Sign in to follow this  
CobblersCanary

Mitrovic

Can't believe he's only 26. He's caused us some damage in the past. 

He's a nightmare for most central defenders. 

Wouldn't mind him at the club but he wouldn't play with any heart and we can't afford his salary. 

He's not really our sort of player to be honest. He's a big handful, no doubt. But we would have to change the way we play to use his strengths. 

I'd rather see us sign a player with more technical quality. 

5 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

He's not really our sort of player to be honest. He's a big handful, no doubt. But we would have to change the way we play to use his strengths. 

I'd rather see us sign a player with more technical quality. 

Tbf, neither is Hugill

Wages are too high. Could be entertaining watching Hernandez or Placheta trying to find him though.

I'm confused as to where all the talk of an attitude problem comes from- he was an absolute wild card in his younger days but everything I've seen of him since then suggests he's settled down a bit more and I haven't seen any suggestion that he's kicked off about being on the bench for Fulham of late.

Saying that, he'd likely cost a bomb and wouldn't be an ideal alternative to Pukki as they play the game very differently. Lookman, who Fulham have on loan, would be an excellent addition though. 

If we want big out and out centre forward then Sam Gallagher would be my preference.

It's not our style of play so won't start but off the bench he'd be a handful and wouldn't cost anything like what Mitrovic would.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm confused as to where all the talk of an attitude problem comes from- he was an absolute wild card in his younger days but everything I've seen of him since then suggests he's settled down a bit more and I haven't seen any suggestion that he's kicked off about being on the bench for Fulham of late.

Saying that, he'd likely cost a bomb and wouldn't be an ideal alternative to Pukki as they play the game very differently. Lookman, who Fulham have on loan, would be an excellent addition though. 

Could be difficult to finance on loan, not sure what his wages are. Good shout in playing terms though.

Although I like Pukki we do need an alternative / complimentary striker - somebody with aerial ability who will put the ball and goalie if necessary both in the back of the net. Holt poached / scored 20 odd goals in the EPL doing just this. 

Presently we are playing with one hand tied behind our back when it comes to aerial crosses.

Edited by Yellow Fever
Could be Jordan ?

27 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

If we want big out and out centre forward then Sam Gallagher would be my preference.

It's not our style of play so won't start but off the bench he'd be a handful and wouldn't cost anything like what Mitrovic would.

With his goal scoring record, 12 goals in 75 games for Blackburn, not exactly prolific. Whether people like it or not Hugill will be that type of player for us next season, if we sign anyone it will be a striker more like Pukki.

Mitrovic on his day and motivated is unplayable, he’s very talented, but as Oliviera just has such temperament which would only cause us more issues than it’s worth. Great player when he wants to be, but certainly not for us.

17 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

With his goal scoring record, 12 goals in 75 games for Blackburn, not exactly prolific. Whether people like it or not Hugill will be that type of player for us next season, if we sign anyone it will be a striker more like Pukki.

It's not about being prolific as not many  strikers like that are and the ones that are will cost a lot more than we have.

It's about having an option to change the way in which we play.

I don't necessarily disagree re Hugill but I was replying to the comment about Mitrovic.

I think Idah has the ability to be a useful option from the bench.

Never really rated him, just a modern day bully rather than a good footballer 

I think its interesting to look at the hit rate for clubs signing strikers from the Championship of late as it seems pretty good compared to expensive signings from other leagues.

Watkins and Maupay for example have stepped up, Bowen has become a key part of West Ham's team, (although not in a striker role admittedly), Chris Wood has been a solid player for Burnley, Callum Wilson is Newcatles best striker when fit and Che Adams has become an important player for Southampton. McBurnie has struggled though, although that whole team has.

Compare that to the like of Haller, Joelinton and Wesley who all cost big sums and haven't looked like good fits at all. 

8 minutes ago, king canary said:

I think its interesting to look at the hit rate for clubs signing strikers from the Championship of late as it seems pretty good compared to expensive signings from other leagues.

Watkins and Maupay for example have stepped up, Bowen has become a key part of West Ham's team, (although not in a striker role admittedly), Chris Wood has been a solid player for Burnley, Callum Wilson is Newcatles best striker when fit and Che Adams has become an important player for Southampton. McBurnie has struggled though, although that whole team has.

Compare that to the like of Haller, Joelinton and Wesley who all cost big sums and haven't looked like good fits at all. 

What price on Idah or Soto making the step up? Woods struggled at first reminds me a bit of Soto.

I’m with others there’s very slim chance Hugill will make the step up and we need a decent option for Pukki, but who can we buy for our budget? Who is there any better than Idah at say 10 million?

Just look at Brewster, 18 million plus add ons wasn’t he?

Edited by Indy

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Although I like Pukki we do need an alternative / complimentary striker - somebody with aerial ability who will put the ball and goalie if necessary both in the back of the net. Holt poached / scored 20 odd goals in the EPL doing just this. 

Presently we are playing with one hand tied behind our back when it comes to aerial crosses.

Well at least it reduces the chance of being accused of handball.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Who says Fulham are coming down?

I thought they were going to stay up but the loss to Villa changed my mind.

13 hours ago, Chelm Canary said:

Can't believe he's only 26. He's caused us some damage in the past. 

He's a nightmare for most central defenders. 

Wouldn't mind him at the club but he wouldn't play with any heart and we can't afford his salary. 

I thought you were joking when you said he was only 26.  Seems like he has been around for ever.  He just must've always looked older than he actually is.

Never going to happen.  Even forgetting his wages, he's under contract until 2024 and Fulham paid over £20 million for him.

I do however think he could do a job for us.  Can imagine Buendia would link up well with him and if we ever played 2 up top Mitrovic and Pukki on their day would cause any defence no end of nightmares, especially with the likes of Buendia and Cantwell supporting them.