I know I shouldn’t have but I took a look on a couple of Norwich fans pages on fb and am baffled by the number of threads critising Pukki. He’s not good enough, doesn’t take enough chances and needs to be 2nd striker (at best) in the PL.

What I see is a striker who makes fantastic runs, his movement off the ball is superb and his goal scoring record speaks for itself (2 goals in every 3 I believe). He also does an unbelievable amount of tracking back for someone that is more often than not making exhaustive runs to score his goals. A fantastic player and servant to the club.

There was some common sense spoken but the vast majority was in agreement that Pukki isn’t good enough. Starting this thread to get the Pinkuns thoughts as surely I can’t be in the minority that believes he’s one of the best strikers we’ve had at the club and will deservedly be our main striker next season (with some new backup to keep him on his toes).

99% of fans will recognise him for what he is - a player that could easily be playing for a bigger club than us, who we'll look back in years to come as one of the best forwards we've ever had.

There's always a few morons on the internet who will come out with anything for attention though.

• Like 2

You are falling victim to assessing fan's  thoughts on Pukki based on primacy bias. He had a bad game. A lot of people will then make judgement of his ability to perform at a higher level based on this, yet will stay silent when he plays blinders because it's only championship level. It's  a mugs game to engage with such people.

Pukki is a fine striker, but an even better all round attacker for the reasons you just mentioned. He's fit, has an excellent attitude, is well liked by his peers and the majority of fans can see what he offers. Let's not kowtow to the vociferous minority who's opinions are like ar$holes.

Edited by CanaryChris

1 hour ago, Fiery Zac said:

I know I shouldn’t have but I took a look on a couple of Norwich fans pages on fb and am baffled by the number of threads critising Pukki. He’s not good enough, doesn’t take enough chances and needs to be 2nd striker (at best) in the PL.

What I see is a striker who makes fantastic runs, his movement off the ball is superb and his goal scoring record speaks for itself (2 goals in every 3 I believe). He also does an unbelievable amount of tracking back for someone that is more often than not making exhaustive runs to score his goals. A fantastic player and servant to the club.

There was some common sense spoken but the vast majority was in agreement that Pukki isn’t good enough. Starting this thread to get the Pinkuns thoughts as surely I can’t be in the minority that believes he’s one of the best strikers we’ve had at the club and will deservedly be our main striker next season (with some new backup to keep him on his toes).

Ha ha we have some weird fickle fans but then every club has I guess. All strikers miss more shots than they score, the only one I remember who rarely missed the actual target was Marco Van Basten but then he’s as good a classic number 9 as the world has ever seen. 

Let’s not forget, if Teemu didn’t bust his toe last season, then he gets to 20 goals + in the Premier League based on the first half of the seasons showing. In some ways though I’m pleased he did or otherwise we wouldn’t (likely) be having as good a season as we are now, and winning a game in the Championship doesn’t feel any less of a buzz to me than winning a game in the Premier League.

• Like 1

Idiots who criticise Teemu Pukki clearly know nothing of the bad times.

What do they expect? A £25m+ striker? Perhaps they would like Ivan Toni for more than that or even Sarr for £40m? 

They (whoever) have had it too good in recent times and their expectations are unrealistic. We are what we are and the top twenty-six status of recent seasons is about right and suits me fine. With the likes of Pukki in the ranks we could aim that bit higher for a while at least.

Everything about Pukki is exceptional in my book. He is high on my list of favourite all-time City strikers ... and there's a considerable list of worthies to consider over a considerable amount of time.

Like Grant Holt, cometh the time, cometh the man. We have been fortunate.

Not only is he a prolific goalscorer, he is also an exemplary pro, in my book.

Of course he is not out of the Premier League top drawer, but neither is NCFC.

Dreaming is one thing, unrealistic expectations are another.

We will clearly need a.n. other striker for next season. TP may not have so many minutes should this signing succeed, but he will still grab vital goals.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

In some ways he's a victim of his own success. He's not as clinical as he was last time we went up but that's because he was ridiculously clinical last time.

I do think we need to add some proper competition for him next season- you can see how badly we struggled when he was off form and Drmic didn't put any pressure on him at all. But he's still an excellent striker that we're very lucky to have.

He’s good enough and he’s integral to how we play but he has missed a lot of good chances in some games and we need another viable option up front in case he has a dip in form or injury. 

Too many people over criticise players just because they make a single mistake or fail to do something that would have changed the game. I know if Pukki had scored one of those chances we would have almost certainly won, but you can’t expect a striker to score in every game regardless of how good they are.

The “Finnish Finisher’s Finishing Finished?” thread is pathetic, just created by a bad loser. What if Pukki happened to hit a hat trick against Huddersfield and bagged a brace against Derby? It really is finished isn’t it?

Edited by HazzaJet

21 minutes ago, HazzaJet said:

Too many people over criticise players just because they make a single mistake or fail to do something that would have changed the game. I know if Pukki had scored one of those chances we would have almost certainly won, but you can’t expect a striker to score in every game regardless of how good they are.

The “Finnish Finisher’s Finishing Finished?” thread is pathetic, just created by a bad loser. What if Pukki happened to hit a hat trick against Huddersfield and bagged a brace against Derby? It really is finished isn’t it?

I've always assumed that if Cambridge doesn't start a certain amount of posts a day he's not allowed any dinner.

• Haha 1

He’s a very good forward, offers goals, is a pain in the backside for defenders, has great movement and works hard for the team..... he gets himself in positions to score so often that he’s definitely good enough to play EPL regularly so it’s hard to criticise him overall.   But it’s been a bizarrre season where we’ve created so many chances yet the finishing has been pretty poor (hence the conversion rate) and why we constantly fail to put games to bed.   Teemu’s been able to get on the end of loads of those chances.... he should be well north of 30 goals by now without a doubt - he will know that.    

So many of these chances are laid on a plate by Emi (partly due to Teemu’s movement / partly Emi’s vision and skill). In the Prem of course you have to take your chances, we (and Teemu particularly) haven’t taken enough of them.    Without Emi though, Teemu’s chances to score will be dramatically reduced!    

At risk of being called out as "are you even a norwich fan" or "discrediting the club" , its a double edged sword with Pukki.

He's playing in a team who at this level are creating a huge volume of chances for him on a game by game basis , so yes he will score a decent portion , however he does miss chances, and quite a lot ..and in a fair few cases it has to be said sitters and one-on-ones that just wouldnt be associated with a top striker.

He has more than enough credit in the bank but its days like Saturday where he fluffed 4 gilt edged chances...all one on ones which perhaps has meant he hasnt played at a hogher level on his career.

Playing at a level where he could get 6 or 7 good chances in a game and scoring 1 maybe 2 is fine , but in a level such as the premier league , where you may only get 1 or 2 of those chances per game is where the problem is....and invariably he's reliant on the same kind of chances i.e as midfielder sliding in a throughball for him to run onto for a one on one.

If that service isnt there , its not as though he can compensate by scoring different types of goal, we wont see him tap one in from 6 yrds , score a header from a cross or set piece, score a 25 yd screamer..or pick the ball up from deep and beat 2 defenders before scoring.

Its a supply line that the premier league quickly found out last season and cut off.

Ultimately though , he will be looked back in NCFC's history as the man who scored the goals that got this club 2 promotions , which will carve him in folklore

9 hours ago, Fiery Zac said:

Best ignored . 

8 hours ago, CanaryChris said:

You are falling victim to assessing fan's  thoughts on Pukki based on primacy bias. He had a bad game. A lot of people will then make judgement of his ability to perform at a higher level based on this, yet will stay silent when he plays blinders because it's only championship level. It's  a mugs game to engage with such people.

Pukki is a fine striker, but an even better all round attacker for the reasons you just mentioned. He's fit, has an excellent attitude, is well liked by his peers and the majority of fans can see what he offers. Let's not kowtow to the vociferous minority who's opinions are like ar$holes.

Bravo! This is absolutely spot on.

I would say, though, I think we need someone who can genuinely push Teemu for a starting berth next season; maybe someone who can play as a 9 or a 10? If Pukki stays fit and on form he'll score plenty next season, but if he gets injured, needs a rest or his form falls off a cliff, we're going to need significantly better than Hugill or Idah to fill his boots.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Idiots who criticise Teemu Pukki clearly know nothing of the bad times.

What do they expect? A £25m+ striker? Perhaps they would like Ivan Toni for more than that or even Sarr for £40m? 

They (whoever) have had it too good in recent times and their expectations are unrealistic. We are what we are and the top twenty-six status of recent seasons is about right and suits me fine. With the likes of Pukki in the ranks we could aim that bit higher for a while at least.

Everything about Pukki is exceptional in my book. He is high on my list of favourite all-time City strikers ... and there's a considerable list of worthies to consider over a considerable amount of time.

Like Grant Holt, cometh the time, cometh the man. We have been fortunate.

Not only is he a prolific goalscorer, he is also an exemplary pro, in my book.

Of course he is not out of the Premier League top drawer, but neither is NCFC.

Dreaming is one thing, unrealistic expectations are another.

We will clearly need a.n. other striker for next season. TP may not have so many minutes should this signing succeed, but he will still grab vital goals.

After watching Toney v Huddersfield yesterday I would have Pukki over him any day of the week. In years to come history will tell us that Teemu was one of the best signings we have ever made.

I really don't see how anyone can say that Pukki isn't good enough. If I'm not mistaken, he's the fastest player in Championship history to 50 goals and his return of 11 goals in the Premier League for what was in reality a poor side is actually pretty decent, especially when he was playing through an injury for a large chunk of it.

I definitely agree with Wolf though in that he needs proper competition next season to keep him on his toes and take over when he needs a break (Pukki won't have much time off in the summer) and suffers an inevitable drop in form. Last season he only really had Drmic who was absolutely dreadful, and as a result there was nobody to take over when Pukki's form nosedived as a result of his injury. Had there been someone to come in and score goals around January time, we may have actually put up more of a fight.

Yep, I think it’s pretty clear we will need another decent striker next season, but that’s no slant on Teemu at all.

Idah I would send out on loan to the Championship for a season where he can really cut his teeth. That leaves Teemu and Jordan. Jordan is obviously a very different style striker and will be useful in certain games (I’m thinking the likes of Burnley and West Ham where we will need a bit of muscle). So we will need another decent striker to cover our backs and provide necessary competition for sure.

But as the subject is about Teemu himself, he has nothing to answer to anybody in the Premier League. He was absolutely awesome and feared by all until his toe injury midway through the season. His goal output only changed when he had to play on through injury with injections before and during games, hence why he had to play with a boot a couple of sizes larger. I would suggest injury was the reason his form dipped rather than being ‘found out’. Good strikers don’t get ‘found out’, they continue to do the business. The only thing that stops them is a dip in form or, more reasonably, injury.

It would pretty insane to actually doubt teemu pukki's ability, especially at championship level. Ridiculous record, and had we have sold him last summer to get an as good a replacement would of been way out of our price plan!

11 goals in the bottom team as well last time in the premier League isn't a bad return considering our position. Add into that the drop in form he had and it's very respectful. 

Tough one for next year, he is another 2 year older than he was last time we went up, and sadly that could be telling in terms of pace and fitness (especially given how many games he plays and the step up in speed in the premier League) it's not to say I don't think he is up to it, his movement is so clever that he doesn't solely rely on pace, but still, he is two years older. 

The trouble is, his runs are so integral to how we play play that we can't really just put another striker in there who would possibly be so readily available and within our budget or received budget (in as much as I'd assume we may look at 9/10m on a centre forward, but I really can't see us spending 20m plus on one player - sidenote: this is what we need but won't happen with the board and although I've criticised them on the past for the exact same thing I've lack of investment and not having deep enough pockets, the system put in place by Delia Webber and DF has worked wonders and been a joy to watch, so the brief of top 26 is being smashed, but top 15 may be out of reach unless serious money is thrown around, which Webber has said we cannot do but this is another convo-  

So back to the point we can't just through anyone in. Hugill was bang in form last year, but clearly his style is so different to pukki it's chalk and cheese, and sadly probably hasn't worked out for him (again you could argue we haven't played to his strength nor has he had a good run of games - and I think he has done well for himself whenever called upon, usually just to run the clock down)

So id like to ask three questions -

1. Do you think we will keep Jordan Hugill? Pro's and cons?

2. If you want to replace or support pukki with another striker (to which it would have to be someone happy to come in, be similar in style and good enough for the premier League but also happy to initially hash it out for a starting spot with pukki, or even accept he won't be a starter straight away) then who? Again I guess it's been argued that it's not our job it's the scouts but can any of us think of anyone?

3. Do we think the investment is there and delia is willing? Consider we are spending 7m on giannoulis, 9 on Gibson and spent last year 4/5 on Hugill, 20m doesn't seem crazy for a striker (and isn't in today's money but is in relation to our model)

Sorry for the essay, happy Easter xx

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise that seeing Teemu Pukki being questioned is one of *the* most ridiculous things I’ve even seen on a Norwich board to date.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

2. If you want to replace or support pukki with another striker (to which it would have to be someone happy to come in, be similar in style and good enough for the premier League but also happy to initially hash it out for a starting spot with pukki, or even accept he won't be a starter straight away) then who? Again I guess it's been argued that it's not our job it's the scouts but can any of us think of anyone?

3. Do we think the investment is there and delia is willing? Consider we are spending 7m on giannoulis, 9 on Gibson and spent last year 4/5 on Hugill, 20m doesn't seem crazy for a striker (and isn't in today's money but is in relation to our model)

1. I'd keep him. We need a third striker and it's between him and Idah, but the latter would benefit more from a loan spell for regular game time rather than ten minute cameos here. If Hugill wants to stay as third choice, and it could well be his last ever shot at the Premier League, then he'd be fine.

2 & 3. Our scouting department will have to be creative to find a bargain from overseas, as anyone from the domestic game who could realistically challenge Pukki would cost £20m. I'd like us to sign someone with a bit of pace and considering centre back and central midfield are bigger priorities I wouldn't want us to spend a massive sum on a striker. I'd say to take a punt on someone from abroad for around £5-10m and hope we get lucky.

23 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

It would pretty insane to actually doubt teemu pukki's ability, especially at championship level. Ridiculous record, and had we have sold him last summer to get an as good a replacement would of been way out of our price plan!

11 goals in the bottom team as well last time in the premier League isn't a bad return considering our position. Add into that the drop in form he had and it's very respectful. 

Tough one for next year, he is another 2 year older than he was last time we went up, and sadly that could be telling in terms of pace and fitness (especially given how many games he plays and the step up in speed in the premier League) it's not to say I don't think he is up to it, his movement is so clever that he doesn't solely rely on pace, but still, he is two years older. 

The trouble is, his runs are so integral to how we play play that we can't really just put another striker in there who would possibly be so readily available and within our budget or received budget (in as much as I'd assume we may look at 9/10m on a centre forward, but I really can't see us spending 20m plus on one player - sidenote: this is what we need but won't happen with the board and although I've criticised them on the past for the exact same thing I've lack of investment and not having deep enough pockets, the system put in place by Delia Webber and DF has worked wonders and been a joy to watch, so the brief of top 26 is being smashed, but top 15 may be out of reach unless serious money is thrown around, which Webber has said we cannot do but this is another convo-  

So back to the point we can't just through anyone in. Hugill was bang in form last year, but clearly his style is so different to pukki it's chalk and cheese, and sadly probably hasn't worked out for him (again you could argue we haven't played to his strength nor has he had a good run of games - and I think he has done well for himself whenever called upon, usually just to run the clock down)

So id like to ask three questions -

Sorry for the essay, happy Easter xx

Lots of interesting points, Neymar 👍. I fully expect us to keep Jordan, I would be amazed if he was bombed out of the club given he’s only just arrived, has done a good job when thrown on with limited match fitness in the tank, has been a match winner in several of those appearances, and probably most crucially offers something completely different to Teemu. The fact he brings camaraderie and good feeling to the squad should not be underestimated either, and won’t be by either Daniel or Stuart I’m sure. We will need that in spades next season. And when you play a target man like that, then you also need a great crosser of the ball in those games too. Which is where the option of Xavi comes into play. My feeling remains that Quintilla will be here next season too.

(Happy Easter to you too, and all on the Pink’un! 🐣)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pukki is fine for PL....last season his form dipped when he got injured and he didn’t quite rediscover it, but that happens.  We will definitely need better back up than last season (and this, if I’m honest) if we are in the PL.  Drmic didn’t come off - but imo was a reasonable gamble - and I’m far from sure Idah will be quite ready for that level.  The problem is that strikers cost a fortune - perhaps loaning one might be an option (someone like Nketiah), though that’s for others to decide.

3 hours ago, HazzaJet said:

Say it like you really mean it.

I already pointed out I love him. He's one of my favourite players and will go down as a club legend. It was all in good fun.

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

Bravo! This is absolutely spot on.

I would say, though, I think we need someone who can genuinely push Teemu for a starting berth next season; maybe someone who can play as a 9 or a 10? If Pukki stays fit and on form he'll score plenty next season, but if he gets injured, needs a rest or his form falls off a cliff, we're going to need significantly better than Hugill or Idah to fill his boots.

Idah may well be good enough as he develops and that could happen next season.  Hugill less so, but again, with a pre-season and having had time to adjust his game to our way, he may be effective - after all, he was bought before to be in a PL team, so others have seen something in him. Idah is the exciting one for me though, fully versed in farkeball and has that physical presence that we will need.

Pukki absolutely first choice, no question. I quite like Matej Vydra as an affordable option. Doesn't really fit Burnley's style of play, but would ours. 

Keep Hugill for occasional cudgel cameos. 

Yes. Idah was a rising star, but funnilty he seems to have stalled since reaching the peak of his season ...  international recognition.  He was a bit green and hesitent when playing for Ireland, as Roy Keane was at pains to point out. Injuries haven't helped him and a season's loan in the Championship would seem to be ideal.

When trying to think of the type of striker to complement/rival Pukki it might be worthwhile considering who amongst  our past strikers might have filled that role. 

There's Superted, Drinkell or a young Dean Ashton, but I'm inclined to think an Efan Ekoku type player might suit, others will differ.

30 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Idah may well be good enough as he develops and that could happen next season.  Hugill less so, but again, with a pre-season and having had time to adjust his game to our way, he may be effective - after all, he was bought before to be in a PL team, so others have seen something in him. Idah is the exciting one for me though, fully versed in farkeball and has that physical presence that we will need.

I still think Idah needs at least a season out on loan, which of course he was supposed to at Doncaster which for whatever reason fell apart

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I still think Idah needs at least a season out on loan, which of course he was supposed to at Doncaster which for whatever reason fell apart

Would love to see Idah succeed at PL level, but I don't think that's likely to happen next season. He's never had a consistent run in any first team at any level, so expecting him to step up at PL level is a huge gamble. I think it'll be more likely that he goes on loan.

I actually think that he would be starter for any of the current top 6 teams in EPL. Might sound but iver the top for first, but when you think exact players to compare with, I think he would currently be improvement compared to for example Martial, Jesus, Antonio and Werner (in his current form), and be likely scoring nice numbers in any of those teams. 

Edited by hepphep

If Pukki was more clinical, he wouldn’t be playing for us, it’s that simple.

it’s fair to criticise when he has a bad game but people shouldn’t forget that reality.

That FB group is one I joined but have never posted nor one I read (apart from seeing the original posts which put me off).

Teemu is one of our all time best strikers. Watch his play and you see his intelligence. Secondly, (I tell my son this) see how may times he gives the ball away when receiving or chasing and looking after the ball....hardly ever! It shows such an important player. Only the best players in the EPL can do that. 

I found this on my Twitter timeline and it made me think....who will look back and state who has had the best career out of Teemu and Toney? This stat tells you a lot.

IMG_20210404_121745.jpg

• Like 2