Sign in to follow this  
Yellow and Green

The French Leagues

Clubs in the French leagues are struggling financially after the main company showing football, MediaPro, missed several payments earlier in the season. Whilst Canal+ have stepped up recently, there will be a huge opportunity to buy talented players for reduced fees.

Whilst Brexit has ruined the chances of attracting players from League 2 (where Kante and Mahrez came from), there may be potential players in League 1...

Does anyone follow French football close enough to be able to suggest players that we might be interested in?

Sorry, but pointless thread or what? Like someone from the scouting department will read it and think “that’s a good idea, we didn’t think of that”. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Sorry, but pointless thread or what? Like someone from the scouting department will read it and think “that’s a good idea, we didn’t think of that”. 

Why? It's an interesting point about the lack of money in French football and I'd also be interested to know who people who watch French football rate.

I dont think the op ever suggested that the scouting department wouldn't have though of it.

• Like 2

Essentially, most of our transfer recruitment pages over the past four years have been pointless because, nine times out of ten, no one ever knows who most of Webber/Farke's signings are.

The French market is full of talent and particularly vulnerable right now, so I'd say that it would be quite relevant to a club who are about to come into a fair bit of money. 

Whether anyone has any insights to the French leagues or not, its one to look out for.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

There’s a young player at PSG called Mbappe who is apparently quite good. Maybe we could put in an offer for him.

Reminds me of the time Derby spent over £1m on a recruitment team to scout france, they identified ousmane dembele and mbappe who were rated at about £200m combined at the time. 

3 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

Essentially, most of our transfer recruitment pages over the past four years have been pointless because, nine times out of ten, no one ever knows who most of Webber/Farke's signings are.

The French market is full of talent and particularly vulnerable right now, so I'd say that it would be quite relevant to a club who are about to come into a fair bit of money. 

Whether anyone has any insights to the French leagues or not, its one to look out for.

Well, true. Whenever I see a thread started with a random player’s name, I check to see if it’s someone we’ve been linked with. If not, it’s about as interesting as a discussion on what numbers might come up in the next lottery draw.