Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

League One

They say the Championship is competitive but League One is incredibly open this year - after today's games 5th to 16th are separated by 9 points. Ipswich have 5 points from their last 6 league games yet are still only 2 points off the playoffs.

Only Shrewsbury in 17th have nothing much to play for at 11 points off the playoffs and 10 clear of relegation. The bottom 6 are also all within  5 points and Burton in 18th could still be dragged back into the fight.

Is this the affect of no fans and reduced home advantage, or just that everyone has levelled at a very poor standard?

22 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

They say the Championship is competitive but League One is incredibly open this year - after today's games 5th to 16th are separated by 9 points. Ipswich have 5 points from their last 6 league games yet are still only 2 points off the playoffs.

Only Shrewsbury in 17th have nothing much to play for at 11 points off the playoffs and 10 clear of relegation. The bottom 6 are also all within  5 points and Burton in 18th could still be dragged back into the fight.

Is this the affect of no fans and reduced home advantage, or just that everyone has levelled at a very poor standard?

Yes the latter. 

33 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Competitive or simply poor?A bit like all the leagues in this covid affected/ fan free season.No fans has had,I feel, a great affect in quite a lot of games.

There's no money in L1, so the players will be of lesser quality as that's where most the money in football goes.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame Lincoln have started to fall away, would have been amazing them going up

Yes, would like to see them go up.

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

There's no money in L1, so the players will be of lesser quality as that's where most the money in football goes.

Hey, you've lost me there ?

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

I think the season's revenue is about £1.5m per club. All the rest has to be from gate receipts, player dealings, shirts and pies.
Bit of a shame really as if you're in/near places like Lincoln it's your only reasonable chance of watching regular league football.

52 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

It’s a terrible standard . To be honest it has been for years - lots of long passes and reliance on re starts.  It this year is as bad as ever . 
Every time I have a cursory look at the results the teams I thought were  in form have lost ! It’s a bit of a lottery I think - only Sunderland look to have any long term form . 
Any half decent team would be 10 points clear .

Russell Martin, Andrew Surman  and Cameron Jerome are about to march past the binners in a late run to the play-offs💪

We should remember that there is a salary cap in this league now...so some of the 'bigger, wealthier' clubs in that league perhaps dont have the advantages that they would have otherwise. Maybe its therefore no surprise that the standard is all of a fairly even (average/poor) level..

5 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

We should remember that there is a salary cap in this league now...so some of the 'bigger, wealthier' clubs in that league perhaps dont have the advantages that they would have otherwise. Maybe its therefore no surprise that the standard is all of a fairly even (average/poor) level..

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/feb/09/league-one-two-scrap-salary-cap-after-appeal-by-players-union-pfa

27 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

No there isn't. 

Looks as though Cambridge will be joining Ipswich's league next season.
Hope Hollahan stays on !

12 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Hey, you've lost me there 

League position is often closely related to playing budget, the more money spent on players normally results in a higher league position. 

League 1 has very little in the way of £, they have a tiny fraction of the TV money etc. It's very difficult these days for a L1 club to do what we did, and romp through the leagues.

12 hours ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

It’s a terrible standard . To be honest it has been for years - lots of long passes and reliance on re starts.  It this year is as bad as ever . 
Every time I have a cursory look at the results the teams I thought were  in form have lost ! It’s a bit of a lottery I think - only Sunderland look to have any long term form . 
Any half decent team would be 10 points clear .

I've watched the few games that have been on tv this season. Only Lincoln looked interested in playing a passing game and they were quite good to watch. Like you say, the rest are awful and whoever goes up will struggle.

• Like 1