Jersey Canary

CB’s for next season

Not saying Omabamidele is the answer but he looks a hell of a prospect. I'd be in favour of him going out on loan next year and getting some mens football behind him. Not many players get MOTM on their debut at 18. He did incredibly well and didn't look out of place at all. Looks like a really good one for a year's time but I'd want another senior CB in for this year.

Edited by kick it off

3 hours ago, Indy said:

I think it goes without saying we will be bringing a couple youngsters through to bolster our squad, we’re already committed to £15 million spending on two players and with Covid the potential loss in revenue this season will certainly mean our self sufficient model won’t have much spare cash. I’d rather keep the likes of Buendia and Cantwell this coming season, maybe Aarons will be sold.

But to think we’re suddenly going to spend millions is simply not going to happen, judging by Mumba and Omo they’re certainly good enough at this level, so I’d stick them both out on loan with a recall clause and utilise Famewo to bolster our back line. I agree that Zimbo is probably just short of the quality we need and if our scouting could get another couple decent players in at CB, holding midfield, Number 10 and a better striker than Hugill then I’d be happy.

I disagree Indy, it only makes sense to bring the youngsters through if they are going to get regular game time IMO like we’ve seen with Aarons, Cantwell, Lewis, Godfrey etc.

I think for instance we made a mistake not letting Idah out on loan this season. He’s got a few important goals admittedly but he’s been a bit part player. If he’d gone somewhere he was playing day in day out he may have really kicked on.

This is an even bigger issue in the PL, if your youngsters aren’t starting or at least getting regular minutes how are they going to develop?

Having a youngster as 4th choice CB seems a mistake to me thinking long term.

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

I think Burn is a decent shout, he is fourth choice at Brighton, and when does play he looks very competent.  Potter often plays him at left wing back, which looks odd, but again he does a job.

I don't think he's a bad player, but I really don't think that we would pay anything near what Brighton would ask for him - I would be surprised if Brighton even wanted to sell him - and he'll soon be 29 which is a little older than most of the players we normally bring in. 

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Davies who joined Liverpool from Preston will no doubt be available in the summer. 

Good shout. Is he good enough? I have no idea. 

Omodabile looking forward to a loan next season however impressive he is for next 7 games.  A 90 minute stint against a very poor Preston was an easy option for a CB making his full debut and to look capable was the least that could be expected.  But to expect Omo to flourish in the PL is fanciful and is not the place to learn your trade.

We should be looking for a journeyman CB with PL experience in the mould of Dawson or Jagielka.  Or a loan for an experienced CB if one is available.  Dan Burn should have been a target when he left Fulham 4 years ago and left for the Championship.  

38 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I don't think he's a bad player, but I really don't think that we would pay anything near what Brighton would ask for him - I would be surprised if Brighton even wanted to sell him - and he'll soon be 29 which is a little older than most of the players we normally bring in. 

I agree with all of that, equally if we were looking for a competent centre half we could do worse.

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

I disagree Indy, it only makes sense to bring the youngsters through if they are going to get regular game time IMO like we’ve seen with Aarons, Cantwell, Lewis, Godfrey etc.

I think for instance we made a mistake not letting Idah out on loan this season. He’s got a few important goals admittedly but he’s been a bit part player. If he’d gone somewhere he was playing day in day out he may have really kicked on.

This is an even bigger issue in the PL, if your youngsters aren’t starting or at least getting regular minutes how are they going to develop?

Having a youngster as 4th choice CB seems a mistake to me thinking long term.

Bit harsh to make him play every day.....................😉

Edited by Thirsty Lizard
  • Haha 1

I think Famewo and Omobamidele would possibly be good enough for back up next year but it would be far better for them to be playing every week somewhere on loan at a decent level, their development might stall otherwise. Gibson and Hanley deserve to start the season if fit but I believe a ‘third’ choice option as good needs to be recruited with Zimmerman as fourth choice. 

• Like 1

I said it last time we were promoted and I'll say it again ... we need to spend every single penny we can on two new CBs.

Hanley should be on our bench and not a starter.

Gibson might be good enough to start but we can't take the risk of him not being so.

No one else that we have is good enough.

Sentimentality cannot win the day here I'm afraid. Our survival will largely rest on this.

4 hours ago, Newtopia said:

True, I thought he showed a lot of potential.

The two players I think we have on our books who might influence Farkes decision in this debate are Bushiri and Famewo.  Neither of them are kids anymore, and if they are going to break through they need to be one of the four going into a full season.  Famewo seems to spend a lot of time out injured, although Charlton fans really rate him.

I'd be shocked of Bushiri comes through at this point- he's still not starting for his new club on loan and he's 21 so not a fresh faced teen at this point. If you can't get into a not very good Belgian team you won't be troubling the Premier League anytime soon.

Famewo is going to be interesting- by all reports he's had a really good season but he's also now 22 so is approaching make or break with us.

1 hour ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

I said it last time we were promoted and I'll say it again ... we need to spend every single penny we can on two new CBs.

Gibson might be good enough to start but we can't take the risk of him not being so.

Sentimentality cannot win the day here I'm afraid. Our survival will largely rest on this.

image.png

That's probably true as an ideal, but it would cost a bomb and a half to sign two top players from off the shelf. I don't think we're there yet as a club, especially as there will be other areas of need. 

Nor would I wish for either Hanley or Gibson to have 'a Malky done' on them though. Sentimental, loyal, realistic?

Edited by BroadstairsR

I’m not saying they shouldn’t go out on loan, I’m saying financially we might well see one out on loan and one kept as back up. To buy another CB at premiership level would be 8 million minimum and I’m not one for loaning another premiership clubs youngster at CB rather develop ours!

Just think those who want four players, a CB, DM, Forward, Number 10 will cost a lot of money we don’t have! It might be that we are forced to use our youngsters in our squad.

2 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

You're not wrong, but I think it will be just the one CB and will be an upgrade on what we have now. 

I think we'll need 5 in total because if one of them is Zimmermann his fitness will always be a concern unfortunately. It will also give us flexibility of reverting to 5 at the back something we haven't been able to do this season.

I would go with Newbie, Gibson, Hanley, Zimmermann, Omo or Famewo.

7 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

You're not wrong, but I think it will be just the one CB and will be an upgrade on what we have now. 

I think we'll need 5 in total because if one of them is Zimmermann his fitness will always be a concern unfortunately. It will also give us flexibility of reverting to 5 at the back something we haven't been able to do this season.

I would go with Newbie, Gibson, Hanley, Zimmermann, Omo or Famewo.

Totally agree with this- Gibson and one other with Hanley as primary back up would be good. 

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Davies who joined Liverpool from Preston will no doubt be available in the summer. 

Yes I think he’d be a good shout. 

From what I have seen and heard Davies from Preston/Liverpool is supposed to be or was the best CB in the Championship according to Darragh MacAnthony.

I like the look of Dael Fry as well. They won’t cost the earth (in PL terms). We could lend Boro Famewo and Idah as a make weight.

We badly need an upgrade for the Stiepermann position. If we could afford him I’d have a look at Sigurdsson of Everton. He’s excellent on dead balls (which Buendia is definately not), he scores a few and has a good passing range. 

Backup striker, Josh King is a good shout and I would even go as far and get Defoe in. He’ll be idea to come on for the last 30 mins. Play the odd game. He’s clinical and might be up for a final hurrah!

Perfect opportunity to give Omobamidele the remaining seven games, he looked a class act against Preston and will prove a great test for him in some very pressurised matches. We learn nothing playing Tettey or  Sorensen there.

3 hours ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Not for me.

It should be every penny we have on one centre back and a defensive midfielder.

Quality cover in front of them makes mediocre centre backs look good and rubbish ones look mediocre.

21 minutes ago, Jersey Canary said:

From what I have seen and heard Davies from Preston/Liverpool is supposed to be or was the best CB in the Championship according to Darragh MacAnthony.

I like the look of Dael Fry as well. They won’t cost the earth (in PL terms). We could lend Boro Famewo and Idah as a make weight.

We badly need an upgrade for the Stiepermann position. If we could afford him I’d have a look at Sigurdsson of Everton. He’s excellent on dead balls (which Buendia is definately not), he scores a few and has a good passing range. 

Backup striker, Josh King is a good shout and I would even go as far and get Defoe in. He’ll be idea to come on for the last 30 mins. Play the odd game. He’s clinical and might be up for a final hurrah!

Good grief - I'm used to reading stuff on here which is absolutely bat sh*t crazy, but this has to be right up there with the craziest. Everton paid £45 million for him!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Good grief - I'm used to reading stuff on here which is absolutely bat sh*t crazy, but this has to be right up there with the craziest. Everton paid £45 million for him!!

4 years ago, when he was 27.

The only issue would be wages. Which would be only about 700% more than we could afford. 

29 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Sigurdsson is 32 in September so won’t be commanding a £45m price tag. By the time the summer gets here he’ll be in the last 12 months of his contract.