Is anybody watching them against Portugal u23, England are awful, how Boothroyd is employed by th the FA is beyond me. The highlight was when the commentator said after a Portugal attack broke down “it’s not a surprise that skipp mops up the attack. We are in the last few minutes & we haven’t had a shot on target 

• Like 1

Boothroyd bottlers due to Boothroyd being a second rate coach/manager and always has been.  These players come with excellent pedigrees but look poor when playing his tactics or whatever he is asking them to do.  If Switzerland avoid defeat to Portugal nothing England can do to qualify and even if they win it may not be enough.  

25 minutes ago, Top corner said:

Is anybody watching them against Portugal u23, England are awful, how Boothroyd is employed by th the FA is beyond me. The highlight was when the commentator said after a Portugal attack broke down “it’s not a surprise that skipp mops up the attack. We are in the last few minutes & we haven’t had a shot on target 

Yes I watched it . Bloody frustrating when I believe we’ve got such great attacking talent ( Todd included of course !  ) but with someone in charge who doesn’t know what to do with it . 

Skipp had a bit of a mare for the first goal but otherwise was a class above the rest. I guess he was trying to be the entire midfield by himself. They really have no clue how to play a 4-5-1 properly. There was absolutely no link between the defensive 6 and the attacking 5.

Surely Cantwell would do better than that poor showing?

Well now that England U21s are effectively out of the competition, Cantwell may get a cameo role just so they can say he “ was given a chance, but he’s trying too hard to impress” then they can go right back to four defensive midfielders screening a back five. 

Really feel for all the lads in this talented group. For many of them the U21s is the last chance of international football and it passes so quickly.

25 minutes ago, crispeduk said:

Really feel for all the lads in this talented group. For many of them the U21s is the last chance of international football and it passes so quickly.

Yeah, maybe after such a poor showing , we should have to pre qualify as suggested(in another thread) for other poor teams in the Grown ups World Cup.

I rememer reading a reporter shortly after Boothroyd was appointed stating that there were much better coaches than Boothroyd but because he had worked with someone at the FA before he got the job. Once again sums up the FA.

• Like 1

Boothroyd is completely inept. When he was interviewed before the game, ignoring the time lag, he looked like the numbnut in the Harry Enfield Dime bar ad for those of you old enough to remember. Clueless

The Manager at Swansea has them playing good football, and also won a World Cup whilst coaching England under 17's. I wonder why he wasn't promoted with the FA. 

Don't mention the word - Cheap

Many of these players train week in week out with international players , under international coaches. 

Boothroyd stands out like a sore thumb . He had limited success once , with Watford . 

It was a desperate watch last night . Technically good players lacking shape or motivation - particularly out of possession . The Swiss and Portuguese were the complete opposite. 

Some of the players look as if they think they are too important . Old fashioned opinion I know but the young England players , earning Premier League wages , don’t seem to have the drive or desire? They are used to leaving it to other players at Club level. Against Switzerland Hudson Odoi just wandered off the pitch to change his boots and then wandered back on again. He (rightly) got a yellow for entering the field of play without permission . It was all a bit pathetic . 

Todd will get some sort of meaningless cameo when we are about to get knocked out. Total waste of time . 

He shouldve never been given the job in the first place, coming off the back of sackings at Coventry and Northampton.

He shouldve never have kept his job after the disaster of the last tournament of when he had a squad which had AWB, Foden, Maddison, Abraham, Calvert-Lewin etc. Failed to get out of thr group. Got humiliated by Romania especially Hagi who now plays for Rangers and Puscas now at Reading.

Over the last few years weve had alot of success in our juniors, winning things with 17s, 18s, 20s etc but our u21s are woeful for some reason. Had no shots on target from open play in 2 games.

12 hours ago, nutty nigel said:

Boothroyd should get out of football and have another go at the speaker job...

Wasn't that Betty his mum ?  😂

• Haha 1

I would imagine Boothroyd's days are numbered, they have been awful for a while

Just pray Skipp, Airrons and Cantwell don't return confused and demoralised!  What a waste of f%cking time.

• Like 1

An appalling so-called 'manager' who has more in common with the 1980s Charles Hughes 'POMO' school than he does with the modern game. Shouldn't be anywhere near the England setup, let alone coaching the U21s. I invest in international football as a global spectacle these days, rather than having any particular affinity to England. Of course I support them in major tournaments, but it's best not to invest any emotional capital in anything above grassroots level that's run by the FA. St George's Park was 20 years too late, and the hierarchy is full of old dinosaurs who are too set in their ways to challenge the status quo.

Boothroyd himself is only at the FA because former Norwich youth player Dan Ashworth ended up as the FA's "director of elite development", and then got Boothroyd in to coach England U20s because he worked under him at Watford. Jobs for the boys, innit.