Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

2 points to promotion, 8 to the title

4 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

84 points hasn't been enough in 4 of the last 7 seasons. But I think we'll be promoted mathematically after the Bournemouth game

It will be this season, I said this about 6 weeks ago and I maintain it now, to get 84 Brentford need 15 from 24 available, Swansea need 15 from 21.   Neither of them are consistent enough currently to achieve this.

We're already up.

Brentford drawing with 75 gone so as it stands (and presuming no ludicrous Huddersfield come back) we will be 5 points off promotion, could go up with a win on sat and other results going our way

As it stands with other results and with our own going well it looks like this.

Norwich on 87 points with 6 games left to play which is 18 points left to play for. Max total - 105.
Watford on 79 points with 6 games left to play which is 18 points left to play for. Max total - 97.
Brentford on 70 points with 7 games left to play which is 21 points left to play for. Max total - 91.
Swansea on 69 points with 7 games left to play which is 21 points left to play for. Max total - 90.

Norwich lead Watford by 8 points, Brentford by 17 points, Swansea by 18 points.

So at this point, Brentford and Swansea need to win every remaining game. If they draw more than one game, or lose a game, that's it, they are gone. Realistically they both are. Even more scary is that Bournemouth in 7th are only 4 points off 3rd, having played the same number of games. Those two teams are not thinking about us. They really aren't. Lose another game and I doubt they'll be thinking about Watford either.

5 points at this point puts us on 92 points. I don't think it'll take that many. Before kick off on Thursday it was said we needed 11 points. I said three wins would do it, possibly even two. Swansea and Brentford are running out of road. They just can't keep up.

Edited by chicken

Yep, Promotion can be secured on Saturday with a couple of results falling for us, if we can get revenge against Derby for the early season debacle.

Annoyingly, if it's the week after, we're on the late slot against Bournemouth so we could go up before we even kick off.

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Yep, Promotion can be secured on Saturday with a couple of results falling for us, if we can get revenge against Derby for the early season debacle.

Annoyingly, if it's the week after, we're on the late slot against Bournemouth so we could go up before we even kick off.

Not that it will matter, the players will want the title!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I agree, but well done for including a Pinkun post saying

“Annoyingly if it’s the week after... we could go up before we even kick off.”😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

I agree, but well done for including a Pinkun post saying

“Annoyingly if it’s the week after... we could go up before we even kick off.”😂😂

I hadn't even clocked that, but what a time to be a City fan I guess! For all the ups and the downs, we've been anything but boring over the last decade or so. What a ride it's been! 

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 2

So we’re now there in reality with a 17 point lead. Mathematically Brentford or Swansea need to win all their games to catch us and I can’t see that happening. But we can ignore them, another 2 points and we’re up for certain.

Also nice to be leading 2nd place by 8 points with 5 games to go, we want that title again!

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

So we’re now there in reality with a 17 point lead. Mathematically Brentford or Swansea need to win all their games to catch us and I can’t see that happening. But we can ignore them, another 2 points and we’re up for certain.

Also nice to be leading 2nd place by 8 points with 5 games to go, we want that title again!

Yep, we could quite concievably win the title by beating Watford. If we win next week then beating Watford will secure the title

• Like 2

Annoyingly, since 2002, I have either managed to get to the match that secured promotion or the match that saw us Champions. Thank you Covid 🙄.

Swansea play tonight (away at Hillsborough) and anything except a win will make it impossible for them to catch us.

I hope they win tonight and Saturday though so that the lads can win promotion independently rather than because someone else has lost.

Brentford have a game in hand but don't play until Sat this week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Swansea play tonight (away at Hillsborough) and anything except a win will make it impossible for them to catch us.

I hope they win tonight and Saturday though so that the lads can win promotion independently rather than because someone else has lost.

Brentford have a game in hand but don't play until Sat this week.

Agree with this, I'd like us to secure promotion by actually playing. I remember when we went up under Worthington, we secure promotion when we didn't play as Palace lost midweek game to confirm our promotion. Although it was made up for on the long trip to Sunderland where we lost but so did West Brom so we won the title there. 

Nearly didn't make the game, and I think kick off was moved as there was long delays in the A1 going up due to a major accident. 

On 10/04/2021 at 17:55, kick it off said:

Yep, we could quite concievably win the title by beating Watford. If we win next week then beating Watford will secure the title

I think the lads would absolutely love this, and so would Farke. To win it because you've beaten the second best team in the league during the run-in would be the best way to win it. A scrappy 1-0 off Pukki's behind will do!

• Like 1