Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Quintilla or Giannoulis?

Like others have said I'm not sure McCallum is any stronger a back up option than Quintilla. 

IF Giannoulis either proves to be not up to premier league quality OR injury prone I'm not sure McCallum will be the answer.

37 minutes ago, rock bus said:

Like others have said I'm not sure McCallum is any stronger a back up option than Quintilla. 

IF Giannoulis either proves to be not up to premier league quality OR injury prone I'm not sure McCallum will be the answer.

Yeah but the difference is McCallum wouldn't cost us an extra £3m for a player who isn't likely to play all that much.

2 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I don't get opinions like this.

Quintilla is "lightweight" (despite being 6ft tall and having played centre back), "not exceptionally quick" (got up and down QPR's flank without too much problem recently), positioning "extremely suspect" and we "have to be much stronger next time"

But let's throw in the guy whose 5' 8, never played outside lower Champ, has had Coventry fans say he's not been terribly consistent until the tail end of the season.

For me, McCallum needs another season in the Championship and I would seriously consider loaning someone to compete with Dimi.  

all opinions.... playing well is often easier in a team performing well, high on confidence, its not so easy in a team struggling and low on confidence... but what he is getting is experience, especially his defensive awareness.    McCallum is only 20, he's bound to make mistakes, just look at the garbage criticism Max, Jamal and Ben have had to put up with from fans who haven't got a clue.....  remember Todd Cantwell in August 2019, all these clever fans sending him out on loan..... well he shut them up pretty sharpish.    Had virtually no Champs experience but found himself starting v Liverpool.   

You may be right, McCallum may need to go on loan but don't right him off.     As for Quintilla, you don't get my opinion, but never state why.   Steipermann is over 6ft but very lightweight wins hardly anything in the air or on the deck and constantly gets brushed off the ball.... getting up and down a flank is hardly useful if you can't keep up with a flying winger and get forced off the ball too easily.   Do you think he is a better option than McCallum and why?  Is Quintilla strong enough or quick enough?   Does he have the defensive awareness for the Premier League?    I don't think he is anywhere near the level and so if Giannoulis gets injured, we would be leaving ourselves vulnerable.   

If Quintilla was good enough, why did we go and get Giannoulis?    We have Sorensen, Byram and McCallum as potential back-up, and with our stretched finances, priority has to be new powerful central midfielders (at least two of them) and someone to give Teemu competition for his place.    

2 minutes ago, ged in the onion bag said:

If Quintilla was good enough, why did we go and get Giannoulis?    We have Sorensen, Byram and McCallum as potential back-up, and with our stretched finances, priority has to be new powerful central midfielders (at least two of them) and someone to give Teemu competition for his place.    

Michael Bailey's latest article on the Athletic suggests Quintilla's injury left Norwich concerned that he wouldn't be able to cope with Championship schedule. So more fitness than ability. 

You make a good point about Sorensen and Byram, but I think Sorensen playing left back as needed in the Championship is somewhat different to playing left back in the Prem, and Byram needs as gentle as a reintroduction as we can. 

14 minutes ago, king canary said:

Yeah but the difference is McCallum wouldn't cost us an extra £3m for a player who isn't likely to play all that much.

Exactly this.

I get Quintilla is clearly well-liked by the players and he's a good player in his own right but his best attributes don't suit us and his weaker attributes really hurt us. 

In a market that's been hit by Covid, including ourselves, I can't see why we'd commit to buying Xavi and paying his wages at this point.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Michael Bailey's latest article on the Athletic suggests Quintilla's injury left Norwich concerned that he wouldn't be able to cope with Championship schedule. So more fitness than ability. 

You make a good point about Sorensen and Byram, but I think Sorensen playing left back as needed in the Championship is somewhat different to playing left back in the Prem, and Byram needs as gentle as a reintroduction as we can. 

Agree re Sorensen, Byram also is unlikely to play again and in both cases, being right-footed, it disturbs the balance of the team going forward so we need a left-back in reserve.   My argument was simply that those 3 (IMO) are better than Quintilla defensively which has to be the starting point for selection.  McCallum might be able to do that role, don't think Quintilla has the tools or the potential to be anywhere near good enough though.   If we are going to spend £3m on a left-back, lets keep looking! 

Giannoulis is 100% the better defender, Albert Adomah had Quintilla on toast when he came on Saturday for QPR.

The only advantage Quintilla has as several posters have already said is his set piece delivery is pretty good, only problem being is we hardly score from corners and from open play hardly play Hugill who would benefit from crosses and his game doesn't suit pukki who hardly scores with his head.

Edited by overthebordercanary
spelling

Personally I think Giannoulis has proven himself and well worth the money from what I’ve seen.

I actually think we will likely bring in another LB or player capable of playing there, I don’t think Quintilla or McCallum is the answer unfortunately and I certainly don’t think Sorensen should be second choice in the Prem. 

I hope Sam Byram recovers to somewhere near his PL showing but if he does I still think we only have Aarons, Giannoulis and Byram as the guys truely capable of covering our two FB positions in the PL, that concerns me personally.

If we sell Aarons, Webber will definitely be earning his pay this summer.

Not sure why so many have written off McCallum since he has not had a sniff in a yellow shirt yet, hasn't played in a team that plays a similar style to us or with the same confidence.    He is getting plenty of experience though at a good level and is only 20.....  at least we've all seen Quintilla in our system to gain some idea of what his ability is.

Can anyone suggesting McCallum isn't good enough actually give valid justifiable reasons as to why.     I doubt it.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

16 hours ago, Move Klose said:

I reckon Mcallum gets another season on loan.

As I said before, I reckon he'll get the pre-season to show it. Could end up doing a Remi Matthews and go out on loan, or do a Todd Cantwell and come through, staying with the first team.

10 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Not sure why so many have written off McCallum since he has not had a sniff in a yellow shirt yet, hasn't played in a team that plays a similar style to us or with the same confidence.    He is getting plenty of experience though at a good level and is only 20.....  at least we've all seen Quintilla in our system to gain some idea of what his ability is.

Can anyone suggesting McCallum isn't good enough actually give valid justifiable reasons as to why.     I doubt it.   

All I can say is that I live near Coventry and some of my mates are Cov fans ... they have watched his development over the past couple of years and all think he is a decent championship level defender but doubt he will make it in the premier league. 

But as you say he is young and we have a great track record in developing players. As others have said I expect he will be given pre season to prove himself as back up but any doubts and he will be back out on loan

58 minutes ago, rock bus said:

All I can say is that I live near Coventry and some of my mates are Cov fans ... they have watched his development over the past couple of years and all think he is a decent championship level defender but doubt he will make it in the premier league. 

But as you say he is young and we have a great track record in developing players. As others have said I expect he will be given pre season to prove himself as back up but any doubts and he will be back out on loan

I don't think many of us felt Cantwell could make it in the Championship as a bit part player in our first promotion under Farke, let along end up being arguably one of our best players for most of the Premier League campaign. Farke can get players working for him, they might rate McCallum highly, they might not, but he'll get his chance I'm sure. I can't see us signing Xavi now, despite the fact he seems well liked. Against top teams he just hasn't been able to cope defensively.

11 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

We'll have to wait and see what Farke thinks. It's hard to fault his judgement on when (or not) young players are ready to step up. 

22 minutes ago, GJP said:

We'll have to wait and see what Farke thinks. It's hard to fault his judgement on when (or not) young players are ready to step up. 

The fact he hasnt been part of the core group would suggest that. 

15 hours ago, Monty13 said:

Personally I think Giannoulis has proven himself and well worth the money from what I’ve seen.

I actually think we will likely bring in another LB or player capable of playing there, I don’t think Quintilla or McCallum is the answer unfortunately and I certainly don’t think Sorensen should be second choice in the Prem. 

I hope Sam Byram recovers to somewhere near his PL showing but if he does I still think we only have Aarons, Giannoulis and Byram as the guys truely capable of covering our two FB positions in the PL, that concerns me personally.

If we sell Aarons, Webber will definitely be earning his pay this summer.

I think if Farke and Webber are worried about Quintilla being able to hold up for a whole season, they won't be turning to Byram instead.

I was concerned about how Quintilla dealt with Sarr in the Watford game. Sarr seemed to be turning him inside out on a whim and that is going to be the challenge every week next season.

He is a good player still, and I'm sure Farke/Webber will make the right call - but I would be surprised if we activate the option on him with Giannoulis already signed.

Quintilla more cultured, Giannoulis has solid ability but a sense of doggedness and dynamism about him that I think makes him more suited to the kind of firefights we'll be facing next year. Would love those to be our two, though. Happy to admit I've only seen McCallum play a couple of times, neither has he ever played at Premier League level. I would expect him to be loaned out and a second left back signed, because neither Byram nor Quintilla will be here in my opinion (Byram on a fitness if not ability decision)- and to expose a key position to our playing style to injury or suspension with the replacement being a player with few senior games is exactly the luck that deserted us last year in trying to balance risk and reward.

I wonder if we can negotiate a cheaper deal for Quintilla? If he is happy to come in as back-up to start with then I think he'd be a solid option for us.

Maybe agree to the same fee but have it performance related

7 hours ago, king canary said:

I think if Farke and Webber are worried about Quintilla being able to hold up for a whole season, they won't be turning to Byram instead.

Yea I agree, that’s why I personally think we will be bringing someone new in.

Giannoulis is every inch a premier league left back and if we have got him for prices quoted above then he is absolute steal. (Seen nothing official?) 

Xavi - whilst I was delighted he scored at the weekend hasn’t really happened for him at NCFC, I reckon he’ll go back to Spain and we will have the lad McCallum or Byram competing for that role 

• Like 1