Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

Emi or Maddison?

On 07/04/2021 at 08:56, Excited Canary said:

Erm, no he isn’t. As much as I loved Wes, there is a reason that the best club Wes played for was Norwich, whilst Emi will play Champions League football (and no, not because of loyalty).  A different league.

I've been rushed off my feet, but I will respond to this. 

Ugh. Really?

Maddison is doing it week in, week out for a team at the top end of the Premier League. He was younger than Emi is now when he left us.

So if you are talking about impact and achievements in their time with us, Emi wins.

If you are talking about ability, Maddison wins.

We cannot forget that last time we were in the Premier League, Buendia struggled. He was losing the ball and giving it away so frequently it became an issue for Farke which is why he wasn't always started.

Buendia is a month younger than Maddison. Maddison has achieved more in his career so far.

People are banging on about not having favourites but it's clear that is why folks are putting Buendia ahead of Maddison.

Wes? Holt said in the fans panel he was in the other week "Until this team achieve what we did, premier league survival, they are not as good as us." I agree. Wes was a crucial part of the team that saw us have three successive seasons in the premier league. That cannot be underestimated.

As for Maddison Vs Buendia. Maddison is far better at dead ball situations. It's not even close for me. And the most annoying thing about that? It's a technique that you can train and practice and improve. Not beating the first man at corners is inexcusable for a pro for me.

12 hours ago, chicken said:

We cannot forget that last time we were in the Premier League, Buendia struggled. He was losing the ball and giving it away so frequently it became an issue for Farke which is why he wasn't always started.

Urm...wasn't he consistently in the top 5 for chance creation alongside De Bruyne etc?

20 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Urm...wasn't he consistently in the top 5 for chance creation alongside De Bruyne etc?

Yep. And important to remember Maddison is feeding chances to Vardy and Ihenacho with Ndidi and Tielemans behind him. Easier to look quality with those surroundings rather than what we had.

I agree with Chicken that Maddison has, right now, proven himself at a higher level. However I think if you stuck Buendia into a Leicester type team he'd also be brilliant.

14 hours ago, chicken said:

Wes? Holt said in the fans panel he was in the other week "Until this team achieve what we did, premier league survival, they are not as good as us." I agree. Wes was a crucial part of the team that saw us have three successive seasons in the premier league. That cannot be underestimated.

Context is key. That was about a decade ago and things change.

2 hours ago, kirku said:

Context is key. That was about a decade ago and things change.

Absolutely - the Premier League has changed beyond all recognition even in the relatively short period of time since then. 

• Like 1

But for Maddison carrying us for the whole of his last season with us, we would have, in all probability,  been relegated.

As well as his undoubted playing ability, & as others here have said, he showed remarkable consistency which he has carried over with ease in the Premiership.

Emi struggled in the top division &, prior to the new year, has shown nothing like the level of consistency & his hot headed reactions have let him down on more than one occasion. Sadly you have to learn that if you are any good, you will get kicked from time to time. Most of the great players learn not to over react & the better they get the more protection they get from the officials over time.

I suspect the lack of offers for him (& Todd) in the last transfer window, brought on a reality check for both of them. Whether this was due to either Farke or their agents giving them a few home truths I suspect we will never know. What is obvious however is that since January both of them appear to have undergone serious changes of attitude, have been models of consistency & been very valuable to our promotion push. Their individual games have finally benefited enormously. In my opinion, they both wasted the Premiership season & the first half of this one, possibly evidenced by the apparent lack of serious interest in either of them in past transfer windows. With all club finances affected by the pandemic would you have taken a multi million pound gamble on either of them? Unfortunately I think this will all change in the coming transfer window.

As things stand it would be terrific if we could hang on to both of them until at least next winters window. 

Back to whose best? Who knows. They are both talented players who are a joy to watch, especially in City colours! I think their styles are too different to make any meaningful comparisons but the end product is hugely beneficial to whoever they are playing for.

I'm sitting on the fence here!

Edited by Cornwall Canaryfan