill, Rupp, Stiepermann, may be Placheta and even Argos and possibly Hanley and one or two others are inbetweenies (inbetweeners.)

ie. Excellent in the Chumps, decent when playing most teams on the Premier League stage.

City are destined to have a few of this calibre in any starting eleven next season. Last time around there were too many ... and selective injuries did not help.

This time around we need strengthen with players above this standard in certain areas. Recruitment is ace, expenditure remains. by necessity, somewhat frugal, but not as before. 

Of our current team Krul, Aarons, Gianoullis (?) Skipp, Gibson, Cantwell, Buendia and Pukki attain the mark. I like what I've seen of Sorensen and Josh Martin. Hope lies there. 

It will be upto Webber to plug the gaps. Some gaps will remain of necessity.

Some youngsters might blossom sufficiently. There's usually a pleasant surprise from this quarter.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Last minute against Millwall - ball is played to Dowell without a Millwall player close to him - his legs suddenly turned to jelly allowing Jed Wallace to take the ball from him. Good thing it was a sticky pitch or Wallace would have scored. I deal in facts with my argument not fake ! 

Official Pinkun idiot. 

• Like 2

I wish I was as bad as Dowell, he looks like a big strong technically handy player.  Which I believe is exactly what we need to compete in the premier league.

For me early days. Needs to get in the game more and lacks a bit of intensity.  For the moment do not see him as a Premiership Player. Fair to say it was a great free kick.

32 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Dowell our best performer so far this afternoon. 

Great first half, but very poor since half time. Doesn't seem to work hard when we don't have the ball. A bit enigmatic with some genuine quality but not quite the complete package.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Won us three points today

2 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Official Pinkun idiot. 

That's quite a statement. He's definitely on the shortlist, but I don't think he's quite been selected when the field is so rich?

• Haha 1

Played very well in the first half but intensity and focus dropped off in second half. So is good in parts and the more minutes he gets the better those parts are. Best way to describe him is a work in progress that doesn't quite last the full ninety minutes at the present time. But there is enough there to suggest he is going to improve and i'm sure he will do over the remaining games. He will be one of our squad players next season.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Good first half. Legs seemed to go after half time.

I would have the first half Dowell but certainly not the second half one. Very proactive in the first half and only occasionally reactive in the second. Is he easily pleased with himself or does he have some concentration problems?

1 minute ago, Yellow Wal said:

I would have the first half Dowell but certainly not the second half one. Very proactive in the first half and only occasionally reactive in the second. Is he easily pleased with himself or does he have some concentration problems?

Whatever it is I am sure Farke will put him on the right road 👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Great first half, but very poor since half time. Doesn't seem to work hard when we don't have the ball. A bit enigmatic with some genuine quality but not quite the complete package.

Yep agree. Emi and Todd always come searching for the ball. I don't think we saw that from KD in the second half and it seemed to bypass him a bit.

Without a doubt, Farke will be working with him next week and we should see him become more consistent - hopefully in time for August!

Remember Cantwell in the last season we went up. He was certainly not a guaranteed starter, and could often look a bit fragile and lacking in energy. One short pre-season later and he was transformed into a genuine premier league talent full of energy, running, and skill. Let's hope Farke gets to work and develops Dowell's undoubted talents in a similar way (ditto for Placheta). If any one can Farke can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

To be fair, Stiepermann wasn't particularly any better.

That's hardly a suprise

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

Remember Cantwell in the last season we went up. He was certainly not a guaranteed starter, and could often look a bit fragile and lacking in energy. One short pre-season later and he was transformed into a genuine premier league talent full of energy, running, and skill. Let's hope Farke gets to work and develops Dowell's undoubted talents in a similar way (ditto for Placheta). If any one can Farke can.

He came in for Emi at the end of that season, think it was when Emi had got a suspension. Got a bit of stick for not being as good as Buendia 🤣. I wouldnt have expected for him to take to the premier league as well as he did.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Six Pack said:

Perhaps you would like to name which of our players this season has not made mistakes. If you can find one, that would be great as he would be worth around £200 million plus. Dowell has now scored 3 goals in 5 games. His free kick today was probably beyond even Vrancic's capability (To get the ball over the wall from 20 yards into the top corner with that amount of power was truly remarkable). Yes he has areas requiring definite improvement, but he also possesses game winning talents as he proved today. Undoubtedly the coaching and fitness team will be working hard with him over the summer, and in a few months we'll find out whether that work pays off with a place in the squad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

Perhaps you would like to name which of our players this season has not made mistakes. If you can find one, that would be great as he would be worth around £200 million plus. Dowell has now scored 3 goals in 5 games. His free kick today was probably beyond even Vrancic's capability (To get the ball over the wall from 20 yards into the top corner with that amount of power was truly remarkable). Yes he has areas requiring definite improvement, but he also possesses game winning talents as he proved today. Undoubtedly the coaching and fitness team will be working hard with him over the summer, and in a few months we'll find out whether that work pays off with a place in the squad.

Yes - great goal today ! A lot of superlatives for Handley's performance today but Dowell's goal got us the 3 points. Has a good shot on him - no-ones disputing that.

7 hours ago, Fuzzar said:

Official Pinkun idiot. 

In your 2,700 odd posts on this forum have you actually contributed anything constructive ?! It's always a one line personal attack on other posters - you're a total waste of time on here ! Go on give me your version of what happened to Dowell at Millwall ?

Just another point about Kieran (lack of intensity) Dowell. 

Dowell's brilliant free-kick winner today came after an alert Norwich player had nipped in and stolen the ball as Derby tried to move upfield. This Norwich player then shrugged off a challenge and purposefully drove towards the opposition area and was only stopped when he was cynically pulled back on the edge of the area by Derby's Craig Forsyth who was promptly booked.

Yup - you've guessed it - the Norwich City player in question was none other than Kieran Dowell. 

• Like 1

I have been very skeptical of Dowell previously, but he is slowly starting to win me over. He doesnt seem very fast or athletic. I have gotten frustrated sometimes when he hasnt pressed and defended as aggressively as the front 4 usually does, but maybe he is covering angles intelligently, I havent watched him that close. He doesnt seem capable of dominating games like Cantwell and Buendia. I suppose I should watch him more closely. When he has played he hasnt really caught my eye, not being involved in the game at a very high rate, but that can come down to him not being 100% confident and not being as used to playing together with the other attacking players. I think he has participated more in the games progressively as his run of games has gone on. 

I don't think he will set the world alight, but he has room to grow and is clearly technically gifted. He could probably be a decent #10 for us in the Premier league, but probably not so good that any big clubs will come calling. In conclusion Dowell is a land of contrasts and I cant wait to see him develop further.

On 08/04/2021 at 08:24, Petriix said:

Dowell's biggest problem is that he's playing alongside Buendia and Cantwell. He obviously isn't as good as them, nor could we actually afford to pay the £30M+ it would cost to buy someone of a similar level.

Didn't realise we'd paid £30m each for Cantwell and Buendia. 

How much was Pukki, £20m? 

£10m for Krul wasn't it? 

We buy players with potential and then try and take them to the next level, as do other clubs, trying to find the diamonds amongst the rough. Matt Grimes cost Swansea £1.75m, Josh Dasilva cost Brentford £0.

Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes you just pay about what they are worth.

At this point in time I'd consider it more likely that Dowell will improve than Placheta, but the one who is already obviously a gem of a signing from last summer is Jacob Sorenson. He is the signing of the season, a complete steal. He is 'the one'. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten
  • Like 1