Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Good shout Noel Whelan

lf his wages are affordable and Everton don't take up their one year extension clause, Joshua King would indeed be a great player to deputise for Pukki. 

Has had a difficult 18 months, but if Farke can rejuvenate him it could be a Krul level masterstroke. 

Never looked interested enough. and only performs when the team he's in is flying. Not got the attitude for a survival slog, and wages would be a burden. No from me.

Just now, Canary Wundaboy said:

Never looked interested enough. and only performs when the team he's in is flying. Not got the attitude for a survival slog, and wages would be a burden. No from me.

Fair enough, although the wages surely a complete unknown, he was allegedly on £45k a week at Bournemouth in the Prem, but that would have dropped considerably after relegation. He then mutually terminated with Bournemouth, so who knows whether Everton have matched that. 

I doubt that when we signed Krul when his stock was down he was on anywhere near as much as he was on at Newcastle. 

It came out that our highest earner was on £30k in the Prem I believe? I can see us throwing a few transfer fees around but can't see us breaking that cap, players will have to sign for less than that but I'd assume decent bonuses for staying up (our promotion bonuses are huge aren't they). 

Wouldn't be too bad an idea signing a striker with PL experience as a free agent, provided his wages aren't too high (max £50k) and we don't end up with another Drmic on our hands (£50k p/w, usually out injured, can't cut it in the PL)

45 minutes ago, Herman said:

Rather Jonathan King..... 

The thread for a comment like that has been  removed Hermano. 😇👍😉.

• Haha 2

Not sure on King, clearly has talent but don't think he has the game changing attributes Pukki/Buendia/Cantwell have, which is what you need from a player of that calibre 

Not for me, has done nothing for Bournemouth except upset the fans with his attitude, has not played much for Everton and still thinks he's worth 50k a week. would rather see Adam as back up any day.

He has the ability, I can't see him throwing himself into a relegation scrap.  I would be surprised if this one has legs.  If you going to spend 50k a week, rather pay it to Todd and Emi.

Edited by Newtopia

1 hour ago, Newtopia said:

He has the ability, I can't see him throwing himself into a relegation scrap.  I could be surprised if this one has legs.  If you going to spend 50k a week, rather pay it to Todd and Emi.

Why wouldn't he throw himself into a relegation scrap? He played for Bournemouth most of his career and they were involved in the odd relegation battle.

Signing an out-of-favour striker from Everton on enormous wages...what could go wrong? It's not like there's a relatively recent example of the club doing anything like this to compare it to...

• Haha 2

Why are people suggesting £50k a week is a no from us. We had players on that last season. 

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

Signing an out-of-favour striker from Everton on enormous wages...what could go wrong? It's not like there's a relatively recent example of the club doing anything like this to compare it to...

Only Naismith came with an £8m fee and King is potentially a free agent.

7 minutes ago, Clint said:

Why are people suggesting £50k a week is a no from us. We had players on that last season. 

Apparently not, £30k was our highest wage allegedly. 

4 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Drmic was supposed to be on £50k p/w, and after the 50% wage cut the club stated that only one player would be on wages of over £20k p/w this season, so one player must have been on wages of over £40k p/w last season

5 hours ago, king canary said:

Why wouldn't he throw himself into a relegation scrap? He played for Bournemouth most of his career and they were involved in the odd relegation battle.

I guess it is possibly unfair, it is my pretty baseless opinion. 

I see him as an experienced / seasoned international who is used to years of good wages, opposed to a hungry rough gem looking for a chance to prove himself.  We have space for a few seasoned international players who act as leaders in the squad, we already have Krul, Tettey, and Pukki.  Not sure how many I would go for, probably 3 or 4.

Separately I also think it would hugely limit the number of opportunities for our young stars to demonstrate what they can do in the first team.

He seems like a Steve Bruce type signing to me - equally that could be totally unfair, as I do not know him. 

Edited by Newtopia

1 hour ago, HazzaJet said:

Drmic was supposed to be on £50k p/w,

People just got that from Football Manager though, a computer game.

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Drmic is still the highest paid player at the club and I don’t play Football Manager. Much more a fan of Championship Manager but that was about 25 years ago! 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Source?

If it was Swiss Ramble or similar, I might believe it. James Kent and his ilk on the other hand...

9 hours ago, Clint said:

Drmic is still the highest paid player at the club and I don’t play Football Manager. Much more a fan of Championship Manager but that was about 25 years ago! 

Thank you Clint, I don’t play Football Manager either! As I’ve said already, although we don’t know for certain that Drmic was on wages of £50k p/w due to the uncertainty of the truth of wages, after the 50% wage cuts the club stated that only one player would be on wages of over £20k p/w this season, so one player must have been on wages of over £40k p/w last season.

However, this was before the new signings arrived and I reckon that from where they’ve come from more than one player is probably on wages of over £20k now 

10 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Source?

If it was Swiss Ramble or similar, I might believe it. James Kent and his ilk on the other hand...

I find £30k a tough figure to believe considering our accounts claimed a total wage bill north of £80m? I know it isn't as simple as this but someone on £30kp/w would be getting just over £1.5m a year- I struggle to see how that could be our highest wage and also that we're paying out £80m+ a year in wages. 

13 hours ago, Newtopia said:

I guess it is possibly unfair, it is my pretty baseless opinion. 

I see him as an experienced / seasoned international who is used to years of good wages, opposed to a hungry rough gem looking for a chance to prove himself.  We have space for a few seasoned international players who act as leaders in the squad, we already have Krul, Tettey, and Pukki.  Not sure how many I would go for, probably 3 or 4.

Separately I also think it would hugely limit the number of opportunities for our young stars to demonstrate what they can do in the first team.

He seems like a Steve Bruce type signing to me - equally that could be totally unfair, as I do not know him. 

Fair enough- I think it is easy to fall into the idea that young = hungry and old = not that bothered. 

I'm of the opinion that we need significantly better competition/backup for Pukki than we had last year and a player with 48 Premier League goals and the ability to also play out wide fits the bill from an outside stand point. However you'd imagine Webber would be doing his due diligence on his character and his work rate. 

I'm not certain King is the best option going but if he did fancy the move and the wages were reasonable I think he'd be worth a gamble and would likely end up costing us less than trying to poach someone from the Championship. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, king canary said:

I find £30k a tough figure to believe considering our accounts claimed a total wage bill north of £80m? I know it isn't as simple as this but someone on £30kp/w would be getting just over £1.5m a year- I struggle to see how that could be our highest wage and also that we're paying out £80m+ a year in wages. 

In my head, £30K a week was the benchmark for our players in or around the first team last time in the PL. Some would be on more, some, probably a lot of the younger ones, less. But probably no significant deviations from that average.

However, I'll be the first to admit this is based on nothing other than what I've picked up reading on here and elsewhere. But as you say KC,

(total wage bill - non-playing staff)/number of players in the squad

is a good yardstick to estimate it. Guessing at a £20 million bill for non-playing staff (probably an over-estimate?), and a squad of 30 (to allow for the "Leitners"), this is just over £38,000 a week. This doesn't allow anything to pay academy players though, so £30K a week does look a reasonable average.

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

In my head, £30K a week was the benchmark for our players in or around the first team last time in the PL. Some would be on more, some, probably a lot of the younger ones, less. But probably no significant deviations from that average.

However, I'll be the first to admit this is based on nothing other than what I've picked up reading on here and elsewhere. But as you say KC,

(total wage bill - non-playing staff)/number of players in the squad

is a good yardstick to estimate it. Guessing at a £20 million bill for non-playing staff (probably an over-estimate?), and a squad of 30 (to allow for the "Leitners"), this is just over £38,000 a week. This doesn't allow anything to pay academy players though, so £30K a week does look a reasonable average.

I'd be highly surprised if our non playing staff was £20m- there will be a few well paid people such as coaches and scouts but the majority of non-playing staff would be people working the ticket office or concession stands  who are likely on or close to minimum wage. 

I'd imagine your right though that our average was probably around £30-35k- but if that is our average it would suggest a few would need to be on more than that, so I don't think claims of players like Drmic being on something in the £40-50k mark would be hugely off.

• Like 1

I believe a reasonable chunk of our wage bill will be bonuses and contract clauses. It may include signing on fees at various other payments aside from the regular contracted salary.

an affordable proven prem attacker, lots to like about this one.

If we could get him to agree to heavily bonus related conpensation and a reduction in wages if we go down then it could be a solid option as back up to Pukki/ competing to start at 10.

I suspect he'll have several lucrative options abroad so he'd have to be really keen to stay in the prem for it to work.

Of course the deal could go incredibly well and then we have a team that has stayed up and he's been a key part of that. He'd be a hell of an asset then. 2 year deal for no more than £30k a week (perhaps more with bonuses for staying up)