Amanda T

Why can't the EFL push the Preston v Norwich match back one

Players playing for their country then comming back to be involved in the Preston game sheer madness.

Edited by Amanda T
Word

4 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

There appears to be a full round of championship fixtures on Good Friday ...most teams will have internationals of one kind or another. If they do it for us they'd have to do it for everyone

I don' know whether this is true but on one rival fans' forum it was said that Watford, for example, have 11 players away, and they are playing on the Friday. If anything we have the advantage that our second game has been moved from the Monday to the Tuesday.

Edited by PurpleCanary

Indeed I think it is a case of 'not just us' but you'd expect the closer you get to the top, the more teams will have missing.

The most sensible option would have been to have everyone play on the Saturday and then the Wednesday. The excuse that 'the fixtures are always like this on Easter weekend' is moot as there are no fans.   

23 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

The excuse that 'the fixtures are always like this on Easter weekend' is moot as there are no fans.   

When did what suited the fans ever factor in their decisions? 

Clearly it isn’t just us affected - I don’t think anyone suggested it is - but the option should have been there if one side wanted the fixture moved; similarly the Monday games should have moved.

The ‘benefit’ of a bank holiday crowd/atmosphere is completely irrelevant if there’s no fans. I don’t blame PNE per se as the efl should have instructed them to move the game.

50 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Clearly it isn’t just us affected - I don’t think anyone suggested it is - but the option should have been there if one side wanted the fixture moved; similarly the Monday games should have moved.

The ‘benefit’ of a bank holiday crowd/atmosphere is completely irrelevant if there’s no fans. I don’t blame PNE per se as the efl should have instructed them to move the game.

But on that basis in the future a team could move a game we wanted to stay put!

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

I don' know whether this is true but on one rival fans' forum it was said that Watford, for example, have 11 players away, and they are playing on the Friday. If anything we have the advantage that our second game has been moved from the Monday to the Tuesday.

I think these are the Watford players from their first team that are on international duty-Sema, Cathcart, Bachmann, Zinckernagel and Gray.

3E814AFA-CE79-4BFF-A0A6-4D9D8BFCA9AF.jpeg

• Like 1

We need to just crack on with it, give the fringe players and/or kids a run out in this promotion celebration 

If you moved this game to Saturday in order to avoid players playing twice in 48 hours, you'd then have to move Preston's next game to the Tuesday. You'd also have to do the same for Watford and Brentford's games, as they'd no doubt argue Norwich were being given preferential treatment.  

All of this could, and probably should, have been done weeks ago but changing the dates of two entire rounds of fixtures at such short notice isn't going to happen.

We have quite a deep squad, so realistically we should be able to cope.

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

But on that basis in the future a team could move a game we wanted to stay put!

Why? Imo you seem to be coming at this from the ‘wrong’ end. I understood there was an agreement in the game that players weren’t meant to play again within 48hours - hence Easter Saturday games being moved back to Good Friday (note that when Brentford’s game was moved to Saturday for tv their Monday game was put back to Tuesday) and PL games are routinely moved to the Sunday when sides play Europa games on a Thursday.  The only difference here is players are representing their country rather than their club.

Of course there may be exceptions, but it’s really not rocket science to have applied a sensible approach - particularly with no crowds involved and more particularly when games are routinely moved to whenever suits the whim of tv companies.

Edited by Branston Pickle

1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

Why? Imo you seem to be coming at this from the ‘wrong’ end. I understood there was an agreement in the game that players weren’t meant to play again within 48hours - hence Easter Saturday games being moved back to Good Friday (note that when Brentford’s game was moved to Saturday for tv their Monday game was put back to Tuesday) and PL games are routinely moved to the Sunday when sides play Europa games on a Thursday.  The only difference here is players are representing their country rather than their club.

Of course there may be exceptions, but it’s really not rocket science to have applied a sensible approach - particularly with no crowds involved and more particularly when games are routinely moved to whenever suits the whim of tv companies.

But from Preston's point of view it isn't sensible. I don't know how many players they have on international duty (they certainly have at least one, who won't be available to play against us after a red card) but the number is likely to be significatly less than our total, and although they look safe, with their appalling form they could get sucked into the relegation zone.

As far as they are concerned anything that increases their chances of a result against us is to be welcomed and I am as sure as I can be that if the positions were reversed we would insist on the game going ahead on the Friday.

That’s what I said.  It’s the efl at fault if anyone is - they have a duty of care to players in allowing recovery time and should also ensure fairness to all sides  (not just us and PNE) which they aren’t doing.

But it is what it is - since when has common sense ever got in the way in football governance..

Edited by Branston Pickle