Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

With Omobamidele emerging and let’s assume we a) get promoted, b) he plays well for the rest of the season, do we go with Hanley, Gibson, Omobamidele and Zimbo and maybe give Tettey another year as cover and to coach the youngsters?

Or do we send Omobamidele out on loan and get someone in who has more experience?

For me, if he does do exceptionally well, especially against Watford and Bournemouth I would be inclined to keep him and save the money for a decent striker to help Pukki.

Edited by Jersey Canary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A 35 year old Tettey shouldnt even be mentioned as defensive cover in the Premier League  😲

If we leave ourselves open to a situation where we have to be playing him there...again.....we'd deserve to get relegated again.

If the last 2 seasons have taught us anything is that you cant have enough central defenders on the books!

Edited by GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming we are in the PL we’d be a bit daft not to look to improve our options - it’d be a huge step-up for either AO or AF, who might be more likely to go out on loan.  But I guess we see how it goes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we need is 1 more senior centre back to go with Hanley, Gibson and Zimbo.

I think we'll see Omobamidele go out on loan and probably Famewo also.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely anothe senior centre back required. Zimmermann has been great for us but never seems far away from an injury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it goes without saying we will be bringing a couple youngsters through to bolster our squad, we’re already committed to £15 million spending on two players and with Covid the potential loss in revenue this season will certainly mean our self sufficient model won’t have much spare cash. I’d rather keep the likes of Buendia and Cantwell this coming season, maybe Aarons will be sold.

But to think we’re suddenly going to spend millions is simply not going to happen, judging by Mumba and Omo they’re certainly good enough at this level, so I’d stick them both out on loan with a recall clause and utilise Famewo to bolster our back line. I agree that Zimbo is probably just short of the quality we need and if our scouting could get another couple decent players in at CB, holding midfield, Number 10 and a better striker than Hugill then I’d be happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our problem last time was we (this goes for us as fans and also the people running the club) were a bit naive with regards to recruitment, particularly in defence. We all thought we could get by with what we had as Godfrey and Zimmermann were a great partnership in the Championship, Hanley was club captain and Klose was the experienced one, but in hindsight, we should've signed a quality centre back.

I feel it's the same this time: Gibson is probably good enough, Hanley has always had question marks at Premier League level but has certainly improved, Zimmermann is backup at best and asking Omobamidele to step up in the Premier League may be too much, too soon. I echo the sentiments of pretty much everyone in the Omobamidele would benefit from regular football in the EFL instead of being backup here and the other three need a quality addition alongside them.

For me, a central midfielder is the top priority and centre back is the second.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omobamidele looked like he would be good enough for the bench next season. Let Zimmo move on and grab a senior Premier ready replacement. Oh that was Gibson wasn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key to the strength of our defence next season will be who ends up filling Skipp’s boots.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jersey Canary said:

With Omobamidele emerging and let’s assume we a) get promoted, b) he plays well for the rest of the season, do we go with Hanley, Gibson, Omobamidele and Zimbo and maybe give Tettey another year as cover and to coach the youngsters?

Or do we send Omobamidele out on loan and get someone in who has more experience?

For me, if he does do exceptionally well, especially against Watford and Bournemouth I would be inclined to keep him and save the money for a decent striker to help Pukki.

Zimmermann seems to pick up niggling injuries ever since the summer after we got promoted. Hanleys injury record barring this season hasnt been great. Gibson has picked up 2 or 3 injuries this season. We 100% have to be signing another one.

We cant have another season relying on makeshift centre backs as we all know how that ended. I'd like to think we learnt from our last spell in the top flight.

Obomabamidele will probably get the remaining 7 games to prove hes ready to provide cover next season, if not then I'm sure it will be Famewo who seems to have impressed at Charlton this season (when hes been fit). Klose done an interview when he left to join Basel and spoke very highly of Famewo.

5 CBs of Hanley, Gibson, NEW CB, Zimmermann, Famewo/Omobamidele

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

The key to the strength of our defence next season will be who ends up filling Skipp’s boots.

100% that's an area that needs sorting. Skipp returning to Spurs, Tettey out of contract, leaves us with McLean, Sorensen & Rupp.

In reality we probably need 6/7 new players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

100% that's an area that needs sorting. Skipp returning to Spurs, Tettey out of contract, leaves us with McLean, Sorensen & Rupp.

In reality we probably need 6/7 new players. 

RB if Aaron's goes.

LB cover if Mcallum isnt up to it.

CB, competition for Hanley/Gibson

CDM, replace Skipp

No10, an upgrade on what we have

Winger, An upgrade on Placheta/Hernandez

Striker, A pukki alternative, Hugill will come in handy in some games, bringing on, but we need someone who can do Pukki's job if he hits a lean patch like last time or gets injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He will but Liverpool always get big money for players they sell, I was suspicious at the time when they signed him. Probably be sold for £10m in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would assume that we'll get another loan-to-buy CB in the summer, who we sign permanently if we stay up. 

If we we get relegated again, we'll have Famewo and Omombamidele as ready-made options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go with the youngsters. As they progress into next season, they will benefit from being with a PL squad and seeing PL teams every week. They will get chances to play in cup games so will be ready to step in to the league if there are injuries to the older players.  If you are good enough you are old enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s safe to say finances will decide which youngsters are here and which go out on loan, absolutely no point in spending money on journeymen pros who command big wages but are just mercenaries when you can get just as much out of a good youngster.

If the quality is available at a price in our budgets than great, if not I’m with Lakey go with what we have, develop our own through the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's cool our jets a touch on Omobamidele. He's played 90 minutes of football and looked good but one decent game shouldn't be changing our recruitment plans.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I'd go with the youngsters. As they progress into next season, they will benefit from being with a PL squad and seeing PL teams every week. They will get chances to play in cup games so will be ready to step in to the league if there are injuries to the older players.  If you are good enough you are old enough.

This isnt a league where you are coming up against Scott Hogan and Ched Evans, this is some of the best players in the world. We can't just be putting in inexperienced players and hoping for the best. Aaron's, Lewis, Godfrey etc had all come off the back of a full season playing week in week out in the championship, not just a handful of games. We need to be ready this time round and giving ourselves a handy cap by not getting recruitment right. Look at our summer recruitment last time in the prem.

Fahrmann (Loan ended early)

Amadou (Loan ended early)

Roberts (Loan ended early)

Drmic (Didnt work out)

Byram (good player,terrible injury record)

We can't afford to go up this time around and recruitment working out that badly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

CC's weird obsession.

I think Burn is a decent shout, he is fourth choice at Brighton, and when does play he looks very competent.  Potter often plays him at left wing back, which looks odd, but again he does a job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, king canary said:

Let's cool our jets a touch on Omobamidele. He's played 90 minutes of football and looked good but one decent game shouldn't be changing our recruitment plans.

True, I thought he showed a lot of potential.

The two players I think we have on our books who might influence Farkes decision in this debate are Bushiri and Famewo.  Neither of them are kids anymore, and if they are going to break through they need to be one of the four going into a full season.  Famewo seems to spend a lot of time out injured, although Charlton fans really rate him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

This isnt a league where you are coming up against Scott Hogan and Ched Evans, this is some of the best players in the world. We can't just be putting in inexperienced players and hoping for the best. Aaron's, Lewis, Godfrey etc had all come off the back of a full season playing week in week out in the championship, not just a handful of games. We need to be ready this time round and giving ourselves a handy cap by not getting recruitment right. Look at our summer recruitment last time in the prem.

Fahrmann (Loan ended early)

Amadou (Loan ended early)

Roberts (Loan ended early)

Drmic (Didnt work out)

Byram (good player,terrible injury record)

We can't afford to go up this time around and recruitment working out that badly.

 

Agree recruitment could have been better, but I think what the above list shows is that we need players who can fit in straight away with the way Farke sets us out to play and that is not easy to do. Giannoulis fitted into things almost straight away so that is good. Not easy to find centre backs who will fit in straight away though and using young players isn't just making do - it is asking them to step up.  If Omo carries on to the end of the season in fine form as he started, then he will be an asset. Famewo is touted as being an excellent prospect too and I am in favour of getting young ones in sooner rather than later. As Aarons has proved, youth is not a problem if you are good enough and have a steady head on your shoulders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree recruitment could have been better, but I think what the above list shows is that we need players who can fit in straight away with the way Farke sets us out to play and that is not easy to do. Giannoulis fitted into things almost straight away so that is good. Not easy to find centre backs who will fit in straight away though and using young players isn't just making do - it is asking them to step up.  If Omo carries on to the end of the season in fine form as he started, then he will be an asset. Famewo is touted as being an excellent prospect too and I am in favour of getting young ones in sooner rather than later. As Aarons has proved, youth is not a problem if you are good enough and have a steady head on your shoulders.

I agree regarding Aaron's, but it doesnt always work like that with young players. Aaron's has been a freak really as hes barely had a bad game or made a mistake in 3 years, that cant be said for the other younger ones we've had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Move Klose said:

I agree regarding Aaron's, but it doesnt always work like that with young players. Aaron's has been a freak really as hes barely had a bad game or made a mistake in 3 years, that cant be said for the other younger ones we've had.

Godfrey also came in and hit the ground running in the championship once he got his chance and Omo - judging from his interview after the last match - looks a very level headed character too.  He has got his chance and it is up to him to make the best of it and follow in Aarons' and Godfrey's footsteps and if he does well, then he could well make the step up next season too. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Godfrey also came in and hit the ground running in the championship once he got his chance and Omo - judging from his interview after the last match - looks a very level headed character too.  He has got his chance and it is up to him to make the best of it and follow in Aarons' and Godfrey's footsteps and if he does well, then he could well make the step up next season too. 

Fingers crossed he has good run in side.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Godfrey also came in and hit the ground running in the championship once he got his chance and Omo - judging from his interview after the last match - looks a very level headed character too.  He has got his chance and it is up to him to make the best of it and follow in Aarons' and Godfrey's footsteps and if he does well, then he could well make the step up next season too. 

Thing is Godfrey had made 85+ games in "mens" football before playing in the premier league for us. We are judging Obomabamidele off of 1 full 90 minutes. Lets see how the next 7 go first.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...