Sign in to follow this  
Alex Moss

Liverpool ‘enquire’ about Emi Buendía

Hopefully he will stay with us and help us make a good challenge next season. We have something special going on here and if we are in the PL, we will need all the good players we have now - and we don't need to sell any of them.

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

They can 'enquire' all they like, as if they aren't offering 40m or above hes not going anywhere

I would like to think we would ask for £50 m at least

• Like 1

He's going to be hugely tough to keep- he's 24 now, about to enter the prime of his career and I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to give up another year of his career for a relegation battle.

1 minute ago, king canary said:

He's going to be hugely tough to keep- he's 24 now, about to enter the prime of his career and I wouldn't blame him for not wanting to give up another year of his career for a relegation battle.

Who says it's going to be a relegation battle?  Surely we go into a new season with optimism and fire in our bellies?  Sheff Utd proved it can be done from promotion to the top league so why shouldn't we, especially as we (arguably) have a better squad than last time?

The key is how much they want him (i.e. what they are prepared to pay) and whether he wants to go. If he really wants to go and a club like Liverpool make a decent offer, it will be very hard to keep him.

Much as will hate to lose him, and we will at some stage, we would have to accept a good offer he wanted to leave - it is an explicit part of the deal we have offered to players - "we will keep you and develop you, so don't go to a bottom half premier team; stay with us until a top team comes in for you."

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Who says it's going to be a relegation battle?  Surely we go into a new season with optimism and fire in our bellies?  Sheff Utd proved it can be done from promotion to the top league so why shouldn't we, especially as we (arguably) have a better squad than last time?

Too right, does he want to have a go achieving top 4 with us or them. 

5 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
12 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Too right, does he want to have a go achieving top 4 with us or them. 

Exactly.  I know the point you are making - I said it last time and the point remains - there is no reason why we can't do well next season. 

Edited by lake district canary

The Lewis transfer saga tells us all we need to know about what sort of offer the arrogant tossers at Liverpool will make. Not a chance he will go there as they won't get close to other offers from equally attractive clubs.

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think the age thing is key here too, Kingo. There is going to come a point where he will be thinking about that, in fact you would imagine that’s on his mind now. That said, I don’t think it’s a formality he leaves this summer. I have a feeling from some of comments that Farke’s made fairly recently that some maybe happy to play another season here as we will almost certainly be offering them a starting position in the Premier League. I actually think Emi’s possibly even happier here than what we realise. The players will of course be privy to things that we don’t know about, and if they deem them favourable and ambitious enough then they may also be thinking things could be a lot different for us this time around.

I try to live in the ‘now’ for football as otherwise I’d be thinking too much about what happens at the end of next season. That said, there is part of me that worries we could be in a position where we see Stuart and Daniel leaving, and some key players deciding that it’s the right time to go too. Keeping Stuart and Daniel really is key for me, I hope we get a nice surprise at the end of the season and they both say there is no point moving on, we have a really exciting challenge right here to take this club to the next levels. They’ve put in so much hard work, sometimes it’s harder to throw that all away just to start back at square one all over again at another club where there’s a pretty reasonable chance things will not be the same for various reasons. 

I would really like to think that has some serious draw for them.

Edited by Alex Moss

11 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

I think the age thing is key here too, Kingo. There is going to come a point where he will be thinking about that, in fact you would imagine that’s on his mind now. That said, I don’t think it’s a formality he leaves this summer. I have a feeling from some of comments that Farke’s made fairly recently that some maybe happy to play another season here as we will almost certainly be offering them a starting position in the Premier League. I actually think Emi’s possibly even happier here than what we realise. The players will of course be privy to things that we don’t know about, and if they deem them favourable and ambitious enough then they may also be thinking things could be a lot different for us this time around.

I try to live in the ‘now’ for football as otherwise I’d be thinking too much about what happens at the end of next season. There is part of me that worries we could be in a position where we see Stuart and Daniel leaving, and some key players deciding that it’s the right time to go too. Keeping Stuart and Daniel really is key for me, I hope we get a nice surprise at the end of the season and they both say there is no point moving on, we have a really exciting challenge right here to take this club to the next levels. They’ve put in so much hard work, sometimes it’s harder to throw that all away just to start back at square one all over again at another club where there’s a pretty reasonable chance things will not be the same for various reasons. 

I would really like to think that has some serious draw for them.

The Webber situation will be interesting- not every club has a SD/DoF role so there is no guarantee that something will be available that interests him when his contract expires.

However on the other hand I did read in a recent Michael Bailey article that Webber would be open to taking a career break if needs be. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it but the perfect fit for Emi would be Leicester right now. They could sell Maddison, sign Emi and have £30/40m in the bank.

Champions league football on the horizon and a better player to kick on some more. 

If we go up we’ll need to keep him. I’m not bothered one bit if they’re not even going to offer half his current value though, as we all know Liverpool would have to wait at least a decade before we’d accept that 

He's not going anywhere for a derisory £19.8m. The problem we may have is the reaction from Emi should we effectively prevent him joining Liverpool. Either way I suspect he will be on a vastly improved contract this summer.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I hate to say it but the perfect fit for Emi would be Leicester right now. They could sell Maddison, sign Emi and have £30/40m in the bank.

Champions league football on the horizon and a better player to kick on some more. 

'They could sell Maddison'

why-would-someone-do-that-gif.gif

Watch how quickly Emi gets the ball away and how well he executes it. He is seeing things only De Bruyne sees.    Add in his guile and he's pretty special!   

Clubs will pay £50m plus for players nowhere near his ability and effectiveness.     So good and he's already proved it in the EPL.... easily worth £50m plus in my view..... just hope when he goes, he goes to a top Champions League side just to prove how good he is.... also hope he gets to play alongside Messi for Argentina before the genius retires.    

Cannot see any Pl club paying us the sort of money we think he is worth i.e. £40m.  Emi linked with the likes of Arsenal will be looking at a PL club near the top and ambitious not Brighton or Palace and definitely not Burnley.  Emi to sign a new improved contract for next season but will go if City relegated when PL finances will have improved.

If he does go we can hopefully strengthen a few other areas and end up with a better overall team like we did when we sold Maddison. We're never replacing him one for one, but 3 or 4 quality signings in different areas could make us much more competitive next year.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Exactly.  I know the point you are making - I said it last time and the point remains - there is no reason why we can't do well next season. 

Hold on, hold on, not too long ago you were saying we're not even up yet, now you're talking about top 4???

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Hold on, hold on, not too long ago you were saying we're not even up yet, now you're talking about top 4???

Absolutely never learns.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'They could sell Maddison'

why-would-someone-do-that-gif.gif

They lost £60m + last season, even rich clubs might play it tight in the summer. 

2 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Let’s get real here. Whilst we have replaced Godfrey and Lewis with Gibson and Giannoulis/Quintilla our squad is pretty much the same,. That squad was just too inadequate to survive in the Premier League. I do think our defence is better although the play of Skipp has supported this and we may well not have him next season. 
Can you really see the club investing the level of money needed to strengthen key positions in the side given we are already committed to purchase Gibson and Giannoulis and might purchase Quintilla? I think we have a reasonable chance of finishing 17th but to imagine we will finish top half of the table is canary coloured spectacles territory.

If he goes, I'd bet he won't go to Liverpool. They would have to almost completely change their style to accommodate him and I don't see Klopp doing that. 

We don't know what he was promised when he had his wobble, if anything. We might have said he can go if he helps to get us up. I'd still fancy Arsenal as his optimum destination, but whoever pays us the minimum £40m (and I'm not sure anyone will) they would still have to be patient with him, which is not something that Arsenal fans are famous for.

His best option would be to stay at Norwich until January. Get us enough points on the board before he moves on. But I might be biased. 🙂

41 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I simply rule nothing out.  If we are promoted, which is looking more certain with every point Swansea and Brentford drop, then it is a clean slate next season.  Anything can happen and that includes a very good season.

Just now, lake district canary said:

I simply rule nothing out.  If we are promoted, which is looking more certain with every point Swansea and Brentford drop, then it is a clean slate next season.  Anything can happen and that includes a very good season.

I'm normally extremely optimistic at the start of new seasons, but even I think top 4 is a bit much, I'll tell you one thing though if we achieve it i'll treat you to the mother of all drinking sessions.

A very good season next season, would still imo be 17th.