Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Michael Bailey

Referee certainly wasn't biased he was just generally awful. 

The problem is when you have an awful ref in this division, we tend to suffer more as the technically gifted side, and the side on the front foot generally.

• Like 1

It seemed to me that Emi was deliberately targeted but all of our players took a kicking at one point or another. It used to be bad with Maddison but the treatment Emi has suffered this season has been worse. He's criticised by some for biting back but he did very well to control himself yesterday. Hopefully no one has been badly hurt.

I'm usually first on these threads sticking up for the referees, but not on this occasion. In his favour he was consistently lenient, and there were passages of play where I thought there were three or four fouls by both teams that he waved away. I was pleased to see Ledson booked early, as I thought we'd got a no-nonsense ref who wasn't going to put up with any roughneck tactics... how wrong was I?!

He wasn't biased in the slightest, but his leniency played squarely into the hands of the team with the physical gameplan. 

• Like 2

Hardly been a game this season where if we do not get the results fans expect then it’s the referees fault

The Preston game should have been put to bed by halftime 

10 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Please don't be naive to think the ref gives decisions based on which teams complain the most. In some situations it has the reverse effect, and whingy players get decisions given against them,  for getting on refs chimes. 

Please don't be that naive.

Didn’t you watch United in the Ferguson era?

In fairness to MB he's been livid at a lot of refereeing this season. He's made quite a cogent point that often it'll take 3-4 bad challenges for opposition enforcers to see yellow, but a lot of the time our players will chalk up a card for their first foul. Having actually watched for it, he isn't wrong.

Being honest it wouldn't have seemed as much of an issue if not for the galling deflected equaliser with the last kick of the game. Blue kit, poor ref, misfiring Pukki, horrible little opponents- just one of those crap days.

On to Huddersfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Agreed, haranguing the ref should be avoided at all costs. It reflects horribly on the sport and the players, and alongside diving and feigning injury, it makes me embarrassed to be a football fan at times. 

You might be in the wrong sport?...maybe egg chasng more your game??

2 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I agree with what Wacky is saying in principle but its idealistic- it only works if other clubs don't do it. Otherwise we are at a disadvantage because Refs at this level have been proven time and time again to be weak and cave in to these sort of antics - its why they exist in the first place!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alfie54 said:

Didn’t you watch United in the Ferguson era?

Mind games are different to game management too. 

Every ref is dreadful - that's why they are refs. Why would anyone with an operative brain cell choose to be a referee? Their personality traits must be questionable for them to even occupy that position. It will never change until we have fully professional officials and pay them properly to encourage better, fitter, more knowledgeable and more intelligent people to take it up.

14 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Minimum of 4 minutes........ 

I don't understand why so many people are idiotic to this rule🤷‍♂️. There was subs in injury time so always going to be another minute 

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

But he has a point, no?

2 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

So you actually condone that behaviour? You think it's OK that grown adults scream in a referee's face because they disagree with their decision? Children witness this and grow up thinking it's normal behaviour, so the cycle is repeated. Some even take it into school.

Alongside feigning injury in an attempt to get a fellow professional sent off, it's the main thing that needs to be eradicated from the game (excluding things like homophobia and racism, but they're wider than football).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ken Hairy said:

I don't understand why so many people are idiotic to this rule🤷‍♂️. There was subs in injury time so always going to be another minute 

Not yesterday...they were all made before 90 mins

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Not yesterday...they were all made before 90 mins

Adding on time for time-wasting.... Could be anything. 

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

So you actually condone that behaviour? You think it's OK that grown adults scream in a referee's face because they disagree with their decision? Children witness this and grow up thinking it's normal behaviour, so the cycle is repeated. Some even take it into school.

Alongside feigning injury in an attempt to get a fellow professional sent off, it's the main thing that needs to be eradicated from the game (excluding things like homophobia and racism, but they're wider than football).

We can take a houlier thsn thou stance...but if we're not doing it if everyone else is, we're disadvantaged

21 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We can take a houlier thsn thou stance...but if we're not doing it if everyone else is, we're disadvantaged

I'd genuinely rather be disadvantaged than engage in that behaviour. It's horrible behaviour and I wouldn't have respect for our players if they persistently harangued the ref, and when you reach the stage of disliking your own players then there's no point in watching football.

Obviously the easy solution is for the authorities to actually take dissent seriously, but they seem to have no interest in doing that. Some thought the Judge v Drysdale incident may be a turning point, but Judge got away scot-free and Drysdale served a ban, which will just encourage players to abuse officials. Maybe a referee strike would sort it out.

15 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....you dont think trying to influence a ref is part of a gamplan?...you dont think that constantly being in a refs ear might influence the next decision?....you dont think that if there's a 50-50 call to make ,a referee could award the decision the way of the team thats been in his ear the loudest all game?

Please dont be that naive.

As previously mentioned, Jordan Henderson has been the master of this for the last few seasons....never more than a few yards from a ref all game, constantly chipping away at him.....vurtually refereeing the game at times

Put yourself in the refs shoes.

Would you let someone influence your decision because he was constantly in your ear.

Any player that was in my ear all the time would get a warning(if it is allowed) and he would certainly not be doing his team a favour.

1 hour ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Oh how I agree with this. I can't watch a match on TV at the moment without looking for instances of unsporting behaviour and it spoils the enjoyment of the game.

I know that I am extremely biased but I don't think Norwich has many,if any at all,players that are obviously displaying unsporting behaviour.

9 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Oh how I agree with this. I can't watch a match on TV at the moment without looking for instances of unsporting behaviour and it spoils the enjoyment of the game.

I know that I am extremely biased but I don't think Norwich has many,if any at all,players that are obviously displaying unsporting behaviour.

And if only VAR sorted those out.....

18 minutes ago, Grumpy said:

Put yourself in the refs shoes.

Would you let someone influence your decision because he was constantly in your ear.

Any player that was in my ear all the time would get a warning(if it is allowed) and he would certainly not be doing his team a favour.

....yet if you dont do that you run the risk of the oppositions players having free reign to kick lumps out of our players unchecked...such as yesterday

Footballers treat the officials with contempt. Therefore they are treating decisions with contempt. And that leads to treating the rules with contempt.

I would like a rule that says if the referee is hastled or sworn at, he can take out  pistol and fire a warning shot through said players head.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

....yet if you dont do that you run the risk of the oppositions players having free reign to kick lumps out of our players unchecked...such as yesterday

Why dont they just play football? is it that hard?

Just now, keelansgrandad said:

It seems its beyond them.

Agreed - and yet they get paid so much money for doing such a simple thing...............

13 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Why dont they just play football? is it that hard?

Because they identified our best player and tried to nullify him by kicking him..as by 'just playing football' , they knew they'd get beaten

....and a referee will allow it unless attention is drawn toward it

Just now, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Because they identified our best player and tried to nullify him by kicking him..as by 'just playing football' , they knew they'd get beaten

Surely the referee doesn't need telling the rules? Forget the players, none of them have a clue about the rules.

3 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

Or maybe they are trying to get a reaction from our best player, and get him carded. Surely that wont ever happen?! 

My comment was more general though, not NCFC / player specific.  

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Surely the referee doesn't need telling the rules? Forget the players, none of them have a clue about the rules.

And he has VAR to help him if it gets a little tricky too! 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

Footballers treat the officials with contempt. Therefore they are treating decisions with contempt. And that leads to treating the rules with contempt.

I would like a rule that says if the referee is hastled or sworn at, he can take out  pistol and fire a warning shot through said players head.

The trials for this in Brazil didn’t go too well 😳😳😳

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/09/29/444441304/referee-takes-gun-onto-soccer-field-after-spat-with-players-in-brazil?t=1617473345432

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-latin-america-23215676