Being linked with some pretty underwhelming names so far - especially for a serious stab at staying in the premiership if we go up.

Vaulks- champ fodder and ageing (presumably for Skip - gulp!) . Some dude from Dutch second division-

not exactly the 4/5 necessary upgrades needed. Why do I fear we will, again, fail to recruit and therefore compete? 

Early days I know but recent links are hardly setting the heart racing...

I'd relax about it to be honest, we know that our scouts will have almost hundreds of names for the short and medium term and for the eventuality of  either promotion or if the truly bizarre was to happen and we were to stay down. It seems to me that some of these are being floated for reasons other than the truth; for example its a bit of a slow news week with the internationals and so thats filling the pages, some of the links appear to be recycling names we've been linked to in the past. The next is that with our strong position lots of agents will be trying to get their players names out there in the hope that either we pick them up, or other clubs will take notice that their player is being 'linked with soon to be promoted Norwich City'.

I think we all have to temper our expectations, I love the talknorwich city lads for example but the 75 million budget thats been on their transfer videos is extremely unlikely and I worry too many fans are getting the wrong end of the stick of being in a better position to last time. I think its likely we will spend somewhere in the region of £20-35 million spread over maybe 5-6 players, possibly less players bought and a couple on loan too. 

Anyway, relax and enjoy it, if we do get over the line I think it should be a fun summer with plenty of twists and turns and maybe a few surprises too! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Being linked with some pretty underwhelming names so far - especially for a serious stab at staying in the premiership if we go up.

Vaulks- champ fodder and ageing (presumably for Skip - gulp!) . Some dude from Dutch second division-

not exactly the 4/5 necessary upgrades needed. Why do I fear we will, again, fail to recruit and therefore compete? 

unlike you to be so negative about our club 😜

It's just agent and press talk. Keiran Scott's been on the record several times to say that most of the people we've been "linked" to historically are nonsense.

This is an interesting one. Didn’t really know who he was, but in his highlight real he looks like an all action player. Skipp-like in the way he manages to get a foot in at the right time. Although bought by Bristol for £7m odd so they would want a nice return. 

CFB4D9E0-B29A-41FD-BA6F-87DF4A0D2B32.jpeg

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

What a surprising post from DCB who's been ever so quiet for the majority of this season.

As for why you've now decided to take a couple of very limited rumours in March as gospel for our transfer strategy is beyond me, or at least it would be if it wasn't clear its just a desperate clutching at straws attempt to criticise the club.

1 hour ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Vaulks "ageing"? 

I mean, if you want to get technical, with each passing second he gets one second older, so we are all ageing.

But he's 27 and a half.

He's half way through his career.  Year younger than Holt was when he signed for us, and a year older than Hoolahan was at that same time. 

Not every signing has to be a 20 year old that you hope you can sell on for a £15m profit, if a player signs for us and plays six years of regular football before being released, that is also something to consider a good investment! 

Iwan Roberts was 28 when he signed for us. Darren Huckerby was 27, Teemu Pukki was 28, Tettey was 26. 

Its just a ridiculous thing to say!

• Like 3

My point was that he hasnt really looked good enough for the Premiership and, at 27, is unlikely to improve. Not impossible- Holt being a late developer- but unlikely. 

I just don’t think he is the type of signing we need to make a decent fist of staying up. 

I've been touting Massengo since the first tme I saw him play, and nothing has changed since. He seems to have had limited recognition though.

I had thought that he had come up through the Bristol ranks but I'm not surprised that he cost a bit.

Destined for the PL, imo, but probably at £10m+. What a brilliant start to the Summer's business he would be, but I fear it might be wishful thinking.

As for the wider picture, I have every reason to have total faith in our recruitment system, in Farke and in Webber to find the necessary players for next season's campaign without breaking the bank.

It will likely be a combination of "finds," as this young defender might well be, like Emi, Argos and others, mid-priced additions (whatever that might mean,) quite expensive loans and our existing talent, both established and up-coming.

Also, I wouldn't want any of our current achievers to have a "Malky" done on them, whatever.

Edited by BroadstairsR

Heavy sigh. This (assuming promotion) is going to be a very long summer. Posters are going to have to pace themselves and try some exasperation/anger management techniques before replying...😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm amazed that anyone takes any notice of stories linking us to players. 95% of them are little more than lazy journalism or clubs and agents trying to move a player on. Webber has done very well at keeping our actual potential signings out of the press.

• Like 3

Buendía? The guy who can't even make it at Getafe and is on loan in the Spanish 3rd tier? God, our club is falling apart wanting players like that. Skipp? Wow, some unproven kid that Spurs are desperate to throw away on loan.

Pukki? Great, some Scottish divison flop, doubt he will even score five goals for us!

The last thing we need is some big time Charlies signing on big money who are not good enough. We have been there, done that and nearly lost the Club altogether.

The way the Club recruits is not going to change just because we have been promoted.

• Thanks 1

We havent even signed anyone yet and weve already started moaning about who we might be signing 🙈

You have to remember our summer recruitment wouldve started a while back and that would include players for 2 possibilities, championship and premier league. Some rumours you hear could be players we were interested in if we were to stay in the champ.

Alot of rumours are also just agent talk, get their name out there, to get their player a better move or a better deal where they are.

It's almost as if the press just make crap at this time of the season regarding transfers. Just wait until the end of the window (one not yet open) before pant wetting 👍

If you look at Sheffield United last season and the kind of players who kept them up with flying colours then top, experienced championship players are probably a better bet to stay up than yet more kids. In reality it will probably be a mix but this time leaning more towards experience, but people need to forget the idea that we'll be going for the likes of Toney etc. We won't be.

Edited by Mr.Carrow

6 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

My point was that he hasnt really looked good enough for the Premiership and, at 27, is unlikely to improve. Not impossible- Holt being a late developer- but unlikely. 

I just don’t think he is the type of signing we need to make a decent fist of staying up. 

You are right, we should go back to signing big name international players who have proven themselves in the Premier League.... Like Naismith, Jarvis, and Elmander. 

• Like 2

The thing about looking to sign the best Championship players is that there really aren't any. Last time we went up the stand out visiting player was the lad at Swansea who went to Manchester United. He stood out like a sore thumb but I don't recall seeing anyone that good this time round.

If Fulham are relegated I would be keen on Lamina who is on loan there from Southampton. But he's done so well that Southampton may want to keep him.

18 hours ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

We're not even promoted yet. Give it a bloody rest.

• Like 1

"some dude from the Dutch second division". If you don't even know his name how are you so sure he isnt an upgrade.

Ohh you don't, you just want a moan because anyone less than a top 6 premier League player must be rubbish by definition of not being there already. 

The fact that a big premiership club hasn't picked a player up doesn't mean they are not good enough, it just means they haven't proven themselves, something the big clubs insist on because they don't need to take the risk. Even then they make frequent errors. 

18 hours ago, 1902 said:

"some dude from the Dutch second division". If you don't even know his name how are you so sure he isnt an upgrade.

Ohh you don't, you just want a moan because anyone less than a top 6 premier League player must be rubbish by definition of not being there already. 

The fact that a big premiership club hasn't picked a player up doesn't mean they are not good enough, it just means they haven't proven themselves, something the big clubs insist on because they don't need to take the risk. Even then they make frequent errors. 

And there you have it. Some people accept they dont know it all, including Sir Alex Ferguson,  while others are certain they have all the answers.