Now that we are shot of the internationals, and know who played where/how long for, it will be interesting to see how we line up tomorrow.

Krul played all three games, the last being Tuesday and he wasn’t exactly busy so I imagine will be fine.  I think Skipp and Hanley are the only outfield guys who fully played three games, Pukki playing twice and 15min in their third; Aarons played twice including yesterday; Giannoulis played yesterday and part of the previous game, Kenny played last night. Todd might as well have been left at home as only got 20minutes.  I’m not sure about Onel - played a half and scored but think he’s now back?  I think that’s all of them? Edit: Placheta - I don’t think he played at all.

For me, it’s as much about the travel as having played so much as that can be tiring - but the guys are young and fit and thankfully it’s a one-off. 

I reckon it largely depends how guys are feeling but think it might be something like: Krul, Mumba, Hanley, Zimmermann, Giannoulis, Sorensen, Rupp, McLean, Todd, Emi, Hugill.

This gives Max, Teemu and Skipp a break...ideally Grant wouldn’t play but is needed. It still leaves out Mario, Dowell, Xavi, Tettey, Stiepi.

Edited by Branston Pickle

McLean played all 90 against the Faroes. Think he might be better coming off the bench to be honest as the Faroes put up a pretty spirited show. Stiepermann should be hammering on the door in fitness terms now, you'd think, so probably better to put him at number 10. Agree that this is the game to put Sorensen in defensive midfield, and he and Rupp should theoretically be a very nice combination as both look like they're good at turning balls over, picking up interceptions, and hitting progressive (but not necessarily incisive passes).

I think Pukki will get the gig though, which makes a Stiepermann selection more pragmatic as those two together are proven and then some. If Hugill's up top, then either Placheta or Hernandez should start on one of the wings. Unless Todd is put in at 10 to fit one of our speedsters with Buendia as ever starting on the right, buzzing around.

11.png

Krul should be fine- He did play 90 minutes against Gibraltar but did not have to make a single save (not even a single dive either..) and pretty much just stood doing nothing for that time, might as well have been sunbathing. Cantwell and Pukki only got 15 minute cameos (For England under 21's and Finland) in their last matches so should be ok for at least the first half or so.

Crikey - you think playing an entirely new back 4 is likely?  It is odd that defence is still the main area where we don’t seem to quite have cover nailed - partly due to Byram’s ongoing injuries, but only in part.  Other areas are pretty well stocked, whatever XI we play we will be leaving decent international options out but there just doesn’t quite seem to be the same depth there.

Some musings:

Krul - no problems, back and ready

Aarons - very unlikely to be ready, along with Skipp and Cantwell, so I'd say Mumba starts.

Hanley - fine, played a fair bit but should be with the squad as we speak as Scotland were at home last night.

Zimmerman - 100%

Giannoulis - No chance, leaves Quintilla or Lungi. Reckon he'll go Sorensen in midfileld so it'll be Xavi.

Skipp - See Aarons - would be Sorensen or Tettey but I think recent comments suggest Lungi is now an out and out midfielder and will only play full back in desperate situations. Not sure this qualifies when we have a fully fit LB available. Sorensen starts.

McClean - See Hanley

Buendia - 100%

Rupp - No Cantwell (See Aarons) so Dowell will be out wide.

Dowell - see Rupp

Pukki - See Krul.

We'll start with as full XI as we can I imagine - Aarons, Skipp and Cantwell are all young so should be able to carry the load a lot easier than the older lads so fully expect them to start. Krul will be fine, Hanley, McLean should be fine as already with the squad. 

I would imagine;

Krul

Aarons Zimm Hanley Sorensen

Skipp Mclean

Buendia Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

What time will the England lads have got home last night? Early hours I guess, they will be shattered, especially Skipp. Bet they cant wait to get winning again after that shambles from Boothroyd.

6 minutes ago, AJ said:

We'll start with as full XI as we can I imagine - Aarons, Skipp and Cantwell are all young so should be able to carry the load a lot easier than the older lads so fully expect them to start. Krul will be fine, Hanley, McLean should be fine as already with the squad. 

I would imagine;

Krul

Skipp Mclean

Buendia Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

To be fair Aarons has played every single match for us this season and only played one match for the England Under 21's-

Think if there's anyone on our team that has the stamina to play one match and then another a few days later it's him

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

33 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

To be fair Aarons has played every single match for us this season and only played one match for the England Under 21's-

Think if there's anyone on our team that has the stamina to play one match and then another a few days later it's him

Skipp aswell I reckon. 

1 hour ago, AJ said:

I would imagine;

Krul

Skipp Mclean

Buendia Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

Unless anyone has picked up an injury or expresses they are fatigued I would expect it to be this (maybe even with Giannoulis in for Sorenson - Sorenson is then avaialable as a sub for anyone across the back four or in midfield).

If Gibson was fit I expect Farke would have liked to have given Hanley a rest but in the circumstances we need him to play.

I think Farke would like to see us start strong and then hopefully if we are a couple of goals up he'll remove the ones who have played the most minutes in the internationals.

There was a chartered LoganAir flight last night from Glasgow at 10:57pm to Norwich, guessing this was for Kenny and Hanley.  I'd imagine this same aircraft will head up to Manchester with the team later.

I did wonder whether Norwich might have done the same for the U21 guys, starting off in Slovenia and dropping into Switzerland to pick up Pukki on the way through, but can't see anything.

Edit: There was a private jet (nice little Cessna Citation M2) that arrived in Norwich from Zurich this morning.  I'd say too coincidental not to be Mr Pukki.

Edited by Matt Juler

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

11.png

Krul should be fine- He did play 90 minutes against Gibraltar but did not have to make a single save (not even a single dive either..) and pretty much just stood doing nothing for that time, might as well have been sunbathing. Cantwell and Pukki only got 15 minute cameos (For England under 21's and Finland) in their last matches so should be ok for at least the first half or so.

The bit in bold has something which probably needs explaining, as someone who's been a goalie for a long time! 

Sure, those games against minnows are not physically taxing, that is very true indeed. It's also true that there is less need for recovery. However, many football fans don't understand the mental load on goalkeepers simply as they have to be fully concentrating all the time, regardless of how many saves they have to make. 

Even in a quiet game, a keeper still has to organise his defence, ensure he is in position, and generally just focus on what's happening. Sure, I'd expect him to start without issue, but it's really not a case of "stood doing nothing" or "might as well have been sunbathing".

Expect no changes to the line up put out against Blackburn.  Skipp and AArons will want to keep ever present.  Only fatigue concern is Hanley all the others will recover in time to appear Friday.  Still expect Hanley to play.  Number 10 could be amended with Stiepermann replacing Dowell but assist in Blackburn match could see him starting again.   

36 minutes ago, Matt Juler said:

Edit: There was a private jet (nice little Cessna Citation M2) that arrived in Norwich from Zurich this morning.  I'd say too coincidental not to be Mr Pukki

I had to look, tough life as a footballer 😉

6395C2BB-AC20-4134-8990-D4B8111EF9C9.jpeg

Hmmm a few revisions needed to our likely lineups - just as well we have such good backup at cb...🤔.

I suppose it’s Hanley + Sorensen or Tettey for the rest of the season.

31 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Hmmm a few revisions needed to our likely lineups - just as well we have such good backup at cb...🤔.

I suppose it’s Hanley + Sorensen or Tettey for the rest of the season.

Certainly underlines the recruitment task for the summer... in case anyone’s forgotten Oct-Dec 2020, or much of the previous season..

Wow, what a conundrum thrown up by the presser. 

Sounds very much like all of those playing yesterday are going to have a run out in the training session this afternoon.  All that talk about flying straight up north were thus baseless.  

Given Zimbo's and Rupp's absence, Krul will definitely start in order to provide some solidity. 

Aarons should be able to start, but expect relatively early removal. Quintilla to cover for Giannoulis?    

Could be a game ironically for three centre backs to spread "the load".  Hanley, Sorensen and Omobamidele

Can McLean recover, probably Tettey to start instead as a one man block in front of the five?  

The front four pick themselves: Cantwell, Buendia, Dowell and Pukki.  

On the bench: Nylands, Skipp, McLean, Mumba, Stiepermann, Hugill, Placheta, Hernandez, Vrancic.

This would give Giannoulis a breather. 

If push comes to shove, and we need to push on, that's still a good attacking bench.

Had a look on the PNE forum, they have zero sympathy for our international break situation. I guess we would be the same if it was the other way round.

2 minutes ago, Satriales said:

Had a look on the PNE forum, they have zero sympathy for our international break situation. I guess we would be the same if it was the other way round.

Of course they dont....they hadcthe sum total of 2 players away on international duty.

The fault lays at the football league.

There is no reason why these next 2 round of fixtures couldnt be played on Saturday - Tuesday

2 hours ago, rock bus said:

Unless anyone has picked up an injury or expresses they are fatigued I would expect it to be this (maybe even with Giannoulis in for Sorenson - Sorenson is then avaialable as a sub for anyone across the back four or in midfield).

If Gibson was fit I expect Farke would have liked to have given Hanley a rest but in the circumstances we need him to play.

I think Farke would like to see us start strong and then hopefully if we are a couple of goals up he'll remove the ones who have played the most minutes in the internationals.

Looks like Dimi will have to play now with either Sorensen or Quintella as a CB alongside Hanley!

I think we will have to play Sorensen at CB and I actually think he could be very good there.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Sorensen Gianoullis

Skipp McClean

Buendia Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

This is a big weekend. Need to bank the points. 

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think we will have to play Sorensen at CB and I actually think he could be very good there.

Krul

Aarons Hanley Sorensen Gianoullis

Skipp McClean

Buendia Dowell Cantwell

Pukki

This is a big weekend. Need to bank the points. 

Tettey at CB with Sorensen at LB?

Farke made it sound incredibly doubtful for Dimi to play

It isn’t PNE, it is the EFL - and proof of the pudding is in the eating for all they care about player welfare.  Giving players appropriate rest seems a pretty standard idea, and (at least in PL) there’s a rule about clubs not playing so soon (hence PL games moved to Sunday for Europa league matches on a Thursday).  If a club has as many as 9 playing internationals, that should clearly count otherwise sides are just being penalised for having good players.  Utterly stupid.

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

Tettey at CB with Sorensen at LB?

Farke made it sound incredibly doubtful for Dimi to play

Quintilla on the left then? He must be fit now.