Sign in to follow this  
mastoola

Dont care about the players feelings.

If we get promoted we should tell the players they are staying. As a football club its about time we gave the club every chance to survive in the premier league. it would mean going with the players we have(minus Skip) and adding a couple of extras.  Dont get we need to let the best go as they deserve to play for bigger clubs. Its about time we be selfish. 

Always works well having players who, rightly or wrongly, don't want to be here / believing they should be playing for 'bigger teams' & getting paid more. 

Agreed. However they are paid well.  They work in a group they obviously get on with. Not one of them would be where they are without Norwich city. They should stay and see where they can be. We have made these players and now they should make Norwich City.

Id love to live in your world. 

thats not how it works - both ways, im afraid. 

Just now, The Bristol Nest said:

I get your sentiment but it will not work as you want it to.

100% i agree with you. But if we want to survive its how we must make it.  We have the most awesome academy. At some point we need it to work for us and not just be a money spinner . So why not at this point in time make a stand.

It is working for us - Have you seen the sales of our academy products. 

Thats the football circle of life. 

If every club applied your logic, no one would ever move clubs at any level. 

I dont think you have thought this through.

• Like 1

Disagree . We are at the point where we do not need the money like every other club.  If we dont get promoted your argument is valid. We do not need the money, we need the players. Yes its hard nosed but without the team we have built we dont stand a chance. Thers no chance we can replace the players that we sell. So we must keep them and give the prem a go. 

We need to be continually improving the players. 

The youngsters come here because they know they will get a good coaching, and a chance, and if it works out we wont stand in their way to better themselves. It really isn't that hard to see. 

1 minute ago, mastoola said:

Disagree . We are at the point where we do not need the money like every other club.  If we dont get promoted your argument is valid. We do not need the money, we need the players. Yes its hard nosed but without the team we have built we dont stand a chance. Thers no chance we can replace the players that we sell. So we must keep them and give the prem a go. 

Part of the understanding between players and the club is that the club won't stand in their way if they want to move on.  That way you will get players coming to Norwich who know they have the best chance of progressing their careers how they want to.  If you lose that give and take between players and the club, then you will lose more than you will gain. Best let them move if their opportunity comes.  I don't think we will lose many, there is so much going for us football wise that we may just keep most of them.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

We need to be continually improving the players. 

The youngsters come here because they know they will get a good coaching, and a chance, and if it works out we wont stand in their way to better themselves. It really isn't that hard to see. 

Absolutely. Do we need to be this club as a championship club or a premier league club ? 

9 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Part of the understanding between players and the club is that the club won't stand in their way if they want to move on.  That way you will get players coming to Norwich who know they have the best chance of progressing their careers how they want to.  If you lose that give and take between players and the club, then you will lose more than you will gain. Best let them move if their opportunity comes.  I don't think we will lose many, there is so much going for us football wise that we may just keep most of them.

But when does the club come first?

Im quite happy that Webber and Farke know what they are doing, and have got us to where we are now. 

Long may it continue. 

im sure they'd appreciate your input though.  

That's just sarcastic.  When does the football club become more important than the players?

The policies seem to me to be working in the best interests of everyone - and anyway, as we have seen, if someone is sold we find someone who can step up.  I thought we would  really miss Godfrey, but we look better defensively this season and Omobadele looks the real deal too.  

Turn it another way. 

A player is out of form, not quite the level we need, unable to regain former heights following an injury, his replacement is keeping him out of the team, whatever, and we want to ship out. Say we get a good / acceptable offer, but the player doesnt want to go, and just picks up his wages - he has a contract, so wants to see it out. But hes seen as mercenary!  

Some thing, just round the other way, surely? 

Its always been the way - Top top players go to top level clubs, and it filters down. 

Omobadele looks like Rio Ferdinand lol. Its great we have a procession of talent. But we need to keep this team together. If we go into the premier league needing to build another team then we are in trouble.

3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

The policies seem to me to be working in the best interests of everyone - and anyway, as we have seen, if someone is sold we find someone who can step up.  I thought we would  really miss Godfrey, but we look better defensively this season and Omobadele looks the real deal too.  

Agreed LDC. 

We seen to have the best of both worlds atm, selling some players (not all I agree) and progressing on the pitch too. What a great story that is, ill take that every day of the week. 

If it aint broken dont fix it! 

Omobadele looks like Rio Ferdinand lol. Its great we have a procession of talent. But we need to keep this team together. If we go into the premier league needing to build another team then we are in trouble.

I doubt they will sell them all! 

Turn it another way. 

A player is out of form, not quite the level we need, unable to regain former heights following an injury, his replacement is keeping him out of the team, whatever, and we want to ship out. Say we get a good / acceptable offer, but the player doesnt want to go, and just picks up his wages - he has a contract, so wants to see it out. But hes seen as mercenary!  

Some thing, just round the other way, surely? 

Its always been the way - Top top players go to top level clubs, and it filters down. 

Do you think we have a mercenary in our team?  I agree top top players should be at a top top club. but we need a top top player to keep us in the premier league. Yes its a gamble but to break up a team for just money will see us fail.

Cant have it both ways - that was my point. 

Anyways we are going round in circles. ill leave you in LDC's more than capable hands (if he is still about) 

Cant have it both ways - that was my point. 

Anyways we are going round in circles. ill leave you in LDC's more than capable hands (if he is still about) 

Have a good night. btw the only player i wouldn't stand in the way of if is max arrons 

I'm desperately hoping we can persuade all our big players to stay - Max Aarons, Emi Buendia, Todd Cantwell, Teemu Pukki etc. It would be a massive shame to lose any of them. But I agree if a player is minded to leave and an acceptable offer is made, we shouldn't stand in their way. I'm hopeful, though, we can persuade them all to stay just one more season. Then, up or down, they can have their pick of big moves. 

100% agree with you. We need a team to compete and to sell your best players when you cannot compete in the transfer market is a step backwards. Keep them together for another year and we have a chance.

The problem with this is that it doesn't take into account the fact that progress is not linear and you will have spells where, to make progress, you have to go sidewards or backwards. It is better for the club if those who eventually do not want to be there, regardless of their talent, are moved on when they no longer want to be there. Leitner is the poster boy for that.

• Like 1

We have become the club we are, by being aware of the players ambitions and we have attracted top talent because of this approach.  I think we can’t simply switch approach or all the youngsters will want to go and play for a club who do give them opportunities.  So I don’t think it is a case of us currently putting players ahead of the club, the players, supporters, management and owners are all collectively the club, and we are in the best place we can be considering all those things.  Lots of clubs are trying to emulate our model, and pushing ourselves so we become a club who simply hold onto premier league status each season whilst losing 2/3’s of our games is not really that appealing.  The future currently looks exciting, brexit will mean lower premiership teams will struggle to buy good foreign players, unless they are seasoned internationals.  So I think there will be a change to the standard in the premiership, those who grow their own will rise up the league, and lots of 30 year old seasoned professionals filling the team desperate to stay in the premiership (like Bolton in the early 2000’s) - when they go down they will find it really hard to bounce back.

I can totally see what @mastoola is saying here, and the club's hand is greatly strengthened by the position it finds itself in. While I don't think it's reasonable to pull up the drawbridge and say "no one leaves", we can certainly be a little more forceful with our demands from potential suitors.

Realistically I think there are only three players who could be said to have 'outgrown' the club: Aarons, Cantwell and Buendia. At 33 and 31 respectively I don't think anyone would shell out what we'd ask for Krul or Pukki, and nobody else is quite at the same level as those five.

Aarons is the youngest, and seemingly the most professional and down-to-earth; he's been an absolute model pro so far and has earnt his move. However, he's still only 21 and could be persuaded that another year to help establish us at the top table might be worthwhile.

Todd is 23 and still has two years left on his contract (one year plus an extra year's extension). If we can't persuade him to sign a new deal over the summer, it might be best for all parties to let him go. He was sensational last night and is clearly still improving, so might well be persuaded to sign a longer and significantly better deal with the knowledge that we still won't stand in his way if a monster offer comes in.

Emi is the most remarkable player of the bunch. He's 24 already, though, and clearly way too good for another relegation battle. I just can't see him wanting to stay for another year, and if Liverpool or Arsenal come calling with £40m+ then I think he's as good as gone. 

I know players like Emi don't grow on trees, but we signed Maddison for £3m and sold him for £24m, and then 'replaced the irreplaceable' by signing Emi for £1.5m (£5m after promotion bonuses). Finding a third gem from the same mould as Emi and Madders is highly unlikely, but we've certainly got the recruitment team to pull it off.

I would be very surprised if all three of our 'crown jewels' left over the summer; sadly, I would be very surprised if Emi starts the season here. We live in hope.

• Like 1

One thing with this club is just appreciate the talent we have in the here and now and worry later. Webber and Farke are going to get is top dollar when players do move on. No more are we ‘little ole Norwich’ who will accept any sort of semi-serious bid. We rejected low ball bids for both Godfrey and Lewis. £20m and £8m starting bids. Eventually getting £25m and £15m. We know the valuation of our players and with this hierarchy it won’t be p*ssed away. The infastructure of the club is envied by many, and will continued to be invested. So just enjoy the ride and knowing Webber and co they have already identified targets who will become the next stars of the club if said players leave. 

12 hours ago, mastoola said:

Always.

Which is why it is so crucial the club do not have any unhappy players not pulling their weight, taking the spot of someone who wants to play and will give more.

• Like 3