Sign in to follow this  
pete

Watford's record in away games at top 8 clubs

Really want to win the title of Championship winners.  So looked at Watford record away at the leagues top 8 clubs it is poor and hope this record is not improved on in last 7 games.

Norwich record only marginally better

Pos                     Result            Norwich corresponding results

1 Norwich City   to play

2 Watford                                  L

3 Brentford        to play            D

4 Swansea        2-1                   L

5 Reading          1-0                   W

6 Barnsley          1-0                   to play

7 Bournmth        1-0                   L

9 Middlesbor      to play            W

Middlesboro in 9th currently but were in top 8 for most of season.  

If this goes to form Watford will drop at least 6 points maybe the difference between winning and losing the title.  A curious stat but one I am going to rely on. 

• Like 1

I am not going to worry myself about what Watford could , should , might or will do but just concentraste on the fact that ten points from our final seven games will get us into the Premier League.

Edited by TIL 1010
  • Like 1

Our away record against top 8 teams is not relevant because we've already played them all (except Barnsley). Conversely, it's our home record against the top sides that's more important. I believe we've won all of them (depending on who is currently in the top 8, I've lost track).

Most fans seem to think we’ll be the champions. I’m not very convinced. Yes I’m certain we’ll go up as that doesn’t require much more effort, but I think that title will be a huge challenge. Watford are only 6 points behind us and on a run of form, whilst we now have defensive injuries. All I can say at the moment is that I think when they play us we will have to get something out of the game, possibly even a win. Like TIL says though, lets not worry about the title as at the moment we’re just after promotion. We won’t be after the title until we’ve got promoted.

1 minute ago, HazzaJet said:

Most fans seem to think we’ll be the champions. I’m not very convinced. Yes I’m certain we’ll go up as that doesn’t require much more effort, but I think that title will be a huge challenge. Watford are only 6 points behind us and on a run of form, whilst we now have defensive injuries. All I can say at the moment is that I think when they play us we will have to get something out of the game, possibly even a win. Like TIL says though, lets not worry about the title as at the moment we’re just after promotion. We won’t be after the title until we’ve got promoted.

We won't have to get a win out of the Watford game. A draw would suit us nice and dandy. Do you feel Watford will get far more points out of their remaining fixtures, than we will out of ours? If so, where do you see that happening?

Watford have some very tricky fixtures coming up. Fair play to them if they pip us to the title. Can’t see it happening, maybe a 10/15% chance. 

• Like 1

Like Til and Hazza, I'm not really thinking about the title, or certainly not yet anyway. The important thing is promotion, because in all honesty I can name the three promoted sides in most seasons of the last decade off the top of my head but I can't really remember which team won the title in all bar two or three. Once promotion is confirmed, then we can try to win the title, but I wouldn't be bothered about finishing second. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

We won't have to get a win out of the Watford game. A draw would suit us nice and dandy. Do you feel Watford will get far more points out of their remaining fixtures, than we will out of ours? If so, where do you see that happening?

I think it’s probably just due to the way I am - yes I always hope for the positive, but I usually prefer to expect the negative in case it happens. I’m expecting promotion as that requires very little - all we need is 2 more wins and for Brentford and Swansea to fail to win 2 of their remaining games. Watford closing the gap in both of the last two games has probably had an effect as well. I think to get me going again when we play Watford they must be no closer to us than they are now

After being 10 points clear and looking so comfortable I would really like us to go and win the title, as professionally and efficiently as we can. That’s what our performances have warranted and the players deserve no less either.

If someone offered me guaranteed second now I probably wouldn’t take it - such is the likelihood that we will not be caught be either Brentford or Swansea.

And if we do end up finishing second, I will be very pleased that we’re bouncing back, but disappointed we couldn’t see out the season with the league title after being in such a dominant position.

I suppose it’s like being 3 or 4 nil up and conceding a last minute goal or more. You’re still happy with the 3 points but a bit disappointed that the team couldn’t see out the clean sheet. It leaves a bit of a glint on the performance which was otherwise top notch. 

Yep. I want silverware too.

Win the title and it'll be two honours in the 4 years of Daniel Farke being with us. Pretty good going.

And I hope then we can make progress and have a decent PL season next year.

We know that for the players they will want some silverware. You don't often get the chance and for some of our players they may get two. I'm also hoping there will be some kind of victory parade in this lock down release summer.

54 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Watford have some very tricky fixtures coming up. Fair play to them if they pip us to the title. Can’t see it happening, maybe a 10/15% chance. 

One bookmaker has us at 1/12 and Watford at 13/2 to win the title.

Make of that what you will but it looks as though they rate our chances about the same.

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Yep. I want silverware too.

Win the title and it'll be two honours in the 4 years of Daniel Farke being with us. Pretty good going.

And I hope then we can make progress and have a decent PL season next year.

We know that for the players they will want some silverware. You don't often get the chance and for some of our players they may get two. I'm also hoping there will be some kind of victory parade in this lock down release summer.

You are Kenny McLean and I claim my bottle of Buckfast.

• Haha 1

Would be very very disappointed if we finish in 2nd place. The players deserve the title and that’s what it’s all about at the end of the day, winning the league as should be the aim for every club in every season both past and present, that’s what makes a season so special - being the best side in the division. I wouldn’t sit in a pub celebrating second place, no way. Finish as league champions and that’s a different matter entirely. Got to hope the injuries to Gibson, Zimbo and possibly Emi don’t see us wondering ‘what if?’ against the likes of Watford and Bournemouth - would have been nice to play those clubs with a relatively full strength side at some point this season, as we win both of those games under normal circumstances. 

We're pretty much already promoted. The title is the important thing. 

We (and Watford) haven't had to worry about anyone below 2nd for weeks now and we've been top for months and most recently 10 points clear for a good spell.

However Watford have cut that to 6 in only 2 games. This is the concern for me. 

I would hate to see a repeat of 2 years ago when we were about 10 points clear with 8 or so games remaining but went into the final game with the possibility of finishing second. 

To throw away the title after such a comfortable, dominant season where we've been the best of a solid top 4 would be bitterly disappointing. 

To suggest otherwise or that "only promotion matters", especially when we're basically already promoted, is completely the wrong mindset and an acceptance of failure. We've not been holding the door open for anyone else to take our title like little old norridge. It should be ours. 

Those two draws against average sides do not bode well for our run-in and Watford's final fixtures are far easier than ours. 

• Like 1

Can’t look at our stats vs top teams as majority of those games happened under our last managers reign. Since he left, we changed formation to 433, dropped deeney and the rest is history. 

tbh I’m sure both clubs fans will just be pleased to be promoted. We still have more work to do. Probably 3 wins vs your one win. Only then can we all concentrate on the last few games and the title race. You will be champions but the competition certainly adds an edge to your season

Watford have won 6 in a row. If they manage to keep that going and somehow beat us to the title then they will absolutely deserve it.

We've dropped 4 points in 11 games. We may have lost a bit of momentum but we're still the best team in the league. Three wins from our final seven games takes us to 93 points. Watford would need to win five to match us. That's a big ask.

I truly don't care about the title. We've won it twice in the last 20 years it's nice but promotion is what matters.

Also, the last two times we went up as title winners we went straight back down. The last time we finished 2nd we stayed up comfortably. Clearly this means we should aim to finish 2nd.

Getting promoted is all that matters but yes to chuck away the title now would be very disappointing. As for Watford away form against the top clubs, the reason they have risen so fast is they have sorted their away form. Their home form has been very good all season but away form was terrible even against the bottom clubs. They have sorted that so I don't think we should be looking at that. Looking at all the fixtures we have an easier run and should wrap it up. 

Watford are on rampant form, but so were Brentford and Swansea- whichever way you cut it, you just don't keep winning in the championship 

Watford are due a lull and still have three other best sides in the division to play. It's completely ours to lose.

3 hours ago, non-scoring strikers said:

We're pretty much already promoted. The title is the important thing. 

We (and Watford) haven't had to worry about anyone below 2nd for weeks now and we've been top for months and most recently 10 points clear for a good spell.

However Watford have cut that to 6 in only 2 games. This is the concern for me. 

I would hate to see a repeat of 2 years ago when we were about 10 points clear with 8 or so games remaining but went into the final game with the possibility of finishing second. 

To throw away the title after such a comfortable, dominant season where we've been the best of a solid top 4 would be bitterly disappointing. 

To suggest otherwise or that "only promotion matters", especially when we're basically already promoted, is completely the wrong mindset and an acceptance of failure. We've not been holding the door open for anyone else to take our title like little old norridge. It should be ours. 

Those two draws against average sides do not bode well for our run-in and Watford's final fixtures are far easier than ours. 

Spot on. 

It’s like to some what we’re doing right now is unimportant. It’s all about next season before this season has even been concluded. And I suspect that will be the respective mindset next season too, and so forth. Don’t get that.

There is no greater prize in domestic football than winning your respective league. That should be the ambition set every single season for any club regardless of what league you’re in. But realistically the promotion to the Premier League will bring money and VAR but probably not a great deal else. So I’m not in a hurry to finish a great season with a fantastic chance to be CHAMPIONS for a likely frustrating one, this right now, in the here and now, is what it’s all about and with injuries at the back, it’s game on for those hungry to finish as numero uno 🥊 🏆

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Spot on. 

It’s like to some what we’re doing right now is unimportant. It’s all about next season before this season has even been concluded. And I suspect that will be the respective mindset next season too, and so forth. Don’t get that.

There is no greater prize in domestic football than winning your respective league. That should be the ambition set every single season for any club regardless of what league you’re in. But realistically the promotion to the Premier League will bring money and VAR but probably not a great deal else. So I’m not in a hurry to finish a great season with a fantastic chance to be CHAMPIONS for a likely frustrating one, this right now, in the here and now, is what it’s all about and with injuries at the back, it’s game on for those hungry to finish as numero uno 🥊🏆

Yes, no-one remembers second place do they?

Not only the players but it's us fans. We will always remember a title.

If we can get two wins in our next two matches I believe we will win the league. And we have the prospect (a remote chance but a hope....just imagine it!) of a Watford team having to form a guard of honour for us on the 20th April😉

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Yes, no-one remembers second place do they?

Not only the players but it's us fans. We will always remember a title.

If we can get two wins in our next two matches I believe we will win the league. And we have the prospect (a remote chance but a hope....just imagine it!) of a Watford team having to form a guard of honour for us on the 20th April😉

Well said sir. Now I don’t have anything particularly against Watford, despite them being our closest rivals, but that would be quite sweet, especially given our injuries at the back right now. It’s Bournemouth and Brentford fans I’m not so keen on in general. Could be the Bournemouth game that confirms promotion which I would love. But as you say, no one remembers 2nd place, what a position to aim for - second best 😳. Screw the obsession of the Premier League - winning a title and being Champions at the end of a long season is so much more satisfying than the ‘thrill’ of a 17th placed finish in that league, I honestly don’t care for it one bit. Like I say, I won’t be sat in a pub celebrating 2nd place and 2nd best, that would be just embarrassing. But the beers are flowing if we win the title! 🏆

• Like 1