Sign in to follow this  
rock bus

Special mention for Cantwell last night

I know there are plenty of threads about last night and many reference how good Todd was but no apologies from me for starting a thread specifically about him.

I thought he was simply brilliant last night and at least as good as Buendia.

The little pull back he did, having pushed the ball marginally too far, in the build up to the first goal was sublime. That jinking run to set up Pukki for the goal set him up for the game. He was all over the place and always demanding the ball.

Interesting that post match Farke mentioned the goals all came from great short passing and not blind passes or flicks. I’m sure this was a reference to Cantwell as that’s the reason his game has improved so much. He’s always had the skills and the tricks but now he uses them with intelligence.

He’s a special talent and IF we have to lose Buendia I’d be offering him the contract he deserves and tell him we will build the team around him for next 2 years and then sell him to Liverpool or Man City (or whoever is the best team in the country at that time).

• Like 1

Spot on! Simply fabulous. It's not just the sublime skills but the sheer energy and commitment that gets him all over the pitch causing havoc to his poor bedraggled opponents. That anyone could find grounds for criticism of him is beyond my understanding. Has there ever been a better attacking midfield pairing at City than him and Buendia? Not by a Norfolk country mile.

• Like 1

I was slightly critical of him earlier in the season because he wasn't getting the goals and assists that he should have, at this level. He's now doing that on a consistent basis, so huge credit it to him (and Farke).

If he can now do it on a consistent basis in the PL then he will be 'ready' in my eyes to move to a bigger club. If he moves before fully establishing himself, then he'll be at risk of not fulfilling his potential like Murphy or Pritchard.

Excellent yesterday though.

Thought he was brilliant, Russell Martin was saying how much he’s matured this year, much more end product, seems to have cut out all those flicks, has the ability to to just go past players. Let’s hope he sees his future with us in the Premier

I think Todd expressed himself last night and was quite superb and sublime, confident and looked to be thoroughly enjoying himself......

One in the eye for his detractors......

I'm starting to get it with Todd.

Struggled to see the potential for a complete player last season. Lots of players can do nice tricks and then get tackled etc. Lots of flashes of brilliance but little substance. Thought he would just be another that faded out as I wasn't convinced he had the right mentality to realise the potential. 

He is really starting to pull it together this season and play at a high level consistently. He plays like a member of the team instead of an individual now and he has come on leaps and bounds over the last 12 months and looks a far better and more accomplished player for it. He really has been outstanding all season. He's turning into an exceptional player instead of an inconsistent but talented kid.

Really pleased to have been wrong on this one.

Edited by kick it off

I never had any doubt that he would be integral to any success this season.

He is a unique type of player, I would be hard pushed to name any other Championship player of his ilk.

He has obviously added to his game, but the tricks, feints and step-overs are still there, and long may they remain so.

Fans often mistake confidence for arrogance, and Todd has bucket loads of confidence.

Nobody should be surprised in the slightest by the way Cantwell can and is playing. I’m still staggered that more than 1 person has described him as an average player in the past. I will never get my head around that, I just can’t fathom how people couldn’t or can’t see it. A quieter game does not detract from the immense skill and speed of vision Todd possesses in his locker, and it’s nothing new, he has always had it. The more eagle eyed will spot some ridiculous touches that are so subtle in a passing move, if you blinked you’d miss them. To pull those touches off like he does shows a player that is top drawer in my opinion. His footballing brain is on another level, only the best have that. And he has the grace of a hummingbird delicately extracting nectar from a lily. A serious talent and I enjoy watching every minute he plays for us. 

• Like 1

Brilliant was everywhere as important in chasing back as going forward