Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

A word about Andrew O

I thought he was outstanding last night. I resisted tweeting about it during the game in case I jinxed it! 

A spell out on loan to a good Championship club would be of benefit next season. Maybe half a season and see how he's faring at Christmas and bring him back if needs be. 

32 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Big call. That's a lot to ask of a rookie 18-year-old centre-half. I think he needs a loan next season as nine times out of ten, youngsters will be a bit inconsistent (Aarons seems to be the exception). Famewo can be kept as an emergency if needed, but this lad looks like he needs regular game time.

Completely agree.

AO has been great since coming into the team but you have to consider that we've had near to 70% possession in both games.

Next year will be much more testing and, after last season, I would expect them to bring in an experienced loan CB whilst Famewo and Omobamidele get a full season under their belt elsewhere. Webber won't mess about this time.

I think DF and his staff must take a lot of credit, they have obviously supported him and given him the confidence to just go out and play his naturalism game. Hamlet playing better than ever as well

45 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Anybody else notice that Farke stayed out on the pitch talking him through the game he'd just had, when every other player had finished the hand shakes and walked down the tunnel?

Farke seriously invested in his development and clearly sees him as the next one off the conveyor belt. 

Famewo may feel a bit unlucky as this is likely to push him out of the picture for next season and back out on loan? 

Yes typical DF I thought, looked to us like he was making sure AO was taking on board the lessons he needs to learn and not just basking in the glory of the result 😀

Hard to believe he's only 18, physically I think he's ready but has a lot to learn. Should be okay to cover us for the rest of the season with Hanley coaching him alongside

41 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Big call. That's a lot to ask of a rookie 18-year-old centre-half. I think he needs a loan next season as nine times out of ten, youngsters will be a bit inconsistent (Aarons seems to be the exception). Famewo can be kept as an emergency if needed, but this lad looks like he needs regular game time.

absolutely

he won't learn much sat on the bench all season, and as with Godfrey at Shrewsbury regular football is what is needed

he will bulk out, though Fleming was no brick outhouse

however, we could do with developing the odd forward or two, after Lewis, Godfrey, Aarons and this lad

Some good points on this thread but I'm going to rain on the parade just a little bit.

I didn't think it was necessary for DF to have that ' chat ' with AO in front of the cameras. We'd just won 7-0, AO's just 18 years old and buzzing so he could have cut him a bit of slack.

Maybe a small thing and most people probably won't agree but in my opinion it would have been best discussed in private.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Some good points on this thread but I'm going to rain on the parade just a little bit.

I didn't think it was necessary for DF to have that ' chat ' with AO in front of the cameras. We'd just won 7-0, AO's just 18 years old and buzzing so he could have cut him a bit of slack.

Maybe a small thing and most people probably won't agree but in my opinion it would have been best discussed in private.

Depends what was said, and at the same time if it was something of importance (must have been, for that to happen, I would think) better to get it to AO when the game is fresh in his head.

• Like 1

He’s started well. I think it says a lot that Farke played him ahead of Tettey or Sorensen, it shows he has faith in him. He’s done everything asked of him. Apart from one moment last night when an opponent got past him far too easy he snuffed out a few promising Huddersfield attacks because he read the situation well. Last ditch defending is important but to see a young player read the game so well and stop attacks before they really got going was impressive 

He really does look the part. It is of course easier to come into a team who are top of the league, playing with great confidence and who have a lot of the ball but even so he's done everything asked of him with great composure, looks to read the game well and the biggest compliment I can pay him is I do not worry at all about him playing the rest of the season for us at CB (and i'm always a bit worried about our CBs). Really pleased for him and us as it seems we've found another one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

He really does look the part. It is of course easier to come into a team who are top of the league, playing with great confidence and who have a lot of the ball but even so he's done everything asked of him with great composure, looks to read the game well and the biggest compliment I can pay him is I do not worry at all about him playing the rest of the season for us at CB (and i'm always a bit worried about our CBs). Really pleased for him and us as it seems we've found another one!

This.

29 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

I agree with you. Smacked a bit to me of a "Pep" style stunt from farke who must have known the cameras would pick it up. 

Not too surprised he’s getting his chance now over more experienced options - worth remembering Farke had him in the Premier League squads towards the end of last season. It’s almost as if he wanted him to get that experience ready for 15 months down the line or wotnot. We will have a lot clearer indication by the end of the season I feel but I will not be surprised if he’s in the squad for next season rather on loan, I still expect us to sign another CB though. But no denying it’s clear that he’s a very capable and mature player despite his tender years. Be interesting to see how he fairs against Bournemouth and Watford. He seems to gel better with Timmy K than what Godfrey did too. The yellow and green conveyer belt keeps on rolling 👍

1 hour ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Had we lost or even conceded, I'd agree. That would've looked like a dressing down so wouldn't have done much for Omobamidele's confidence.

In the actual circumstances however, it's clear to all that there wouldn't have been any real criticism of Omobamidele's performance. It was probably an intentional stunt by Farke to keep his feet on the ground, which is something he has always been a big believer of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wouldn't write Zimmermann off just yet, many of us (me included) eating our words about Hanley, who played just 7 times in our last promotion season and is now a lynchpin.

It’s been 2 seasons for Zimmerman though

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

I agree with you. Smacked a bit to me of a "Pep" style stunt from farke who must have known the cameras would pick it up. 

AO might have started that conversation though? 

In any case, talking about things immediately afterwards can be a big benefit instead of having a rest day and not catching up until Thursday when things have slipped out of the minds. I fully saw this as Farke entrusting AO and I've no doubt we will see him play alongside Hanley for the remainder of the season

11 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

It’s been 2 seasons for Zimmerman though

Not sure that’s quite accurate. On the whole we looked far more assured at the back last season when he partnered Hanley for that spell of games in the spring. Ben Godfrey will, and is, developing into the player we know he will be, but the truth is that the only spell where we didn’t look at sixes and sevens was when we played the duo of Hanley and Zimbo. 

I don't think anyone has even a vague right on here to criticise how Farke deals with young players. He has been exceptional with young players and everything is done for a reason.

Just like those who criticised the club for not signing a CB, it turns out the club and those within it really do know better than Jim from the PinkUn

• Like 2

The stuff Pep does seems to serve him well? 

Has Farke been about the best manager of young players we've ever had?

19 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Same for Onel if we're honest. 

Who was by far our best player after the covid break.

• Like 1

Given how none of us know what Farke was saying, or why, perhaps it would be better to trust that he knew what he was doing

• Like 4

I agree with all the positive comments on young Andrew.  Looked very composed and comfortable on the ball and quick to recover when on the occasion he looked in trouble.  Rather than go out on loan Andrew stays on for PL as 5th CB, will be young enough not to take a squad position.  Why 5 CB's because some other options have had injury problems and will still be under contract next season.  Grant, Gibbo and Zimm who hopefully will be fit for start of PL and another experienced CB in squad.

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

Given how none of us know what Farke was saying, or why, perhaps it would be better to trust that he knew what he was doing

I speculated last night that he might have been saying something along the lines of "Take a look around you, and imagine yourself back in this place full of 27,000 people for a game against Manchester United next season. If you carry on at your current rate of development, that could be you."

Nothing but positives. No need for any doubt about how he will be handled.

I'm pretty certain we will be in the market for some expensive signings in the summer so an academy breakthrough will save us a fortune. 4 CBs should be enough. And that includes young Andrew.

3 hours ago, pete said:

I agree with all the positive comments on young Andrew.  Looked very composed and comfortable on the ball and quick to recover when on the occasion he looked in trouble.  Rather than go out on loan Andrew stays on for PL as 5th CB, will be young enough not to take a squad position.  Why 5 CB's because some other options have had injury problems and will still be under contract next season.  Grant, Gibbo and Zimm who hopefully will be fit for start of PL and another experienced CB in squad.

Big question marks I think over Zimmerman. He just can;t seem to stay fit now and when he has played he's been not at the same level so yes i think we will see at least one CB come in but obviously who plays in front of them as CDM is equally important. 

Is it just me or did AO look equally comfortable passing out with both feet? Was watching on phone so may have got it wrong with 46 year old eyesight.

Second ever professional start, team won 7-0, clean sheet; no harm in Farke making absolutely sure AO keeps his eye on the prize with sterner tests yet to come.