Sign in to follow this  
Icecream Snow

England U21 vs Switzerland U21

The 3-4-3 is such a negative formation in comparison to the 3-5-1 we play; they're effectively playing an extra defender at the expense of a creative midfielder. Skipp is more than capable of adding the extra defensive cover when the fullbacks push on so that extra centreback makes it a really backwards setup.

I bet our lads arent enjoying this at all compared to playing for Norwich and the way we play our football.

Watching the last 25 mins, it's been really poor... bad decisions all over the place and gifting the ball to the swiss constantly.  Swiss look significantly better - like a bigger kid holding a smaller one at arms length...

Maybe a touch unfair being as he only had about 15 mins... but if that's all Brewster brings to the party, I really hope we don't try to get him in as has been suggested by some.

14 minutes ago, Yellow Wal said:

I just hope I am not going to see such a negative display later. What a boring match.

Are you suggesting that Gareth 'I'm going to pick favorites rather than pick players based on form and play two defensive midfielders in the middle' Southgate could ever be negative

I'm working so only caught patches but we appeared to carry no offensive threat at all and that is criminal with the talent available. Players appeared to be playing within themselves, with inhibition. To coin a phrase that has done a fair bit of living on this forum, there was no ambition. I don't know whether the players are just playing to direction or if they were scared to try something leftfield to unlock the defence. Whatever it was, they played with little expression, verve or flair and we know that the likes of Smith-Rowe, Hudson-Odoi, Curtis Jones or even Todd Cantwell have that ability at their disposal, so why aren't they showing it? 

There's only one answer and while completely unoriginal, that buck has to stop in the dugout. 

Must be such a delight to go from being coached by Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Arteta, Tuchel etc to being coached by the guy who's last 2 jobs involved getting sacked by Coventry and Northampton.

How he kept his job after the last euro disaster is beyond me. Alot of young english coaches out there who would do a much better job than him. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Are you suggesting that Gareth 'I'm going to pick favorites rather than pick players based on form and play two defensive midfielders in the middle' Southgate could ever be negative

I think that's quite unfair on Southgate, he's done a good job as England manager and has given plenty of players opportunities regardless of what club they are at.  There are plenty of past England managers who are far more guilty of only picking favourites.

5 minutes ago, Move Klose said:

Must be such a delight to go from being coached by Klopp, Ancelotti, Mourinho, Arteta, Tuchel etc to being coached by the guy who's last 2 jobs involved getting sacked by Coventry and Northampton.

How he kept his job after the last euro disaster is beyond me. Alot of young english coaches out there who would do a much better job than him. 

Couldn’t have put it better .

1 hour ago, Move Klose said:

I said on another thread that I was baffled that Todd wasn't in the squad and wondered if there were really 7 young English midfield players better than him. It turns out that there arent. What a shambles. God help English football 

15 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I said on another thread that I was baffled that Todd wasn't in the squad and wondered if there were really 7 young English midfield players better than him. It turns out that there arent. What a shambles. God help English football 

Todd was in the squad, was on bench.

From the little I saw of it Skippy had his usual excellent reading of the game and the only challenge he lost was when Brewster tackled him. Perhaps if we don't get Skipp back next season a move for Brewster into DCM role? Pointless as a striker, he doesn't know where the net is

English footballers have always been as good as anywhere else in the world - always. They are consistently let down by bad and sometimes completely inept management and coaching. That applies to the main squad as well as the under 21s. English coaches have been so slow to learn for the last 50 years and are almost always 10 years behind current thinking.

Look at the system Boothroyd played and the players he used - he clearly has no idea about the abilities of the players he has selected. If it wasn't so laughable it would be tragic. Switzerland have less talented players than we do and completely outplayed us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, overthebordercanary said:

Eddie Howe would make a better manager for the Under 21's then Boothroyd

You are probably right. I cant stand goody two shoes EH , but I think he does have what it takes at u21 international level, the team may not win anything but he would get them playing. May suit him better than Club  football. 

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Cantwell must wonder why he bothered to rush over

On the plus side he didn't put a foot wrong and he's well rested!