Sign in to follow this  
nevermind, neoliberalism has had it

kill the bill demonstration

Yesterday some 3-400 people demonstrated peacefully outside City Hall and then proceeded to march through the City in a non violent manner.

I left early as my DVT was giving me Gibb, but was surprised that some loon had scribbled on the war memorial in an agent provocateur type fashion. This was about the dastardly bill which will stop our democracy, by setting us and the right to demonstrate our differences, publicly, back by 200 years. In a reply to the EDP, who I gave a statement and picture to, I wrote this clarification.

'to Norfolk's people

I would like to clarify that the vast majority of demonstrators from all walks of life yesterday were non violent and peaceful. That there was one person, who, sitting on the left side of the memorial, for one of other reason did not like to be photographed by a bystander and complained about it.
Secondly, the inscriptions on my hat said 'stop the western link' referring to the ecological and gross polluting NCC plans that we should continue to build roads through a pristine wet land and forests, supplying Norwich with drinking water, as well as being the maternity roosts for Barbastelle bats, for a very long time.
Myself, and dare I say, the vast majority who ended up peacefully marching through Norwich, did not identify with such agent provocateur type action of a lone individual, these people have fallen for us in two world wars, including for our right to demonstrate against such medieval proposal being whipped through the HoC, using pandemic emergency laws to pervert democracy at its heart. '

We are now at a point in time that is akin to 1933 when AH by stealth and much oratory and edicts took over the Reichstag, what follows is up to each of us. Do write to your MP's during this election and tell him what you think about free speech and your rights to demonstrate your rights to freely and peacefully demonstrate your thoughts on a matter, before its too late.

Agreed NN, the right to peaceful protest underpins democracy. If this Bill was being proposed in Russia, those backing it here would be condemning it there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I wonder where this performative statue policing is coming from?? Is it D!ck or from Patel or higher? It's pretty transparent though and only aimed at getting the far right on the government's side. Pretty sad how low the country is being dragged.

While I think it is right to march and protest this bill, I'm not convinced this the right time.

But would happily join in a bit of civil disobedience when the time is right. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

While I think it is right to march and protest this bill, I'm not convinced this the right time.

But would happily join in a bit of civil disobedience when the time is right. 

Could be the reason the cynical sods are pushing it through now. They know there are thousands against it but also uncomfortable with the social mingling that protesting will involve. A rum bunch this government.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Herman said:

Could be the reason the cynical sods are pushing it through now. They know there are thousands against it but also uncomfortable with the social mingling that protesting will involve. A rum bunch this government.

I think you are right about the timing and that is why civil disobedience would be a justified reaction.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I think you are right about the timing and that is why civil disobedience would be a justified reaction.

Seems to me that this government is looking for a fight, or more accurately several fights, with its citizens and the way things are shaping up it is quite likely to get one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Seems to me that this government is looking for a fight, or more accurately several fights, with its citizens and the way things are shaping up it is quite likely to get one.

Its an old ploy but I'm not sure Boris has the bottle. He wants to be popular. He hates people not liking him.

But he is like Cameron and caught between two stools. The right wing of the party are pushing hard because of their massive majority and the insipid SKS.

12 hours ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Thatcher managed 10 years using exactly the same technique. Although this time round the opposition isn't as awful as it was then

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Thatcher managed 10 years using exactly the same technique. Although this time round the opposition isn't as awful as it was then

And she gave away little sweeteners such as Gas and Housing. Today the Tories are disposing the assets, such as RBS, and other banking gains, to their pals in the banking industry first and foremost, before anybody else sees a snip of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

And she gave away little sweeteners such as Gas and Housing. Today the Tories are disposing the assets, such as RBS, and other banking gains, to their pals in the banking industry first and foremost, before anybody else sees a snip of it.

And sold council houses which made millions of people able to access what they had never managed before. One fell swoop and the Tory votes swell.

• Like 1

I'm a bit concerned about these protests, so I have signed up with this lot

image.thumb.png.888b399819096173fdef3da6e5806dd5.png

Edited by Bill
  • Haha 1