Sign in to follow this  
Fr. Chewy Louie

Number 10 position

Haven't seen much about this, but one of the big problem positions last time in the Prem was the lack of an effective 10 - Stiepermann didn't step up and the less said about Duda the better.

Dowell has shown some flashes but I don't see him as an effective first choice for the position at PL level. Would love it if Stiepi can find his best form again, as he has a good mix of physical presence and creativity, but would be a gamble. Any up and coming replacements?

Isn't it ironic how Dowell was heralded to be the new no10 for us, but has been far more effective in the matches where he has been able to come in from the flank like Cantwell and Buendia. We've also seen plenty of others try and fail other than Stiepermann. I'm not sure why we don't just give up and play a fluid attacking 3 and let Dowell/Buendia and Cantwell roam into those 3 positions at ease. 

I would imagine, from the way Farke has integrated Stiepi rather swiftly, that for the run-in he will be a major contender for the no10 position, although Rupp was starting to show some good ability although not a natural 10 by any means.

Long term we need a Premier League quality no10 akin to Buendia and Cantwell for the amount of key passes they can pick out if we are to be successful at staying up, who that is I'm not quite sure

Oh man I can't wait for all the "bUt wE dOnT pLaY wItH a fiXEd nUMbeR tEn, yoU dOnT unDErsTaNd tAticS" comments. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, interwebme said:

Oh man I can't wait for all the "bUt wE dOnT pLaY wItH a fiXEd nUMbeR tEn, yoU dOnT unDErsTaNd tAticS" comments. 

The attacking width in our set up is nearly always provided by the full backs. Our attacking midfielders are constantly rotating and you are just as likely to find someone like Cantwell or Buendia turning up in a central position as in a wide left or wide wide right position. 

There's a version for you interwebme 😉 

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The attacking width in our set up is nearly always provided by the full backs. Our attacking midfielders are constantly rotating and you are just as likely to find someone like Cantwell or Buendia turning up in a central position as in a wide left or wide wide right position. 

Right on time

Great viewing 😂 🍿 🍿 

bUt wE dOnT pLaY wItH a fiXEd nUMbeR tEn, yoU dOnT unDErsTaNd tAticS

• Haha 1

To be honest I’d go with a attacking two behind Pukki and play two central midfielders and holding midfielder to support the back four, allowing the wingbacks to provide the width. In the premiership we got overrun in midfield and dropped deap especially second half of the season. But number ten is a key position knowing that both Buendia and Cantwell come inside a heck of a lot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Probably a bit of a generalisation, but although all the front 4 do all operate in that central space, I don't think they mostly receive the ball there - Emi and Todd come inside with the ball all the time, and Teemu pops up all over, but whoever is in the 10 spot should be the "default" player in that part of the pitch.

1 hour ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Haven't seen much about this, but one of the big problem positions last time in the Prem was the lack of an effective 10 - Stiepermann didn't step up and the less said about Duda the better.

Dowell has shown some flashes but I don't see him as an effective first choice for the position at PL level. Would love it if Stiepi can find his best form again, as he has a good mix of physical presence and creativity, but would be a gamble. Any up and coming replacements?

Good post - I've been meaning to start a similar one recently.

I think a new number 10 is on everyone's wish list in the summer, but I think the question should be 'what type of player do we want?'

We've seen a few different types of players playing there and I'd love one of the archant guys to ask Farke what he would like in the long term.

Do we need a more physical player (like MS), who can do the hold up play for Pukki?

Do we need a more advanced midfielder (like McLean/Rupp) who are more technically proficient?

Or another playmaker (like Dowell) who can compliment Cantwell and Buendia?

For me, what's lacking is a goal threat. Cantwell and Buendia are excellent but weren't consistent enough with their goal contributions last time we were in the PL. Another player who can take make us less reliant on Pukki will be the difference staying up or going down IMO.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Good post - I've been meaning to start a similar one recently.

I think a new number 10 is on everyone's wish list in the summer, but I think the question should be 'what type of player do we want?'

We've seen a few different types of players playing there and I'd love one of the archant guys to ask Farke what he would like in the long term.

Do we need a more physical player (like MS), who can do the hold up play for Pukki?

Do we need a more advanced midfielder (like McLean/Rupp) who are more technically proficient?

Or another playmaker (like Dowell) who can compliment Cantwell and Buendia?

For me, what's lacking is a goal threat. Cantwell and Buendia are excellent but weren't consistent enough with their goal contributions last time we were in the PL. Another player who can take make us less reliant on Pukki will be the difference staying up or going down IMO.

Seems to me that a more physical #10 is what we need but the right mix of technical skill and physical stature (for the PL) is likely to be out of our price range.

Maybe we can unearth the next Fellaini..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kirku said:

bUt wE dOnT pLaY wItH a fiXEd nUMbeR tEn, yoU dOnT unDErsTaNd tAticS

You're quite right. What are tatics?

Have we written Dowell off then? I thought he was starting to look quite good there. 

14 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Have we written Dowell off then? I thought he was starting to look quite good there. 

Not writing him off at all, but I don't think he's at the level of a PL starter currently. Seems to drift in and out of games a bit, but maybe it's hard to impose yourself in a team alongside Emi and Todd.

2 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

In the top flight I lean more towards this sort of player- someone who can be a bit more advanced, make runs from deeper to support Pukki and give the fullbacks/wider midfielders options for pull backs when they get space in wider areas but also the energy and ability to form a solid deeper midfield 3 when we lose the ball and need to be solid. Not necessarily a classic number 10 who is supposed to pull the strings and create chances ala Wes or Maddison.

I think we should have a look at Robin Lod. He is physical, has high work rate, can play in all attacking positions and his interplay with Pukki is really good. Hard pressing, capable to run with ball and good passer. I think he could play bit similar way as Stiepi, but just be bit better in about all aspects (and quite a bit better on technique). Currently plays in MLS and his salary should be around the level that we could pay for starting eleven player in EPL. I think his contract expires in end of the year (at least based on transfermarkt), so the price tag might also be in suitable region.

Maybe not surprisingly, Pukki named him when asked in interview of who of his national team team-mate he would like to see playing for City.

Edited by hepphep

36 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You're quite right. What are tatics?

I was only joking. They don't really exist. Just like positions.

21 minutes ago, hepphep said:

I think we should have a look at Robin Lod. He is physical, has high work rate, can play in all attacking positions and his interplay with Pukki is really good. Hard pressing, capable to run with ball and good passer. I think he could play bit similar way as Stiepi, but just be bit better in about all aspects (and quite a bit better on technique). Currently plays in MLS and his salary should be around the level that we could pay for starting eleven player in EPL. I think his contract expires in end of the year (at least based on transfermarkt), so the price tag might also be in suitable region.

Maybe not surprisingly, Pukki named him when asked in interview of who of his national team team-mate he would like to see playing for City.

Is he Premier League quality? Could be a typically off the wall signing for us.

23 minutes ago, hepphep said:

I think we should have a look at Robin Lod

Does he ride through the Glen, with his band of men?

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

Is he Premier League quality? Could be a typically off the wall signing for us.

There is of course possibility for that as he has not played Premier League or in any top 5 leagues of Europe. However, he is really experienced in international level and seems to be able to also compete well against the "better sides" such as for example Italy in Euro qualifiers.

In a way, I see that we will not have cash to splash to player who is both good and proven in Premier League, so we need to take some level of risk in any case to fill that position. I think there is decent Premier quality player there to catch and this time not with bad injury record, but having constantly playing on decent level and in national team level. And if Pukki has hunch that he could make it, I think he could be card to take a look at.

2 minutes ago, hepphep said:

There is of course possibility for that as he has not played Premier League or in any top 5 leagues of Europe. However, he is really experienced in international level and seems to be able to also compete well against the "better sides" such as for example Italy in Euro qualifiers.

In a way, I see that we will not have cash to splash to player who is both good and proven in Premier League, so we need to take some level of risk in any case to fill that position. I think there is decent Premier quality player there to catch and this time not with bad injury record, but having constantly playing on decent level and in national team level. And if Pukki has hunch that he could make it, I think he could be card to take a look at.

Maybe we should get Glen Kamara as well!

2 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

Maybe we should get Glen Kamara as well!

I'd expect Kamara to move to bigger Premier League club during summer, so he might be out of our reach. He already has quality to play in some of the top teams there and Rangers will likely be selling him for reasonable sum.

But if we could get him, there are not many that we could sign that I would be more excited about.

• Like 1

Imagine the headlines if we got Lod! 

Finnish finisher's friend from foreign faction forms Farke’s fantasy Finnish forward finnishing fellowship 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Imagine the headlines if we got Lod! 

Finnish finisher's friend from foreign faction forms Farke’s fantasy Finnish forward finnishing fellowship 

The possibilities are endless to be honest.

Plays out wide? Wide Lod.

Gets dropped? Farke drops his Lod

Does an awareness campaign for testicular cancer? Lod of ****

2 minutes ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

When I saw the subject title I thought that the fat blond pig had resigned, or been arrested for compulsive lying. Oh well, never mind. Maybe next time.

Sorry to get your hopes up THB.