Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

This defence?

Football as we know is “a funny old game”

one of the things that has amazed me this season is our defence. On the last promotion, let’s face it the defence was not great, and very ill prepared for the PL.

So the last close season we managed to sell two of them for around £40m. Two shrewdly got loans, with options to buy, then the defence is far, far better than our last promoted side.

So it is a funny old game, or Mr Webber and Herr Farke are far more brilliant than I thought.

Now our main objective for next year is to get them and our little genius Emi to stay here, as they will all be in great demand!

• Thanks 1

I'd also like to throw Grant Hanley in there. Always seemed like a decent enough defender when he arrived but at the same time could be a bit of a clumsy hoofer. Farke has really improved his confidence and ability on the ball. In the last promotion season I don't remember Zimmerman, Klose or even Godfrey being this comfortable passing it about.

Many Scotland fans groaned as he was recalled to their recent squad, then seemed to be pleasantly surprised when they actually saw him play.

Dimi is a massive step up to the inexperienced Jamal who is now struggling to get game time at Newcastle

Gibson is massively more experienced than Godfrey, far more comfortable on the ball and arguably helps Hanley be a better player too.

Two massive bits of business to compliment what we already had in the side. Dimi especially is starting to fit in very nicely with his attacking flair and good control in tight spaces and he's linking well with Cantwell.

We still need another CB for next season without a doubt, and here's hoping Gibson comes back without any ill effects from his ankle injury. I'm not comfortable with just Zimm (assuming Klose leaving is just a formality now). I'm not so bothered about LB as we have Sorensen and Byram (if he can get fit) to cover whilst we know Dimi will play virtually every week

8 minutes ago, Lewisham Yellow said:

I'd also like to throw Grant Hanley in there. Always seemed like a decent enough defender when he arrived but at the same time could be a bit of a clumsy hoofer. Farke has really improved his confidence and ability on the ball. In the last promotion season I don't remember Zimmerman, Klose or even Godfrey being this comfortable passing it about.

Many Scotland fans groaned as he was recalled to their recent squad, then seemed to be pleasantly surprised when they actually saw him play.

I think that's a huge part of why we are conceding less goals. Even Krul is far better at taking his time on the ball and picking more often than not the best passing option but it's because the 4 in front of him constantly give him options. Hanley and Gibson looked so composed as our central two, and you can add Dimi to that list too, they are all ballers. Even our new youth looks well drilled in being a good passer and making space as a passing option at all times when we've got the ball

You seem to be under the naive impression that 'defence' is only performed by 'defenders'. You can argue about the relative abilities of different players past and present, but the personnel are only one factor.

We are playing a very different system this season with the balance tipped far more towards defence. The simple truth is that the midfield are providing far more protection for the back four than in previous seasons.

That doesn't mean we're particularly more defensive, although we definitely have sacrificed some of our attacking intent. We're just far more disciplined, especially when we lose the ball. We're also being far more difficult to break down once we get ahead in games.

• Like 1

Agree with all remember though this Championship League is miles away from what the above players will experience next season