Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

I love our squad of players

18 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Agent Mullet!

I'd make a brilliant Agent. The club would be history in two seasons

Edited by Mullet

27 minutes ago, daly said:

The fact is he’s not fitted into NCFC’ style of play and most definitely is not a Premiership footballer 

He wasn’t purchased to “fit into our statue of play” though was he? He was purchased to offer a plan B in case we needed to stick crosses into the box aiming at the big man. The fact is we have only played THAT plan B style in one game this season and Hugill scored twice in it. I don’t see how people can criticise him based on the limited minutes he’s played.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, Mullet said:

I'm 51 years old. My back has gone, both ankles are shot and I'm as blind as a bat. I couldn't do any worse could I 

Sounds better than what they currently have.

19 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Ok, but best to avoid jokes like this given City's very prominent views on equality. I get the feeling it wouldn't make too many of the "Proud Canaries" laugh.

Point taken

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

He wasn’t purchased to “fit into our statue of play” though was he? He was purchased to offer a plan B in case we needed to stick crosses into the box aiming at the big man. The fact is we have only played THAT plan B style in one game this season and Hugill scored twice in it. I don’t see how people can criticise him based on the limited minutes he’s played.

A lot of fans jump to Hugills defence stating that he has had limited game time and it is unfair to judge based on that.

How about the limited game time for Omabamidele, Mumba, Quintilla, Stiepermann, Barden and Sorenson who hadn't played in midfield until last week. They all had little or no first team game time and have all been excellent when called upon.

Hugill doesn't offer us anything for our preferred style of play which we play 98% of the time, or in his hold up play in a plan B.

His lack of playing time doesn't hold any water he has played enough senior football over the years compared to those named above but honestly gives us nothing.

Some people will stick by him no matter what which is fine. I have higher expectations for a team that will playing against some of the worlds best next season

Hugill played well when he had a little run of games. Remember him getting loads of stick after the first game after doing nothing wrong and lots ate humble pie the game after.

The OP is ridiculously over the top, he is very well liked within the squad and will be with us next season as our plan B option, although I fully expect us to sign someone who can compete with Pukki for plan A.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Coneys Knee said:

that is one thing I thought Jordan Rhodes did superbly. Holding up the ball late on and winning free kicks. 

If you watched that highlight video of all our goals after 90 mins in the promotion season when we were chasing goals - Rhodes was essential to that, scoring assisting or generally making a nuisance of himself. 

28 minutes ago, king canary said:

If we can add another striker I've got no problem with JH as a 3rd choice striker next season. I wouldn't want him as our backup as I don't think his style of player and ability allow him to ever put any real pressure on Pukki but as an option off the bench, we'd struggle to get much better without shelling out quite a bit of cash.

This is how I see it too. Hugill can basically play the role Srbeny played last time in the Premier League, with someone better than Drmic to challenge Pukki.

He's a lovely chap but I'd only want him as 3rd choice striker.

Unless Adam comes on in leaps & bounds (though he has the potential to do so) finding that backup/competition is going to be really really hard.

Edited by ron obvious

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

You do know the ‘Premiership’ is what they call it in rugby and the SPL, don’t you?  In England we have the Premier League. 

Certainly a nitpicking there god help your missus

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

A lot of fans jump to Hugills defence stating that he has had limited game time and it is unfair to judge based on that.

How about the limited game time for Omabamidele, Mumba, Quintilla, Stiepermann, Barden and Sorenson who hadn't played in midfield until last week. They all had little or no first team game time and have all been excellent when called upon.

Hugill doesn't offer us anything for our preferred style of play which we play 98% of the time, or in his hold up play in a plan B.

His lack of playing time doesn't hold any water he has played enough senior football over the years compared to those named above but honestly gives us nothing.

Some people will stick by him no matter what which is fine. I have higher expectations for a team that will playing against some of the worlds best next season

He's literally getting about 90 seconds in a game in being brought on in injury time to run down the clock.....whats he supposed to do?

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

He's literally getting about 90 seconds in a game in being brought on in injury time to run down the clock.....whats he supposed to do?

Score a hat trick, by the sound of it!

• Haha 1

Its very clear that we cannot go into the Prem with what we have so we have to improve it. I guess that may limit H, as he is now known, and his chances of playing. Not his fault.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I can't think of any other player In any league including non league who's sole purpose is to play 90 seconds at the end of a game, and when you get the ball instead of holding onto it you give it away for opposition to go score. Thats about what he achieved against Preston. 

He's scored a couple of goals for us that's not a good return for 5 million. West Ham could see it Preston and QPR but no-one on here

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Score a hat trick, by the sound of it!

I think you're missing the point. Instead of looking at that he only gets 90 seconds per game what's he supposed to do. Ask yourself why is he only getting 90 seconds per game? 

He trains every day, Farke see's what he capable of, he should be pushing Pukki for a place. Instead of that he gets 90 seconds that says everything. It's not bad luck that he plays so little it's totally down to him not being good enough 

I'm not going to judge him on what we've seen so far but I have to be honest that him starting in the Prem if Pukki got injured does not inspire much confidence.

On a slight tangent, but I wonder if we secure promotion in short order Pukki will get a rest and him or Idah will get a chance to impress before the Prem?

3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Yeah, I think people forget that towards the end of our Championship winning season Reading/Wigan/Sheffield Wednesday worked out how to play against us by defending deep, keeping the midfield and defence close to together, not giving us any space to play through in the middle of the pitch and forcing us wide, knowing we didn't have any real height in the team. We didn't have any counter to those tactics then.

I think this season we've been able to handle those kinds of situations better. We concede less and control the game more, so it's rare that we're chasing the game. Pukki was able to find a yard of space against Sheffield Wednesday, even playing against three centre backs, because Todd Cantwell made a run and then retreated which pulled one of them out of position and created the space for Pukki.

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

Exactly! Plan A has been so successful we have not needed to resort to plan B. However when we did play to Hugill's strength he scored with a superb header. Frankly I trust Farke to know exactly what role he foresees for Hugill, and it doesn't stretch the imagination too far to contemplate a role for him coming on late as balls are lofted into the box. 

@horseplay - crikey - not a nice thought ! - you having your evening shower, closing your eyes imagining Bobby Ewing in there with you and all the rest...

I think Hugill is pretty awful and I wouldn't want him anywhere near our match squad next season. However, practically everything you have said in this thread is rubbish. He didn't do anything wrong against Preston and to single him out is baffling and shows you up more than it does Hugill. 

Whilst I do not rate Hugill, at all, I wholeheartedly trust Farke and if he thinks he's worthy of a place in the squad, that's good enough for me.

I don’t think, in all honesty, I’ve seen enough of Hugill to make a call. What I would say is that I’m not sure he’s a “deputy” for Pukki, he hasn’t shown the movement or nous to suggest he is. He’s a different type of striker, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But...

Our plan B is to do plan A better. We rarely, if ever, resort to pumping it long, winning a header and gambling on second balls. We trust the method. We trust that movement and technical ability will pull players out of position and we will create chances through intricate play. That’s fine at Championship level because our players are, generally speaking, superior to their opponents. The same won’t be true, again, in the Premier League. Supposing we do go up (even I’ll erupt if we blow it from here) there will be occasions where perhaps we DO have to adopt a more direct, robust approach to try and nick something from a game we’re losing. Chucking Hugill on and having Pukki try and pick up the pieces might be of more value. If we maintain the current approach, maybe not. I wouldn’t jettison him just yet. 

I don't really see it as a positive just because he didn't do anything wrong. And in fact his only contribution was to pass the ball straight to Preston to go on the attack and nearly score. 

Does Farke see him has worthy of a place in the squad or have no choice but to put him in? we aren't exactly blessed with strikers

6 minutes ago, Duncan Edwards said:

I don’t think, in all honesty, I’ve seen enough of Hugill to make a call. What I would say is that I’m not sure he’s a “deputy” for Pukki, he hasn’t shown the movement or nous to suggest he is. He’s a different type of striker, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But...

Our plan B is to do plan A better. We rarely, if ever, resort to pumping it long, winning a header and gambling on second balls. We trust the method. We trust that movement and technical ability will pull players out of position and we will create chances through intricate play. That’s fine at Championship level because our players are, generally speaking, superior to their opponents. The same won’t be true, again, in the Premier League. Supposing we do go up (even I’ll erupt if we blow it from here) there will be occasions where perhaps we DO have to adopt a more direct, robust approach to try and nick something from a game we’re losing. Chucking Hugill on and having Pukki try and pick up the pieces might be of more value. If we maintain the current approach, maybe not. I wouldn’t jettison him just yet. 

Excellent point, I can't remember us humping it long under Farke and I doubt he would ever resort to playing that way even if losing so I can't see Hugill as a good fit for us even at this level. Hump it long football died along while ago, most teams are trying to play out from the back so someone like Hugill surely has to adapt their game or get left behind.

It will be very interesting to see how things develop over the summer. I'm sure we'll need to let players go as well as recruit. I'd be getting JH off the wage bill that's for sure

54 minutes ago, Mullet said:

Excellent point, I can't remember us humping it long under Farke and I doubt he would ever resort to playing that way even if losing so I can't see Hugill as a good fit for us even at this level. Hump it long football died along while ago, most teams are trying to play out from the back so someone like Hugill surely has to adapt their game or get left behind.

It will be very interesting to see how things develop over the summer. I'm sure we'll need to let players go as well as recruit. I'd be getting JH off the wage bill that's for sure

Just to be transparent, the late equaliser against the scum was an occasion where we threw the kitchen sink. The goal came from having both centre halves up top. In mitigation, I’d say we’ve evolved a long way from that day. 

13 hours ago, Mullet said:

I'm 51 years old. My back has gone, both ankles are shot and I'm as blind as a bat. I couldn't do any worse could I 

I see, fancy yourself as an impact Sub.

It's been a long time since they had an impact anything tbh, so they'd snap your hands off.

7 hours ago, Mullet said:

Then you'd be making a mistake. Jordan Hugill has performed the Jordan Rhodes role admirably. When he's brought on, I see a player who fights, who offers more for the club than most and whose movement works well with the fluid, more counter attacking style that's worked so well for this club this season. I would like to see a more like for like alternative for Teemu Pukki at the club next season, irrespective of the division we find ourselves in, but I'm encouraged by what I've seen from Hugill.

10 hours ago, Mullet said:

I can't think of any other player In any league including non league who's sole purpose is to play 90 seconds at the end of a game, and when you get the ball instead of holding onto it you give it away for opposition to go score. Thats about what he achieved against Preston. 

This is getting ridiculous now. Are you really suggesting that this is the role Webber and Farke bought him for? As has been stated ad nauseum, he was bought to provide the focal point for an entirely different plan B strategy; that we haven't needed to employ that strategy is the result of the overwhelming success of Plan A. Are you actually claiming that Farke was wrong to have prepared for a very different plan B, and buying a player appropriate for that plan? 

Absolutely we will need another like-for-like striker who can compete with/replace Pukki as a part of our plan A strategy, but I would be very surprised if Farke decides we will not need to retain Hugill for plan B.

The idea that Hugill was responsible for the late goal conceded against Preston is without any foundation whatsoever. And I note you make no mention of the goal scored in the last minutes against Birmingham when Hugill made an excellent clearance header in our own penalty box then bombed forward to be available to score at the other end (Rupp passed to Skipp instead but could easily have passed left for Hugill to score).  That's what he achieved against Birmingham.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mullet said:

He's scored a couple of goals for us that's not a good return for 5 million. West Ham could see it Preston and QPR but no-one on here

West Ham saw it so well they paid £8.5m for him.

QPR saw it so well they tried to sign him this summer but got beaten by us.

I don't think Hugill is all that great but you don't half talk some rot. 

• Like 1