Sign in to follow this  
pearsos

Lack of Yellow Cards Yesterday

I could not believe Preston only picked up one yellow card yesterday.

Some of the treatment dished out to Emi warranted at least two or three.

I’m all for referees wanting to let the game flow but on numerous occasions he blew up, awarded a foul but didn’t even have a stern word yet alone get his cards out.

They actually kicked Emi off the park yesterday as I think we were worried that he was going to get wacked one too many times and end up missing a couple of games (or more).

Must say, he did well to control his temper, I think a lot of players would have reacted in a way that could have got them sent off.

What that shows, for me, is a slight lack of willingness in our ranks to dish some back. I generally like a referee who is pretty lenient with his cards and lets a few tackles go a bit, but as you said, he wasn't even having a word in many cases and I'll always maintain, as a former referee myself, that if you're going to be light with your cards, you need to speak more. Just card the cynical, "professional" fouls that prevent quick breakaways with cards, which was why Onel got one yesterday as that was a classic example of such.