Sign in to follow this  
KiwiScot

The Alba Party

Thought this deserved a separate thread than the Independence one which I've been relucant to post on.

Basically in the upcoming Scottish election it's a shoe in for the SNP in my opinion(with an interesting potential for a hung parliment), but Alex Salmond just lauched the Alba party with it's only mandate being independence. The first reaction is its a laughable and disgusting action in the way it's found a flaw in the voting system to exploit. But no one expects it to work so it's a nothing to lose scenario in my opinion. Basically 2 things. 1) You hate the goverment(or/and the SNP), but want independence = Vote Alba. 2) You vote SNP in the 2nd regional vote, but millions of those votes won't help win seats so = Vote Alba. It's got a risk of denting a few seats off the SNP, but this potentially is happening anyway and the PR voting system loves tatical voting so like I said nothing to lose and riches to gain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Did I read that Alba will only contest the regional seats?

Yes so that way votes cast for them won't be reduced by any first past the post wins. SNP only got 4 of the regional seats last time, but then they needed the Greens for a majority. Of course if it succeeds it could potentially destablise the actual governing of Scotland, but they only care about Independence.

This looks very much like Scotland's version of 'Change UK'. 

Attempting to get the list seats may be their only chance but Alecth Salmond has a very low favourability rating.

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

This looks very much like Scotland's version of 'Change UK'. 

Attempting to get the list seats may be their only chance but Alecth Salmond has a very low favourability rating.

I'm sure his rating will be higher than the parliamentary liar.... 😉

28 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I'm sure his rating will be higher than the parliamentary liar.... 😉

Which one? Ours or theirs?

Edited by keelansgrandad

9 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The one that lied in PM parliamentary questions about whether he had complained about us not joining the failed EU vaccine scheme....... and then has an alleged punchup with Boris and had to admit he was wrong.  No...not Starmer.  😂

Edited by paul moy

3 hours ago, paul moy said:

The one that lied in PM parliamentary questions about whether he had complained about us not joining the failed EU vaccine scheme....... and then has an alleged punchup with Boris and had to admit he was wrong.  No...not Starmer.  😂

Say who you mean. Or are you just lying again. Because you mention "he". And we are discussing Scotland's politics. Yet you refer to the EU again.

So you don't think Boris lied? 

4 minutes ago, Van wink said:

Alba made pretty low grade radiograms

Top quality walkmans though.🥴

Perhaps he should have called it the Fidelity party.........oh hold on a minute.........😉

33 minutes ago, Herman said:

Alex Salmond. The Matsui of Scottish politics.

Seeking members at launch of Bush party

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

Thought this deserved a separate thread than the Independence one which I've been relucant to post on.

Basically in the upcoming Scottish election it's a shoe in for the SNP in my opinion(with an interesting potential for a hung parliment), but Alex Salmond just lauched the Alba party with it's only mandate being independence. The first reaction is its a laughable and disgusting action in the way it's found a flaw in the voting system to exploit. But no one expects it to work so it's a nothing to lose scenario in my opinion. Basically 2 things. 1) You hate the goverment(or/and the SNP), but want independence = Vote Alba. 2) You vote SNP in the 2nd regional vote, but millions of those votes won't help win seats so = Vote Alba. It's got a risk of denting a few seats off the SNP, but this potentially is happening anyway and the PR voting system loves tatical voting so like I said nothing to lose and riches to gain.

Better voting model than the **** we've got, that's for sure.

• Like 2

Salmond found not guilty but not denying the accusations that he isn't good with women.

Is that like saying Mint Sauce isn't good with Custard?

Interesting interview with Professor Sir John Curtice this morning on the potential impact of Alba. He reckons if the polls start to show <6% for them then the party is likely to have little impact. Anything >10% means they may have a fighting chance of influencing the shape of the next Parliament.

The remaining candidates must be announced by Wednesday so it will be interesting to see who else joins them but to date it appears to just be a few Salmond devotees, old school SNP headbangers (who probably think Braveheart is a documentary) and Comrade Tommy Sheridan (who has had a, ahem, very interesting career). Hopefully by then AS and his candidates will all at least have been told how to pronounce Alba properly. 🤣

Apples

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2021 at 10:52, keelansgrandad said:

10 points to Griffindor!

Seriously, can't stand Nicola Sturgeon so anything that annoys her and puts the dampers on her attempting to bribe the Scottish electorate with English money (that ironically, will disappear if she gets her way and gains independence) is a winner in my book.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Apples said:

Interesting interview with Professor Sir John Curtice this morning on the potential impact of Alba. He reckons if the polls start to show <6% for them then the party is likely to have little impact. Anything >10% means they may have a fighting chance of influencing the shape of the next Parliament.

The remaining candidates must be announced by Wednesday so it will be interesting to see who else joins them but to date it appears to just be a few Salmond devotees, old school SNP headbangers (who probably think Braveheart is a documentary) and Comrade Tommy Sheridan (who has had a, ahem, very interesting career). Hopefully by then AS and his candidates will all at least have been told how to pronounce Alba properly. 🤣

Apples

What is with the weird pronunciation? Andrew Marr was at it as well. 

24 minutes ago, Herman said:

What is with the weird pronunciation? Andrew Marr was at it as well. 

It's a (Scottish) Gaelic word and so should have 3 syllables...which you would have thought these dedicated patriots/nationalists might just have known.🤔🤣

Apples

9 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Comrade Tommy Sheridan (who has had a, ahem, very interesting career)

Oh dear god that really is scrapping no wait that would be Galloway. Interesting one person party in his day and does have a following.

On 27/03/2021 at 10:59, paul moy said:

Was Boris sh***** his wife, he does not seem to be able to keep it in his trousers.

To be fair to the guy I voted for Johnson and as I hate liars if he knocked on my door for my support in the election I would deck him, as I would any Alex Belfield supporters.

By the way where’s my link ?

16yr olds get the vote in this election. Another stunt to get in more independence votes.

• Like 1

On 29/03/2021 at 16:43, Mr Apples said:

It's a (Scottish) Gaelic word and so should have 3 syllables...which you would have thought these dedicated patriots/nationalists might just have known.🤔🤣

Apples

Or indeed if they knew the Runrig song of the same name - al-ah-pa!

13 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Or indeed if they knew the Runrig song of the same name - al-ah-pa!

I think Marr may have been saying it right in that case. Apologies to the wingnut.😀

On 29/03/2021 at 16:43, Mr Apples said:

Apples

It’s Al-a-buh.

Of all the controversies surrounding Alex Salmond’s new political party, his inability to pronounce it was the most unexpected. When you’re one of the most famous Scottish nationalists in history, launching a new party named after the Gaelic word for Scotland, you really should research how to say it in the native tongue. Instead, the former first minister enraged purists and amused opponents by enunciating Alba with a suspiciously Sassenach two syllables.

😀

Edited by Van wink
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Van wink said:

It’s Al-a-buh.

Of all the controversies surrounding Alex Salmond’s new political party, his inability to pronounce it was the most unexpected. When you’re one of the most famous Scottish nationalists in history, launching a new party named after the Gaelic word for Scotland, you really should research how to say it in the native tongue. Instead, the former first minister enraged purists and amused opponents by enunciating Alba with a suspiciously Sassenach two syllables.

😀

It sounds a bit more "p" than "b" to me, but such quibbles aside, this website is pretty good at this sort of thing for those who are interested.

Pronunciations for Alba in Scottish Gaelic (from Flùr na h-Alba to tì na h-Alba) (forvo.com)

• Like 1