Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

A word about Andrew O

I have been impressed with young Omobamidele, he looked confident and assured today, and hasn’t done much wrong in his two appearances so far.  They have admittedly been against lesser sides in the division and he’ll have far sterner tests to come - not least against Watford who are far more in-your-face - but he’s certainly backed up DF’s confidence in him.  

• Like 6

He has looked great and especially playing the ball out, and this has been a perfect way for him to make his debut in the first team over the last couple of games at age 18. But we can expect him to be put under more pressure !

Just finished the replay and one of my favorite things was seeing Farke on the pitch with Andrew after everyone had already gone down the tunnel and he was still coaching, bending Andrew's ear.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

Is he more of a 'ball playing' centre back or more of a 'brick wall' centre back?

More of a Godfrey than a Hanley. Looks very comfortable on the ball.

Preston had a real go at him in the first 15 minutes and he stood up to that well but it's still only 2 games. He couldn't ask for a better time to get a run of games. Fingers crossed he gets through it.

39 minutes ago, Dogbo Daggins said:

Is he more of a 'ball playing' centre back or more of a 'brick wall' centre back?

I thought he has shown he can do both sides of the game, he played like a season pro.  The only thing I noticed was that he was caught out of position a couple of times, it would have been great to hear Farke’s points.  The commentators suggested it was marking from throw on’s, I did not notice that.

He was superb tonight, a few key  interceptions and really composed on the ball.

I commented on the CV thread that he will need/get a loan, if he keeps playing this way between now and the end of the season he has a chance of being that 4th CB.

Shows just how good our coaching is - he's come into the side and is so comfortable on the ball, the other players have no problem passing to him during an opposition press - he's not had to defend at any serious level as of yet but as a technical footballer he's clearly talented and well coached.

• Like 4

Didn't really put a foot wrong all game. I can't see him getting serious game time in the Premier League next season because I'm sure we will sign an established centre back, but in the long term, the only thing that will prevent him reaching Godfrey's level would be not finding an opening in the side for regular first team football. 

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Shows just how good our coaching is - he's come into the side and is so comfortable on the ball, the other players have no problem passing to him during an opposition press - he's not had to defend at any serious level as of yet but as a technical footballer he's clearly talented and well coached.

It was really interesting to see Farke giving him some more coaching before they'd left the pitch, especially after a 7-0 win!

It is difficult to draw too many conclusions on defenders in a game where your attack so comprehensively crushed the opposition spirit before the game even got going. Saying that, he looked calm and confident on the ball and seemed to read danger well. For those who saw him v Preston, how is he in the air?

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

It is difficult to draw too many conclusions on defenders in a game where your attack so comprehensively crushed the opposition spirit before the game even got going. Saying that, he looked calm and confident on the ball and seemed to read danger well. For those who saw him v Preston, how is he in the air?

Sky showed a highlights package before the game of Omobamidele v Preston and nearly every clip was him heading the ball.

20 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Sky showed a highlights package before the game of Omobamidele v Preston and nearly every clip was him heading the ball.

Well that's encouraging- he's an interesting prospect in that he doesn't really look like a central defender (a bit more wirey than you'd expect) but if he can cope with the more physical side of the game then great.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

Well that's encouraging- he's an interesting prospect in that he doesn't really look like a central defender (a bit more wirey than you'd expect) but if he can cope with the more physical side of the game then great.

He might still fill out a bit yet at 18. He only looks wiry simply as his name takes up half the back of his shirt!

Definitely more a Gibson than a Hanley, but he looks good in the air too.

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

He’s blatantly a defensive midfielder..

I know you're joking and it's clear he's built to be a CB but I was actually thinking over these two games that he's composed, mobile and technically good enough to play in midfield for us, I don't think he's misplaced one pass in over 180 minutes of football

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

He might still fill out a bit yet at 18. He only looks wiry simply as his name takes up half the back of his shirt!

Definitely more a Gibson than a Hanley, but he looks good in the air too.

That's a really good point- definitely time for him to pack on a bit more muscle if its needed. 

I thought that he gave a brilliant performance. He covered very well at the back making some excellent interceptions. Was very composed and made a few very incisive forward passes. 

Still to be as expected he's a little raw around the edges.....but I predict better things in his football future for Andrew......

37 minutes ago, king canary said:

That's a really good point- definitely time for him to pack on a bit more muscle if its needed. 

He is only 18, you tend to "fill out" as you get older.

(I should know, over the years I have filled out by about 4 stones! )😃

2 hours ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

He was superb tonight, a few key  interceptions and really composed on the ball.

I commented on the CV thread that he will need/get a loan, if he keeps playing this way between now and the end of the season he has a chance of being that 4th CB.

He will be here next season as a very competent 3rd CB with i am sorry to say Zimbo dropping down the pecking order.

• Like 2

Anybody else notice that Farke stayed out on the pitch talking him through the game he'd just had, when every other player had finished the hand shakes and walked down the tunnel?

Farke seriously invested in his development and clearly sees him as the next one off the conveyor belt. 

Famewo may feel a bit unlucky as this is likely to push him out of the picture for next season and back out on loan? 

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

He will be here next season as a very competent 3rd CB with i am sorry to say Zimbo dropping down the pecking order.

Wouldn't write Zimmermann off just yet, many of us (me included) eating our words about Hanley, who played just 7 times in our last promotion season and is now a lynchpin.

3 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Big call. That's a lot to ask of a rookie 18-year-old centre-half. I think he needs a loan next season as nine times out of ten, youngsters will be a bit inconsistent (Aarons seems to be the exception). Famewo can be kept as an emergency if needed, but this lad looks like he needs regular game time.

• Thanks 1

No doubt it's all a bit previous getting this excited after just two games, but what a fabulous two games he has had. What has impressed me most is his reading of the game; so far he has been in exactly the right place at exactly the right time to make very comfortable interceptions. The only criticism I had of Godfrey was that he was sometimes caught out of position and had to rely on his speed to bail himself out. So far the big Om looks like he has greater nous than Godfrey in that respect. Very early days of course and time and more testing opposition will tell.

Getting a first team run at a time like this when the pressure is off and his side are winning the league is such an opportunity. 

I love the way we have brought on young players in the Farke era. 

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Wouldn't write Zimmermann off just yet, many of us (me included) eating our words about Hanley, who played just 7 times in our last promotion season and is now a lynchpin.

I'd be surprised if Zimmermann makes a comeback at this point- he seems to now be getting lots of niggly injuries and when I've seen him play recently he looks like he struggles with mobility.