TIL 1010

Praise For Us On TWTD.

"My fear is they'll sign McGoldrick." 🤣

My fear is we'll sign McGoldprick. (We won't sign McGoldprick.)

• Haha 1

1p5wich were never as good as we were in that first half - not even when they were finishing second in the top league did they play football like that.

4 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Love how they can ignore how our starting elven tonight cost around us 5 million

Did it???  emi cost that alone.

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

He did?

emi.png

then when we got promoted we had to pay up the three year payment plan.  go check  was it 5.5 mil in total?

Nah, we paid a substantial chunk more with a promotion clause. Safe to say he was still a bargain though. I believe it ended up totaling 5m Euros.

1 minute ago, KeiranShikari said:

Nah, we paid a substantial chunk more with a promotion clause. Safe to say he was still a bargain though. I believe it ended up totaling 5m Euros.

Best money we ever spent

1 minute ago, mastoola said:

Best money we ever spent

Also the nothing we spent on Teemu Pukki

Just now, Fiery Zac said:

Best money we never spent 😄

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Love how they can ignore how our starting elven tonight cost around us 5 million

Is this Lord of the Rings?

28 minutes ago, Fiery Zac said:

Well he would have got a personal signing bonus and generally higher wages. He would be one of the higher earners along with Tim Krul and Drmic as all came from free agency. 

49 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Well he would have got a personal signing bonus and generally higher wages. He would be one of the higher earners along with Tim Krul and Drmic as all came from free agency. 

But £0 to the selling club for a player that has become one of the highest scoring players in the clubs history, not bad?

Best free transfer ever

1 hour ago, WD40 said:

Yeah, let's send him back!

9 hours ago, sgncfc said:

1p5wich were never as good as we were in that first half - not even when they were finishing second in the top league did they play football like that.

There's no comparison. Huddersfield have been poor this season and were woeful last night but when Ipswich were in their prime under Robson they were taking on the very best teams in English football (and European football sometimes). 

7 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

But £0 to the selling club for a player that has become one of the highest scoring players in the clubs history, not bad?

Best free transfer ever

For sure, an excellent transfer full stop. Over the course of a contract would he be cheaper than say Holty? Perhaps not.

@ Yellow Rider

That sounds as if it comes straight from the mouth of an ITFC supporter. It's totally TWTD on a daily basis after all. I am sure I'm wrong about that though.

Those were the days when the underdog could achieve such things. I suppose you could say that those were the days before Sky money and the before game its self became the global attraction that it is today, when merchandise became a recognisable income and TV money became more valuable than turnstile clicks and ticket sales.

That Bobby Robson produced a superb team is undeniable but I wonder how he would manage today without funds that a club like Ipswich could generate under a static owner like Marcus Evans or the family friendly Cobbold/Sheepshank winos. 

Like it or not, we have to accept that football as it has become today began with the formation of the Premier League (Premiership) and all that went before are just fond (very) memories because times change and evolve and accelerate with technology. 

From Hollywood through to the 'Main Event' the real money is derived from the big/small screen. 

People who complain that money rules the game overlook the fact that this money is only derived from demand. That more money comes from broadcasting (and potentially streaming) than from bums on seats offends us all to a certain extent. We embrace it however and much more now than we have done in life in the time of Covid.

The game has been kept alive by Sky (and others) these last fifteen months or so. Like it or not.

As a club, City do to a certain extent buck the trend with our so-called self -sufficiency but without televison money, which accumulates from a worldwide audience which in turn invites billionaire style investment, there is no way that we would have accumulated the £60m+ amount from the sales of Maddison, Godfrey and Lewis. At the very least it ensures survival and would seem to be far more lucrative than collecting shillings thrown into a blanket. At the very best we eat at the top table for an appropriate period.

It's a devious gameplan which we are managing. Clubs like ITFC who live in the past sink.

IFollow is here to stay. Mark my words.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, yellowrider120 said:

There's no comparison. Huddersfield have been poor this season and were woeful last night but when Ipswich were in their prime under Robson they were taking on the very best teams in English football (and European football sometimes). 

As an Ipswich fan you must be jealous. Fair enough. Things have been pretty dire at Portman Rd this century in particular

Maybe this American outfit can bring back those glory days now ME's thrown in the towel ?

But it may be a while yet......

13 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

As an Ipswich fan you must be jealous. Fair enough. Things have been pretty dire at Portman Rd this century in particular

Maybe this American outfit can bring back those glory days now ME's thrown in the towel ?

But it may be a while yet......

the American outfit is ONLY providing the funds it would seem

those running it will be hoping the wring out more money than Evans did

17 hours ago, mastoola said:

Did it???  emi cost that alone.

Was going to say sure he only cost 1.5m... this season its cost us 100k per assist 🤣

16 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Best free transfer ever

He was a brilliant signing, undoubtedly. Fantastic player and one of the best strikers we've had in recent times.

Best free transfer ever? He's not even the best free transfer in his position..