Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

England vs Poland (reserves)

As a Polish supporter I'm dreading this one.

Poland not beaten England since the famous Tomaszewski game in 1973. That's 48 years now. Managed a couple of draws since but that's about it.

Lewandowski injured, 3 other first team players out with Covid (Klich, Krychowiak and Piatkowski).

Anything other than a battering will be a decent result - not sure how we possibly escape Wembley with any points. At least the Covid and injuries give me an excuse for the loss this time! 🤣

In terms of our team, it's likely to look something like (imo):

Szczesny,

Bereszinski, Glik, Bednarek, Rybus,

Augustyniak 

Jozwiak, Moder, Zielinski

Milik, Piatek.

Sousa may choose not to start with Augustyniak and to play Swiderski up front with Piatek and drop Milik into the 10 position (same formation) but I suspect against England he'll opt for the Def Mid. He could also opt to go 3-4-2-1 which would look similar but Augustyniak would drop out, and Szymanski would come in as a wingback on the right and Moder and Zielinski dropping further back. Don't see any formation where Placheta starts, there are better options.

Players to watch: Milik is back in decent form at club level after nearly 3 years out with injury and has played well over the last 2 games. Jozwiak is the dangerman out wide. Moder has also looked decent. Kozlowski is one to keep an eye on too - 17 year old who made his debut on Sunday and did not look out of place at all. Wouldn't mind Norwich having a little look at him as he looks to have quality - Plays first team football in the Polish top flight and has a reputation as a bit of a wonderkid.

I was wondering why Milik seemed to have dropped of the radar, didn't realise he'd been injured.

Any chance Placheta gets some game time?

Placheta is on the fringes, he did play 30 minutes of their last game

Edited by AJ

17 minutes ago, king canary said:

I was wondering why Milik seemed to have dropped of the radar, didn't realise he'd been injured.

Any chance Placheta gets some game time?

Will probably come off the bench at some point

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kirku said:

What happened to Piatek? One (ish) season wonder?

Looks that way. He's got 6 in the Bundesliga this season but not set anything on fire since he went to AC Milan a few years ago.

39 minutes ago, king canary said:

He wasn't injured for the first half of this season, he was just ostracised from the Napoli squad after a move to Roma fell through as a result of petty childishness from both him and the Napoli president over a contract dispute. He nearly ruined my Italian Fantasy Football season before it even started! I still rate him as a player though, as I do Piatek, who just fell victim to the curse of Milan's number nine shirt and had a massive confidence crisis. He was fantastic at Genoa and started well at Milan, and that was only two years ago. Obviously neither of them are Lewandowski but they're still two very good strikers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Jeszce jeden?

Nope, not at all. Been to Warsaw six times for the various half-marathons and absolutely love the place, but can't really do much with the Polish language.

• Like 1

I didnt realise you were Polish KIO!

I'll be honest didnt realise the match was on!

2 hours ago, Budapest Canary said:

Cześć,

Any idea, why was it so important for Sousa to use Lewandowski against Andorra?

I think that was because Sousa still doesn't really know the players so was experimenting a bit trying to find his best lineup. It hasn't done us any favours at all though.

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

I didnt realise you were Polish KIO!

I'll be honest didnt realise the match was on!

Polish heritage but born in the UK, I'm a bit of a mongrel tbf but have always associated more with my Polish identity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kick it off said:

As a Polish supporter I'm dreading this one.

Poland not beaten England since the famous Tomaszewski game in 1973. That's 48 years now. Managed a couple of draws since but that's about it.

Lewandowski injured, 3 other first team players out with Covid (Klich, Krychowiak and Piatkowski).

Anything other than a battering will be a decent result - not sure how we possibly escape Wembley with any points. At least the Covid and injuries give me an excuse for the loss this time! 🤣

In terms of our team, it's likely to look something like (imo):

Szczesny,

Bereszinski, Glik, Bednarek, Rybus,

Augustyniak 

Jozwiak, Moder, Zielinski

Milik, Piatek.

Sousa may choose not to start with Augustyniak and to play Swiderski up front with Piatek and drop Milik into the 10 position (same formation) but I suspect against England he'll opt for the Def Mid. He could also opt to go 3-4-2-1 which would look similar but Augustyniak would drop out, and Szymanski would come in as a wingback on the right and Moder and Zielinski dropping further back. Don't see any formation where Placheta starts, there are better options.

Players to watch: Milik is back in decent form at club level after nearly 3 years out with injury and has played well over the last 2 games. Jozwiak is the dangerman out wide. Moder has also looked decent. Kozlowski is one to keep an eye on too - 17 year old who made his debut on Sunday and did not look out of place at all. Wouldn't mind Norwich having a little look at him as he looks to have quality - Plays first team football in the Polish top flight and has a reputation as a bit of a wonderkid.

Get Kacper on as soon as possible. It's only England after all. Most of their players will have been on the beer all week🇵🇱

2 hours ago, kick it off said:

I think that was because Sousa still doesn't really know the players so was experimenting a bit trying to find his best lineup. It hasn't done us any favours at all though.

Hmm. Many Hungary fans wondered why Lewa has not been called back by Bayern the way Leipzig recalled Gulácsi after the Poland game, then Willi Orban quoting the importance of their upcoming  fixture against Bayern. Unless the injury was just a smokescreen, using him did not work out well...  Anyway, I'll keep an eye on the match besides Andorra vs. Hungary. England did not look particularly sharp against Albania, so you'll never know.... 😉     

15 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ex0qtpqWEAEdjCS?format=jpg&name=large

Two defensive midfielders in the middle again..

That's got to be worth an official thread....

• Haha 1

Interesting moves from Sousa. Dropped Milik and Jozwiak which I'm not sure about at all.

Has gone for the 3-4-1-2. Zielinksi will play deeper than this in the #10 I would think, with Swiderski and Piatek leading the line. Don't like Helik, he was awful against Hungary so don't fancy him up against Kane et al.

Placheta on the bench but unlikely to come on with Jozwiak, Szymanski and Grosicki all starting on the bench too. 

image.png.7e9b4833efc4de348f449df4d8307a03.png

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

England has no hope of winning anything with a CB pairing of Stones and Maguire.

I couldn’t agree more . It’s quite scary really . 

2 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

Another bloody inept performance.  Poland aren't that good.  Neither are England.

Knew it would bite me back.

And Stones headed back for a Maguire belting finish . Like I said I don’t rate them 😂😂. I know my stuff . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1